Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:48 AM

160 posts, read 300,831 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just got a new job working from home but I have to relocate to the Philadelphia suburbs on the NJ side. My wife works from home as well so we have a good amount of flexibility as far as where to live near Philadelphia.

We are coming from Bayonne, NJ. Our budget is 1500 per month (maybe going up to 1550 or so). We are looking for a walkable suburb with decent Philadelphia access and some decent parks nearby. We also have a 9 month old daughter as well. I wouldn't say school are top priority right now as we would ideally buy a home before her starting school.

I do not drive a car (she does) so walkability is a major concern. I would at least like a somewhat decent downtown to walk to. Ideally we would be able to rent an actual house but I am unsure how realistic this is. If anyone has any suggestions of cities/towns I would be very grateful.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 11:40 AM

122 posts, read 202,775 times
When you say access to Philly, do you mean mass transit? If so, then you're talking about the PATCO line (or possibly the NJ Transit River Line with a connection to PATCO in Camden). If you add on the desire for a downtown area that you can walk to, I think you are talking about Collingswood, Haddon Township, and Haddonfield. Given your price concerns I'd bet that Collingswood is the most likely fit for you. You'll probably be looking at an apartment at that budget, but I'm no expert on that score. For some discussion about the communities on the PATCO line try starting with this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...l#post40529139

Old 10-07-2015, 12:36 PM

160 posts, read 300,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by withasigh View Post
When you say access to Philly, do you mean mass transit? If so, then you're talking about the PATCO line (or possibly the NJ Transit River Line with a connection to PATCO in Camden). If you add on the desire for a downtown area that you can walk to, I think you are talking about Collingswood, Haddon Township, and Haddonfield. Given your price concerns I'd bet that Collingswood is the most likely fit for you. You'll probably be looking at an apartment at that budget, but I'm no expert on that score. For some discussion about the communities on the PATCO line try starting with this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...l#post40529139
Thank you for the reply, I am fine with driving access to Philly, it doesn't have to be mass-transit. I would like to be within a 45 minute drive to CC ideally. I don't have to go there everyday or anything like that. Would that open up more towns?

Old 10-07-2015, 02:33 PM

122 posts, read 202,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampo13 View Post
Thank you for the reply, I am fine with driving access to Philly, it doesn't have to be mass-transit. I would like to be within a 45 minute drive to CC ideally. I don't have to go there everyday or anything like that. Would that open up more towns?
Absolutely. Half of south jersey is 45 minutes from Center City. Although I think my recommendations wouldn't change much, (except to add in Haddon Heights and Audubon), especially when you say you want a downtown area that you can walk to. I'd recommend that you come down and drive through some of these communities and see what you like or dislike about them. My guess is that, since you're from Bayonne, you'll think that the inner ring suburbs down here (the ones that I have mentioned) are actually pretty spacious compared to what you are used to. A lot of people down here prefer the newer suburbs that are further away from town, but most of those do not have typical downtown areas to walk to or that you could live within a walkable distance of. There are plenty of communities further down Highways 42, 55, or I-295 that might also fit the bill for you. They tend to be cheaper and more rural if you are looking for that kind of thing, but I don't know as much about them so I'll let someone else chime in.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:32 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,070 times
45 minutes driving can push you right to Hammonton, Mount Holly, Bordentown City, Burlington City, etc. $1,500 will get you something in these places for sure, at least for apartments. All have pretty active downtowns with plenty of amenities. Burlington is definitely rougher around the edges but is also getting a lot of attention towards re-investment and redevelopment in the downtown with businesses. Closer into Philly but not along the PATCO line, you can also check out Merchantville and Maple Shade which actually have full-fledged supermarkets in the walkable downtown, which many of these other places cannot boast. These are other places worth looking into aside from the Haddonfield to Collingswood PATCO corridor, Haddon Heights, and Audubon. Although by the time the child starts school, you would probably want to move out of Hammonton, Mount Holly, and Burlington City. Bordentown schools are good.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:00 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,254,414 times
Hammonton might be a stretch at 45 minutes (I worked there for over a year). And definitely not at rush-hour. My first thought was Collingswood. Haddonfield is very walkable, but you might have trouble finding something to rent in your budget range. Merchantville and Maple Shade also come to mind.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Hammonton might be a stretch at 45 minutes (I worked there for over a year). And definitely not at rush-hour. My first thought was Collingswood. Haddonfield is very walkable, but you might have trouble finding something to rent in your budget range. Merchantville and Maple Shade also come to mind.
I was basing Hammonton off of Google Maps. It puts the commute at 39 minutes without traffic along the ACE. But yes, I think even moderate traffic will push it over for sure. And yes, I didn't suggest Haddonfield because I was thinking $1,500 won't cut it there. Similar with Moorestown. Really not worth mentioning.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:55 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampo13 View Post
Hello, I just got a new job working from home but I have to relocate to the Philadelphia suburbs on the NJ side. My wife works from home as well so we have a good amount of flexibility as far as where to live near Philadelphia.

We are coming from Bayonne, NJ. Our budget is 1500 per month (maybe going up to 1550 or so). We are looking for a walkable suburb with decent Philadelphia access and some decent parks nearby. We also have a 9 month old daughter as well. I wouldn't say school are top priority right now as we would ideally buy a home before her starting school.

I do not drive a car (she does) so walkability is a major concern. I would at least like a somewhat decent downtown to walk to. Ideally we would be able to rent an actual house but I am unsure how realistic this is. If anyone has any suggestions of cities/towns I would be very grateful.

Thank you!
Look at Erlton & Kingsway Village in Cherry Hill. Both are walking distance from downtown Haddonfield. There are also apartments in that area.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:17 PM

The other thing I would like to ask to the OP'er is it REQUIRED to stay on the NJ side, or is PA an option as well?

Old 10-08-2015, 05:08 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,918 times
I like Collingswood. We rented a 2 bedroom apartment for $1200. Nice little downtown. I could walk to restaurants and little shops. The best was the Wawa was close by for groceries. Not a full shopping trip but if I forgot something I could just bike over the wawa for some eggs or milk.

Lots of parks, lots of families and activities. All the shopping you need is right down the road in Cherry Hill including Wegmans (grocery store, I loved Wegmans)

PATCO is right there so you can have fun in the city. Super easy commute if you are driving. You have close access to Walt Whitman and The Ben Franklin. You can even drive up to the Betsy Ross. So no matter which bridge is backed up or closed you have an alternative.

The schools are not bad. Good schools usually means a nice area. Even if you don't have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia