Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 13,251 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transferred to Ft Dix,NJ. We have two kids, 12 years and 10 years. Please advise on places to live,schools,etc.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 09:44 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Browns Mills doesn't have a good reputation and Wrightstown looks terribly depressed too. Eastampton, Smithville seems worth looking into. Sorry, I don't live there, just go through the area once in a while. Their elementary school got a good rating.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:10 AM

201 posts, read 1,012,711 times
Default Fort Dix

I lived in Southampton NJ it is also listed as Vincentown zip code 08088. The best move you could make is looking into the schools that are in the Lenape district that feed into Seneca High School.... But any High School in the Lenape District is good. I am just partial as Seneca is only about 5 years old and has the best of the best and is soo new. I would concentrate there. Evesham (aka Marlton), Medford, Medford Lakes, Mount Laurel, Shamong, Tabernacle. Woodland and Southampton. Southampton and Tabernacle are the closest towns to Fort Dix. Woodland has very few homes and I don't think you would find one easily. This is the Pine Barrens area.

I would move back to Southampton if I could..it is approx 44 square miles, 10,000 residents, one school, a real small town feel. It is approx 15 minutes to Fort Dix. The people that bought my house in Burrs Mill estates were moving there to be closer to Fort Dix.

My realtor who sold my house specializes in houses for military/Fort Dix and Macguire AFB. If you want her info I can supply it.

Eastampton is nice but Rancocas Valley High Schools rep is not as good as the Lenape District.

Good Luck!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:43 AM

71 posts, read 240,232 times
I am a mortgage loan officer and do a few VA loans each month for people moving into Mc Guire and Fort Dix. The answer to your question really depends on how much you would like to spend. Will you own or rent? If you will own, the most popular areas are Browns Mills (because it has the cheapest price and taxes while still being close to the base), Pemberton, and Mount Holly. These areas are most popular because the BAH you receive will be close to the mortgage payment if you do a $0 down VA loan. They are not the most desirable areas in NJ. Of course, if you are willing to pay above your BAH, there are much nicer areas. I hope that helps.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:23 AM

I would not move to Pemberton or Browns Mills, Mt Holly has some nice sections, but some bad ones too... I would still go toward the Lenape district. Pemberton's High School is not so good. Look in zip code 08088, you will not be sorry.

I lived in Southampton for 10 years...I went to College in Pemberton which is next to Browns Mills.

There is a reason those towns are cheaper....when you come to NJ and look around, you will see what I mean.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,206 times
Browns Mills, Wrighstown and Pemberton are dumps. My husband is Air Force and we just returned from there last week on a business trip.
Good luck to you.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:26 PM

Shannybannany is totally correct!

Old 11-01-2007, 07:11 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,206 times
You may want to try Jackson or New Egypt.
The towns I mentioned before have eyesore strip malls, tattoo parlors, pawn shops, etc...

We are moving to PA from California. I'm originally from NJ. Is it possible you can get base housing?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 12,612 times
Default Lumberton is nice.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by divasonmain View Post
My husband is being transferred to Ft Dix,NJ. We have two kids, 12 years and 10 years. Please advise on places to live,schools,etc.
Thanks!

Hello,
We transfered here to Ft. Dix 2 1/2 years ago. We live in Lumberton, NJ. The schools are wonderful here and in our neighborhood there are ALOT of children the same age as yours. We live in Bobby's Run in Lumberton. It is about 25 min. from Post. The areas directly around Ft. Dix are NOT too desireable but I know they are building a HUGE amount of new housing on Post because it is becoming a Mega Base with McQuire and Lakehurst. Check with the housing department to find out when the new housing will be available. I know some of it looks complete from a distance. Also to address the situation of High schools....Rancocas Valley doesn't have as good of a Rep as Senaca but we have ALOT of neighbors that are happy with it and , as you well know.....so much depends on family life starts at home!! Good luck to you. I know moving is hard. We have to move this summer too. Hey....do you want to buy a house? Nice neighborhood....HUGE lot? )

Old 02-25-2008, 09:13 AM

23,864 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Browns Mills, Wrighstown and Pemberton are dumps. My husband is Air Force and we just returned from there last week on a business trip.
Good luck to you.

There are different sections of Browns Mills. Country Lakes & Presidential Lakes are nice. I moved here 15 years ago and would do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy chartier View Post
Hello,
We transfered here to Ft. Dix 2 1/2 years ago. We live in Lumberton, NJ. The schools are wonderful here and in our neighborhood there are ALOT of children the same age as yours. We live in Bobby's Run in Lumberton. It is about 25 min. from Post. The areas directly around Ft. Dix are NOT too desireable but I know they are building a HUGE amount of new housing on Post because it is becoming a Mega Base with McQuire and Lakehurst. Check with the housing department to find out when the new housing will be available. I know some of it looks complete from a distance. Also to address the situation of High schools....Rancocas Valley doesn't have as good of a Rep as Senaca but we have ALOT of neighbors that are happy with it and , as you well know.....so much depends on family life starts at home!! Good luck to you. I know moving is hard. We have to move this summer too. Hey....do you want to buy a house? Nice neighborhood....HUGE lot? )
And what might that house in Bobby's Run cost these days? When you bought it probably wasn't the price it is now. Last time I looked, they were in the $400k's. How many people in the service can afford that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia