Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 03:55 PM

22 posts, read 23,788 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to South Jersey early next year from London, England. My wife will be working in Voorhees so we are looking at houses in the nearby areas ($250k-$275k price range). It'll be a while before I can work as I will need to wait for the necessary visa paperwork to go through so haven't gotten anything lined up yet.

We're keen to be fairly close to a PATCO station for ease of getting to Philly - which is the most likely commute destination for me once I start working again. Closeness to 295 would be a bonus.

I like the idea of being walking distance to a train station since that is what I am used to here in London. I currently walk 1.2 miles to my local station most days so my definition of walking distance may be a bit further than most.

From what I can tell there are a few developments in Cherry Hill East (Ashland neighborhood I think) that are about that distance away from either Woodcrest or Ashland stations. Downs Farm seems particularly conveniently located and pleasant.

How walkable/bikeable is the area around the two stations? I recall there are some street sections near the Woodcrest station that don't have sidewalks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 05:41 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,753,453 times
You can probably find some homes near the Ashland station in that price range, in both Voorhees itself and Cherry Hill. Both towns are known for larger houses that usually are beyond your price range, but the areas near the stations tend to have smaller and older homes where you can probably hit your mark. Ashland station is right on the border between the two towns but is technically in Voorhees (Evesham Road divides the two towns), while Woodcrest is in Cherry Hill.

There are enough houses in Voorhees and Cherry Hill that would be walkable to Ashland, although as you pointed out about Woodcrest, it is also true with Ashland. Sidewalks come and go around there, especially if you are looking along Burnt Mills Rd.

Honestly, Woodcrest Station is kind of set amongst itself and not very walkable at all from houses. I think very few people would walk to Woodcrest, but if you are willing to push a little over a mile (which as you attested is longer than most people would consider walkable), Downs Farm could work. Ashland is definitely a better choice when concerned about walkability, even though as I said, some parts will not have sidewalks.

Another choice for walkability would be the Westmont Station in Haddon Township. I think homes around there should be possible in your price range as well. Pretty much the whole area along Haddon Avenue has sidewalks, as do the homes on the other side of the station. In Westmont too, you can also walk from your house to plenty of amenities like bars, restaurants, some retail, gyms, etc. (not the grocery store though). It has a better atmosphere for leisure than Ashland and Woodcrest, by far.

If walkability to the train is a concern, I would go with Westmont first and Ashland second (Ashland would be closer to your wife's job though). Woodcrest loses on walkability but is the one that is closest to 295 (it is practically right next to it). Is there a reason why you want to be close to 295? It sounds like that won't be as much of a concern for work at least.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:44 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMacky View Post
I'll be moving to South Jersey early next year from London, England. My wife will be working in Voorhees so we are looking at houses in the nearby areas ($250k-$275k price range). It'll be a while before I can work as I will need to wait for the necessary visa paperwork to go through so haven't gotten anything lined up yet.

We're keen to be fairly close to a PATCO station for ease of getting to Philly - which is the most likely commute destination for me once I start working again. Closeness to 295 would be a bonus.

I like the idea of being walking distance to a train station since that is what I am used to here in London. I currently walk 1.2 miles to my local station most days so my definition of walking distance may be a bit further than most.

From what I can tell there are a few developments in Cherry Hill East (Ashland neighborhood I think) that are about that distance away from either Woodcrest or Ashland stations. Downs Farm seems particularly conveniently located and pleasant.

How walkable/bikeable is the area around the two stations? I recall there are some street sections near the Woodcrest station that don't have sidewalks?
1.2 miles to your nearest station? Where was that in London?

Good luck on your move

Old 12-05-2015, 05:57 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:

Look in Cherry Hill near the border with Haddonfield. Its walkable to the PATCO station in Haddonfield. I lived in that area for ~20 years & walked to the Haddonfield station sometimes. Also check Lee St. on the Haddonfield side of the border. It's a street of twins. Most people are oblivious to Lee St.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,076 times
If you can cancel your move do it. This place is a dump with really unfriendly people and high crime. I have lived in this crummy state 13 years and still hate it. I can't wait to move. If there is any way possible live in Pennsylvania. You will get more bang for your buck and property taxes will be lower. Just make sure you really research the town you are going to live in. Lots of crime here, not your England kind either. If any way possible fly out here and look first,,,,then you will see for yourself. Run away if you make less than $200,000 a year. Bad move otherwise.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:10 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
What ghetto do you live in? If his wife is going to work in Voorhees and they want to be near Philadelphia, exactly where in PA are they going to go?

Old 12-07-2015, 06:10 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,753,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmile58 View Post
If you can cancel your move do it. This place is a dump with really unfriendly people and high crime. I have lived in this crummy state 13 years and still hate it. I can't wait to move. If there is any way possible live in Pennsylvania. You will get more bang for your buck and property taxes will be lower. Just make sure you really research the town you are going to live in. Lots of crime here, not your England kind either. If any way possible fly out here and look first,,,,then you will see for yourself. Run away if you make less than $200,000 a year. Bad move otherwise.
Christ bro, where the hell do you live? Give me a town.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:02 AM

22 posts, read 23,788 times
@Leps12 - Thanks for your comments, reinforces some of what I noticed really. Looked around Westmont - like the area but not the houses so much. Personal preference really. Main reason for wanting to be close (ish) to 295 is ease of getting to Hamilton for train to NYC. We will also need to use EWR every so often.

@Londoncowboy30 - The fringes of New Eltham SE9. Border of Greenwich and Bromley boroughs.

@southbound_295 - Thanks. We both really like Haddonfield and have looked around the Haddonfield/CH fringes but walkability to Haddonfield isn't essential.

And as for the other comment (aside from the fact that a first post on a forum in that style usually equals troll) is that I have been to the area multiple times and my wife is originally from NE Philly, so we do have some idea of what we are doing...!

Old 12-08-2015, 09:57 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
@Leps12 - Thanks for your comments, reinforces some of what I noticed really. Looked around Westmont - like the area but not the houses so much. Personal preference really. Main reason for wanting to be close (ish) to 295 is ease of getting to Hamilton for train to NYC. We will also need to use EWR every so often.

@Londoncowboy30 - The fringes of New Eltham SE9. Border of Greenwich and Bromley boroughs.

@southbound_295 - Thanks. We both really like Haddonfield and have looked around the Haddonfield/CH fringes but walkability to Haddonfield isn't essential.

And as for the other comment (aside from the fact that a first post on a forum in that style usually equals troll) is that I have been to the area multiple times and my wife is originally from NE Philly, so we do have some idea of what we are doing...!
Well, from the border area of Haddonfield/Cherry Hill you are walkable to the downtown area of Haddonfield & PATCO is just on the south side. You have sidewalks all the way. You asked about walkability. If the weather is bad there is a bus travelling on Kings Highway to the PATCO station. Exit 33 of 295 is nearby. Lee St is very short so you might not find a property for sale, but it's usually overlooked so I mentioned it. If it works for you, fine. I would suggest that you check the area on Google street view. It's not what you think of when you think Haddonfield or Cherry Hill. You shouldn't have a problem with your budget, though. *

Old 12-13-2015, 08:56 AM

397 posts, read 813,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Christ bro, where the hell do you live? Give me a town.
If I were to guess...........I would say he lives in North Camden. Either that, or he is just blowing smoke out his as@.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia