Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:41 PM

25 posts, read 43,828 times

Advertisements

Seems like a gritty, working class Irish ethnic nabe. A throwback to old city neighborhoods across the country that have since fallen to homogenization, gentrification, white flight etc.

What's it like as of now? St Pattys Day 2015. On street view it looked like an area of south Philly across the river with the rowhouses and stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 02:43 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,862 times
I think Gloucester City has a reputation for being more run-down, higher crime, and less vibrant than most sections of South Philly. Also, it has a reputation for being racist.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:23 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,405,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
Also, it has a reputation for being racist.
Gee, I wonder why...

Old 03-19-2015, 05:20 AM

75 posts, read 110,336 times
Quote:
I think Gloucester City has a reputation for being more run-down, higher crime, and less vibrant than most sections of South Philly. Also, it has a reputation for being racist.
Just about any ethnic neighborhood is going to have a reputation for being racist and/or unfriendly to outsiders who don't fit the ethnicity of the historic residents.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:04 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
You're a college student from North Jersey. Have you been to Gloucester City? Do you know people from Gloucester City? Are you posting hearsay as fact?

Old 03-19-2015, 08:24 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,862 times
Quote:
Today 10:04 AM
southbound_295
Quote:
You're a college student from North Jersey. Have you been to Gloucester City? Do you know people from Gloucester City? Are you posting hearsay as fact?
I've driven through a few times, it didn't seem as bad as Camden, but did strike me as rundown, and certainly not comparable to much of South Philly. As for details on poverty and racism, I've learned a lot from other posters on this forum.

For example, see especially NJGOAT's post #8
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...hing-good.html

This thread also mentions it
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ry-hill-3.html

Older article from the Inquirer
A `Melting Pot' Town Struggles With A Reputation For Racism Gloucester City Police Have Investigated Several Incidents In The Last Year. Tomorrow, Group Discussions On Race Begin. - philly-archives

I didn't say Gloucester City was racist...I said it had a reputation for being racist.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:57 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
I've driven through a few times, it didn't seem as bad as Camden, but did strike me as rundown, and certainly not comparable to much of South Philly. As for details on poverty and racism, I've learned a lot from other posters on this forum.

For example, see especially NJGOAT's post #8
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...hing-good.html

This thread also mentions it
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ry-hill-3.html

Older article from the Inquirer
A `Melting Pot' Town Struggles With A Reputation For Racism Gloucester City Police Have Investigated Several Incidents In The Last Year. Tomorrow, Group Discussions On Race Begin. - philly-archives

I didn't say Gloucester City was racist...I said it had a reputation for being racist.
I've known quite a few people of several generations who are/were natives of Gloucester City who are/were wonderful, give you the shirt off their back kind of people. None were racists but I'm sure that there are some in Gloucester City because you can find them any place.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:56 AM

61 posts, read 78,118 times
Default Gc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestern Maniac View Post
Seems like a gritty, working class Irish ethnic nabe. A throwback to old city neighborhoods across the country that have since fallen to homogenization, gentrification, white flight etc.

What's it like as of now? St Pattys Day 2015. On street view it looked like an area of south Philly across the river with the rowhouses and stuff.
Last time I checked, it was pretty run-down. It reminded me of some of the more run down lower middle class white neighborhoods in Philly i.e. Frankford, Tacony, Torresdale. <- No offense to residents of these; That's where I'm from!

Old 03-19-2015, 01:12 PM

592 posts, read 1,478,888 times
I have many friends living there... I've frequented the bars at all hours...

Is it haddonfield? Oh God no..

But I've never had a problem there.

During the day I'd walk anywhere. At night...eh.. no problem walking to my car after watching a friends band play, but I wouldn't necessarily go for a walk around the town.

No one is really "looking" to move into Gloucester. I dont say to be negative..
but the vast majority of residents probably have some other connection to the town; as solid as living in Gloucester as a kid and marrying your High School sweetheart and then buying a house

Last edited by bellmark; 03-19-2015 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-19-2015, 01:15 PM

592 posts, read 1,478,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestern Maniac View Post

Are you looking to move there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia