Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 11:21 PM

10,471 posts, read 6,982,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
My experience with it all was... suffocating. Particularly from Middlesex County through Bergen County. When I used to live in North Jersey for college, it aways felt like a breath of fresh air whenever I'd go back home to visit. Maybe some towns even in the metro NYC area are decent when it comes to the things that I mentioned. I haven't been to all of them, but I have been around the area enough to have validly (IMO) formed the impression that I have.
There are part's that are suffocating like New Brunswick area and rt. 1 however that is Central NJ. North Jersey has more scenery then South Jersey, more major highways (less congestion) then South Jersey, more Fortune 100 Corporations, more money, better fashion (I go to south jersey and see people wearing jerseys, etc and it seems ghetto), better looking people (my opinion), more restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 12:44 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Default Northern New Jersey Has More Scenery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
There are part's that are suffocating like New Brunswick area and rt. 1 however that is Central NJ. North Jersey has more scenery then South Jersey, more major highways (less congestion) then South Jersey, more Fortune 100 Corporations, more money, better fashion (I go to south jersey and see people wearing jerseys, etc and it seems ghetto), better looking people (my opinion), more restaurants.
A tree or a river is scenery. A building is scenery. Your statement makes no sense.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:38 AM

111 posts, read 112,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
thanks man! and that's basically our scenery all around us. poor indeed!
Ehhhh.

We have a nice park where I live, but not everyone from the more URBAN areas has that kind of environ.

Is that Sussex County?

Old 09-17-2016, 08:32 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,932 times
Been living in southern New Jersey for over 30 years. Actually I live in southern most New Jersey (Cumberland county).

South Jersey has a particular charm that grows on you if you can accept it for what it is. Lots of fun roads to drive. Some good food if you are willing to look hard. Some nice people.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:13 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That freaks me out. I don't mind flat land in the middle of nowhere with trees.
I actually rather like the lack of trees and the flat, wide, open landscapes. Must be the Ukrainian steppe blood in me. My favorite South Jersey landscapes are the agricultural ones: big wide open spaces. Always a pleasure to drive through those areas.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:38 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I actually rather like the lack of trees and the flat, wide, open landscapes. Must be the Ukrainian steppe blood in me. My favorite South Jersey landscapes are the agricultural ones: big wide open spaces. Always a pleasure to drive through those areas.
I love those areas, but there's always a tree line, wind break in the distance. That makes it not scary for me.

I loved the vast fields of sunflowers I saw in Northern New York, vineyards and lavender farms in PA, salt marshes in New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, but there are always some trees.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:33 AM

102 posts, read 48,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
North Jersey has mkre scenery than South Jersey? Sure, if you're only talking about NWNJ. Otherwise, I don't think so. North Jersey has TONS of congestion, what planet are you living on? Most of the rest of your post just reeks of snobbishness and ignorance.

Old 03-20-2021, 11:19 PM

837 posts, read 853,049 times
It's not just South Jersey.....ALL OF JERSEY STINKS!!! TAXES AND QOL SUCKS!!!

Old 03-21-2021, 12:22 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
It's not just South Jersey.....ALL OF JERSEY STINKS!!! TAXES AND QOL SUCKS!!!
I like the QOL. Taxes are high yes, but, compared to other NE states like MA NY etc, you get a great value for your home. I could hypothetically buy a 300,000 home in NJ net to a train with direct service to NYC (Or Philly) with great schools and a cool town center. Back home that would be upwards of 600k.

Granted, taxes are murder. But NJ provides a great QOL with high wages and great food. Recreation costs like going out to eat and buying drinks are remarkably lower in NJ than places where I lived in the past. You can thank Diners, and toooonnsss of local places for that. You get what you pay for basically.

I still think NJ is the best value state in the Northeast Maybe on the East Coast for the amenities, salary and options you get.

NJ is 8/10.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:53 PM

837 posts, read 853,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I like the QOL. Taxes are high yes, but, compared to other NE states like MA NY etc, you get a great value for your home. I could hypothetically buy a 300,000 home in NJ net to a train with direct service to NYC (Or Philly) with great schools and a cool town center. Back home that would be upwards of 600k.

Granted, taxes are murder. But NJ provides a great QOL with high wages and great food. Recreation costs like going out to eat and buying drinks are remarkably lower in NJ than places where I lived in the past. You can thank Diners, and toooonnsss of local places for that. You get what you pay for basically.

I still think NJ is the best value state in the Northeast Maybe on the East Coast for the amenities, salary and options you get.

NJ is 8/10.
It's not so much the state tase, but it's the local (city and county) that will kill you in Jersey. I understand the purpose of the taxes are to educate the kids as well as provide services for police, fire, and EMS, but the fact of the matter is that the taxes are so high in NJ, that NJ had it's lowest population growth ever in it's history (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Je...ate_population), and I wouldn't be surprised if NJ declines for the first time along with NY, CT, VT, WV, and IL as well once the 2020 US Census becomes official.

I can agree that NJ provides better communities if you like the more suburban life, but overall when it comes to it's cities (Newark, Paterson, Trenton, Camden, Atlantic City, etc.), life sucks and I can understand why people from NJ move to states like FL, GA, TX, NC, and even SC because taxes have taken a stranglehold on it's citizens. I'd rather be in PA, but even then PA is letting me down every year and when I get my opportunity, I'm gone from this country.

I like PA over NJ, but even then, there's just no can do spirit that was there when Rendell was governor and PA as well as NJ has degenerated because of the corruption and cronyism that infects PA and NJ. I wouldn't be in no other place in America than over in the East Coast, but even then, I have to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia