Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 7,573 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am a single mom with a special needs child living in Orlando. I have a great career but was recently presented with an offer to possibly relocate to Northern New Jersey. My job would be in Dover but I am not specifically looking to live in that town. I need to know a few things:

First off would a salary range of $70,000 (this includes my child support I receive) be realistically enough to survive there. I have family close by in NYC that say this is doable but pushing it. I am not looking to buy a home but I do need a decent two bedroom. I notice the trend in Jersey is no second bathroom in very few of the apartments which having a ten year old boy not too thrilled with, but I guess I can be ok for now so long as we have two bedrooms.

-What areas are close to Dover that are safe, semi decent rents per month-I saw some around 1,500 which would probably be my max I would want to pay. I currently pay $974.00 in a decent area of Orlando so this $1,500 possibility is a shock but I expected it. If anyone knows a close by area safe and cheaper than this...feel free to share
-Schools, specifically for special needs kids--this is HUGE. Any of the towns close to Dover- I am looking for the one that has the best district for special needs children.
-Besides State tax, what else do I need to be aware of that will be taken out of my check and anything you can think of that is going to be new and a big shock to me...besides the weather.
-I have heard car insurance rates here are very high but I would prefer a more specific on what "really high" is

Overall, I think this could be a great move because anyone who has ever lived in Orlando may know it's not exactly the mecca of quality living or education or anything else aligned with decency, but I am not hasty either since I have a son and it's just me supporting the home. Any honest, real advice is greatly appreciated!! Preferably from people who actually grew up or live in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 02:20 PM

882 posts, read 1,669,709 times
This probably belongs in the North Jersey forum presuming you mean the town of Dover in Morris County, not Toms River.

You can live on 70k since you don't need to worry about mass transit access to NYC you can avoid most expensive towns. Try southern Sussex County, Sparta has a good reputation. Dover itself is fairly safe but overwhelmingly Hispanic, so language might be in issue if you live in the town itself. Overall western Morris and southern Sussex are quiet, beautiful, and safe.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:45 PM

8 posts, read 7,573 times
Thanks for replying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia