Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:31 AM

14 posts, read 28,993 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We live in South Jersey (Haddon TWP) I have an F2 visa (Dependent of an international student), so I'm not allowed to work here. So I can't get a SSN (That's what I was told at the SS office ). I got a NJ driver license 2 weeks ago, and am trying to buy a used car. I'm interested in buying from a private seller off of craigslist or something, but I saw a car online that I liked so I thought I'd give it a try, visited the dealer, test drove it and offered cash to buy the car ($15K). The manager came over, and told me that I can't buy a car since I don't have a SSN.

I visited the DMV, and asked about whether I can or can't register a car under my name; and they informed me that it's legal, once I can show proof of insurance, Valid Social Security Number or proof of exemption (I got a denial letter from the SS office), and my driver license, I told her what the dealer told me; she said dealers have their own rules or something! What kind of an answer is this!

I went back to the dealer, told the manager what the DMV informed me. He said that the DMV just want my $$, but the state of NJ will NOT let me register the car under my name; it's a problem with the State of NJ he said!

He told me that the ONLY way for me to register a car legally in the State of NJ, is to buy a car from a private seller, and have the seller write GIFT or a dollar on the title! What da? Not only is this illegal, but to have a dealer NOT WANT to sell me a car for $$ money??

Now, I want to buy a car from craiglist, if I buy a car from a private seller, have him write down the CORRECT price on the title, would the DMV or the State of NJ (what the heck is the difference??) NOT register the car under my name?

Who should I call to get the right info? Should I trust what the lady at the DMV told me? I don't want to spend cash money and get screwed (No, I don't know anyone with a SSN). I visited a few other dealers and they told me the same thing.

Rant: WTF is wrong with the SS Office, they told me that I don't need SSN, no one will ask you for it, it's ONLY for Americans and stuff. OK, I don't want it damn it!! I need it! It took me FOREVER to lease an apartment, since EVERYONE asks for the freaking SSN. Oh you don't have a social? Nope, we can't lease you an apartment!! Then, I get the BS from a dealer, the last guy that I'd think NOT want to make a $$ sale!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 12:15 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
The dealer can make whatever rules they want but I'm thinking maybe their bank or lending institution may be the ones who specify having an SSN since they would be the ones lending you the money.

Funny because years ago on SSN cards they used to print "Not to be used for ID".

Anyway I think you can buy any used car and register it as long as you have a license and insurance. Insurance is mandatory whenever you have a registered car.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:35 PM

That makes since if I'm financing a car, I mentioned twice to him that I'm buying it for cash money! I specifically remember him asking me how would the state of NJ collect taxes when you don't have a SSN!!!! I said I'll pay you the taxes, that you'll hand to them!! It felt like I was talking to a ninth grade kid or something!

If their bank specifically asks for SSN no matter what, then I'll happily find/buy a car off craigslist. But, he told me that even if I buy a car from a private seller, I won't be able to register it under my name, that it's an issue with the state of NJ! I'm just worried and want the assurance that I won't get shafted after I buy a car and go to the DMV, then they tell me I can't unless I have a SSN! Should I go with what the DMV told me? Who else might give me trouble? State of NJ? Who should I contact to make sure?

Old 08-26-2015, 12:51 PM

130 posts, read 134,407 times
Here is the info from NJ DMV on purchasing and registering a vehicle in NJ: NJ Car Buying Paperwork - Bill of Sale, Title Transfers, Duplicate Titles & Registration | DMV.org

No where does it state your SSN is required. Besides, if you can get a driver's license without a SSN, you surely can purchase a car! Go to another dealer, this one doesn't sound on the up and up.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:01 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4sh1d View Post
Hi,

We live in South Jersey (Haddon TWP) I have an F2 visa (Dependent of an international student), so I'm not allowed to work here. So I can't get a SSN (That's what I was told at the SS office ). I got a NJ driver license 2 weeks ago, and am trying to buy a used car. I'm interested in buying from a private seller off of craigslist or something, but I saw a car online that I liked so I thought I'd give it a try, visited the dealer, test drove it and offered cash to buy the car ($15K). The manager came over, and told me that I can't buy a car since I don't have a SSN.

I visited the DMV, and asked about whether I can or can't register a car under my name; and they informed me that it's legal, once I can show proof of insurance, Valid Social Security Number or proof of exemption (I got a denial letter from the SS office), and my driver license, I told her what the dealer told me; she said dealers have their own rules or something! What kind of an answer is this!

I went back to the dealer, told the manager what the DMV informed me. He said that the DMV just want my $$, but the state of NJ will NOT let me register the car under my name; it's a problem with the State of NJ he said!

He told me that the ONLY way for me to register a car legally in the State of NJ, is to buy a car from a private seller, and have the seller write GIFT or a dollar on the title! What da? Not only is this illegal, but to have a dealer NOT WANT to sell me a car for $$ money??

Now, I want to buy a car from craiglist, if I buy a car from a private seller, have him write down the CORRECT price on the title, would the DMV or the State of NJ (what the heck is the difference??) NOT register the car under my name?

Who should I call to get the right info? Should I trust what the lady at the DMV told me? I don't want to spend cash money and get screwed (No, I don't know anyone with a SSN). I visited a few other dealers and they told me the same thing.

Rant: WTF is wrong with the SS Office, they told me that I don't need SSN, no one will ask you for it, it's ONLY for Americans and stuff. OK, I don't want it damn it!! I need it! It took me FOREVER to lease an apartment, since EVERYONE asks for the freaking SSN. Oh you don't have a social? Nope, we can't lease you an apartment!! Then, I get the BS from a dealer, the last guy that I'd think NOT want to make a $$ sale!
Call one of the TV stations in Philly. Tell them. Let them sic a consumer reporter on this.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:05 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,759 times
Lightbulb § 13:21-1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark bridge View Post
Here is the info from NJ DMV on purchasing and registering a vehicle in NJ: NJ Car Buying Paperwork - Bill of Sale, Title Transfers, Duplicate Titles & Registration | DMV.org. No where does it state your SSN is required. Besides, if you can get a driver's license without a SSN, you surely can purchase a car! Go to another dealer, this one doesn't sound on the up and up.
Actually, the demand for the social security number is on the registration application form. Better yet, here's the law:

§ 13:21-1.3 Mandatory disclosure of social security number

(a) An applicant for any special learner‘s permit, examination permit, driver license, commercial driver license or any endorsement thereto, or registration shall disclose his or her social security number(s) upon the application form furnished by the Chief Administrator of the Motor Vehicle Commission.

(b) A special learner‘s permit, examination permit, driver license, commercial driver license or any endorsement thereto, or registration shall not be issued unless the applicant therefor discloses his or her social security number(s) upon the application form.

(c) This section shall not apply to persons who are exempt from applying for a social security number.

The OP's rock to make his stand on is 13:21-1.3(c).

Old 08-26-2015, 02:51 PM

5,134 posts, read 3,747,404 times
I think the Patriot Act did away with all this kind of stuff. The govt. wants to know where all of the money is going. My bet is you will need a SS# and most probably some type of bank check to buy a car.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I think the Patriot Act did away with all this kind of stuff. The govt. wants to know where all of the money is going. My bet is you will need a SS# and most probably some type of bank check to buy a car.
But On MVC's website, I see this:
State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Quote:
Motor vehicle registration

Most standard sedan passenger vehicles fall into this category. To register your vehicle with MVC, please do the following.

Visit an MVC Agency with your:
Vehicle title
Insurance company name and policy number
Valid Social Security Number or proof of exemption
Odometer reading
The DMV is clear on this subject I think. But for a manager at an american cars dealership not to know this is just weird!

I'm searching Craigslist, will buy a car from a private seller and see how that goes. When you guys go to the DMV to register a car, do they ask for your SSN?

Old 08-26-2015, 05:36 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

But On MVC's website, I see this:
State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

When you guys go to the DMV to register a car, do they ask for your SSN?
Its not so much that they ask for it but that there is a space on the form to write it in.

I think it just comes down to people sometimes. One of my kids bought a car out of state and one NJMVC did not like the way the seller transferred to another seller even though that was fine and there was a space for it.

We went to a different NJMVC agency and it sailed right through.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:58 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,413 times
Quote:
Hi,

Have you heard in the news people hating on immigrants ?

He is probably hating on immigrants. Since DMV already told you they will register the car.

You said it yourself this is South Jersey. Go to a different dealership, maybe you will have a different experience.

Another thing, Dealers often advertise a car to get people though the door, but they don't really want to sell the car (They advertise it very inexpensive).

About you rant. Not every-one will lease you an apartment without checking your credit history first ( hence the need for SS) they want to make sure you are some-one who pays bills on time.

Seek out other immigrants from your country, you could help each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: