Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,753 times

Advertisements

Looking to find out what others have paid for a new HVAC System (A/C, Furnace, water heater etc...)
Being quoted $17,000! which sounds pretty high. There is a current $4,000 rebate, but I think they have raised their prices to get the rebate and still charge full price for a system.
National average is stating $10,000.
This is for a Carrier Infinity system and 50 gallon water tank.

I'd like to know what anyone else has paid over the last year for a system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 11:24 AM

122 posts, read 202,830 times
I'm assuming you are participating in the NJ rebate program (up to $5k rebate from state, 0% financing for up to 10k of the rest of the cost). If that's the case, I'm guessing you're getting more than just the two new units and a hot water heater. Normally the program requires some insulation work. Does your quote include that as well?

I did that program few years ago, got an all new Amana system, plus new main ductwork in the basement, plus insulation in my basement and attic (the expensive stuff in the roof line, not the blown in stuff), and it cost me $19k total. I received the $5k rebate, took the $10k financing (interest free, stupid not to), and paid $4k out of pocket. It took three weeks to do the install (main work was done in a few days, but insulation took quite some time to finish). I thought the price was pretty reasonable considering all the effort. My energy bills have dropped about $90 per month on average. I wouldn't say it pays for itself, but the savings at least covers the cost of the monthly loan payment and will make the house eaiser to sell later.

I got a quote from what I would assume are the same Carrier people you got a quote from (starts with an "H"), and they came in at 17k, but did not including fixing ductwork issues or doing the insulation in my attic like I wanted. I also got a quote from a third company (Harriet's) and they came in at 16k, but also did not include ductwork or anything other than blown in insulation in the attic.

I have no doubt that this program is a boon to HVAC contractors, and even if they raise the price by the full amount of the rebate payment, the 0% interest ten year loan makes it worth it to the homeowner regardless.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:04 AM

75 posts, read 110,314 times
I'll second everything Withasigh said. I had this work done earlier this year, and the price sounds accurate to me as well. The cost can vary depending on additional ductwork and insulation required to meet the state's standards for their program.

Keep in mind that Carrier Infinity is top of the line, and you pay for that. It's certainly not the system reflected by the "national average."

Old 12-16-2015, 07:48 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
I did this a couple of years ago, so the prices may be different now. But I wanted to add that I saw a DRAMATIC change in my electric bill, both winter and summer. (We have gas heat with forced hot air, and a central air conditioner.) I compared my electric bills for an entire year and was very (happily surprised) at how much I saved, despite a colder winter and a warmer summer the year after the installation. I used W.B. Steward and Son on Glassboro Road in Woodbury Heights. The owner, Don, is a real stickler for detail, so we got along great.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,063 times
Could you please share how to get into the state program? I am currently looking to install new A/C and may replace my existing 11 years old single stage 80% eff. furnace and I got quotes from different contractors and A/C alone costs about 5K and both A/C and furnace costs about 11K.

I also plan to finish my basement before the summer so if the state program including insulating basement and attics, I may be able to reduce that cost when I finish my basement.

Is there any fee to start with the program and how is the contractor get selected? Thanks a lot.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible.cloud View Post
Could you please share how to get into the state program?
The state website about the program is here:

Home Performance with ENERGY STAR | NJ OCE Web Site

You contact an approved contractor, from the list on the website, and tell them you want to get an estimate for the home performance with energy star program. They'll know what you're talking about. This is a lot of contractor's bread and butter in New Jersey. The website will even tell you how many home performance jobs that contractor has completed.

Once you pick a contractor and accept their bid, the contractor will help you through the program requirements. There are a fair amount of forms to fill out and if you get the 0% interest loan you'll have to do a loan application, but is isn't all that hard. I'd say it's slightly more difficult than buying a car.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,063 times
Do you recommend any contractor in central NJ area?

Old 02-22-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible.cloud View Post
Do you recommend any contractor in central NJ area?
To which county are you referring when you can "central NJ?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia