Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 05:07 PM

3 posts, read 12,638 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving home (originally from NJ) from VA to be near family. He would look for a transfer to Fort Dix. If we move, we are looking to visit 3-4 towns to visit near Fort Dix to consider moving.

If anyone can recommend some towns based on these criteria that be great!

Looking For:

1). Quality of Life- Looking for a place with activities, fitness trails, nature, sense of community, etc.

2). Good school systems- Do not have children yet, but looking ahead.

3). Be able to find a decent home under 500,000.

AVOID:

1). Pretentious Schools/Towns.

2). Too much Traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 06:32 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
There aren't many towns in the area. Bordentown? Hamilton Township? Don't even think about Wrightstown or Pemberton. They're not nice. The area around the base is semi-rural and suburban.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:02 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,616 times
Probably Bordentown is the best. Maybe Medford, which is a bit further away. Florence would be a third choice. I would look in that order.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:35 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Medford is nice.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 12,638 times
Default Towns

Thanks for all your replies! Please keep the recommendations coming.

My husband doesn't mind up to a 30-35 minute commute.

We have been looking into Medford, Medford Lakes, Moorstown (worried it's too expensive), Cherry Hill, so far.

C

Old 08-16-2016, 05:53 PM

5 posts, read 8,393 times
Default Burlington

Burlington City is a nice area if you don't live directly in the City. There are different sections of Burlington City that offer nice neighborhoods with character. You can get a 5 BR recently remodeled home for under $260K. Samuel Smith School is a wonderful school that offers 3 and 4 year old pre-school for free!!
Its about 35-40 minutes from Fort Dix and the River line (light rail) runs right through the middle of town.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,300 times
Cherry Hill is a bit further but a great option if you plan to stay for the long haul

- Top notch school system (East and West)
- Close to lot's of things (shopping, Philly)
- Taxes that are not as bad as other towns (as in mill rate, but still high)

Traffic is definitely a problem.

Check our RedFin and search there for home.

you can buy a lot of home for $500k but keep in mind the taxes are high here.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:16 AM

968 posts, read 1,140,083 times
Probably better to go across the river to PA. Levittown and Fairless Hills in Bucks County are better options than most of what is in the immediate area, as long as you are not in Bristol Twp.

If you must be in NJ, Delran and Cinnaminson might be the best options that are relatively close. Willingboro - Jersey's Levittown - is also nice, but it is a very black town. Not being racist, but you may feel out of place there if you are not black. Don't know what the above person is talking about with Burlington City being nice. I was in the Wawa on the median of Rt 130 at Jacksonville Rd last night and felt rather uncomfortable there. And I'm in inner city areas in Philly all the time and haven't felt this uncomfortable in a while. There is a historical thing tied to it in some areas, but it isn't desirable by any stretch. Going toward 295 the area is sort of on the decline, though Mt. Holly itself these days looks nicer than in the past.

Cherry Hill has always been very prestigious, but it is quite expensive and if you aren't spending much money on a property, you'll be paying it in the taxes. I've heard some evidence that the schools these days are just coasting on a past reputation. Traffic is horrible. Rt. 70 is a clogged maxed out stripmall and the backroads are jammed most of the day too, don't let anyone fool you. And it is a further drive than every other town mentioned.

Last edited by NYtoNJtoPA; 08-19-2016 at 11:24 AM..

Old 08-19-2016, 12:51 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Probably better to go across the river to PA. Levittown and Fairless Hills in Bucks County are better options than most of what is in the immediate area, as long as you are not in Bristol Twp.

If you must be in NJ, Delran and Cinnaminson might be the best options that are relatively close. Willingboro - Jersey's Levittown - is also nice, but it is a very black town. Not being racist, but you may feel out of place there if you are not black. Don't know what the above person is talking about with Burlington City being nice. I was in the Wawa on the median of Rt 130 at Jacksonville Rd last night and felt rather uncomfortable there. And I'm in inner city areas in Philly all the time and haven't felt this uncomfortable in a while. There is a historical thing tied to it in some areas, but it isn't desirable by any stretch. Going toward 295 the area is sort of on the decline, though Mt. Holly itself these days looks nicer than in the past.

Cherry Hill has always been very prestigious, but it is quite expensive and if you aren't spending much money on a property, you'll be paying it in the taxes. I've heard some evidence that the schools these days are just coasting on a past reputation. Traffic is horrible. Rt. 70 is a clogged maxed out stripmall and the backroads are jammed most of the day too, don't let anyone fool you. And it is a further drive than every other town mentioned.
Delran and Cinnaminson are mini Cherry Hills albeit less expensive and with not as good schools (although not shabby by any means). They, like Cherry Hill, don't provide the other elements that he OP is looking for, that is point number 1 (quality of life). Also I don't know what you are thinking saying Willigboro is nice. It is a bland blue collar town with pretty much nothing but houses, and they have above average crime there. I don't know why you would knock Burlington City and praise Willingboro. Both have above average crime, but at least Burligton City has some upside to it include in historical charm, the Riverline, and a new slate of businesses opening up trying to revive the area. Both have bad schools so that crosses them off due to point number 2 by the OP. Bordentown and Medford will satisy the OP's wishes quite well while providing reasonable commutes.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:08 PM

171 posts, read 109,360 times
Before I get into a more detailed answer are you looking to be in a town? If so as said in another post Bordentown is probably the nicest. If you are looking to be in a more rural setting there are MANY nice developments around Fort Dix. I am on the west side of the joint base in a small development. Many homes are on 1+ acres, varying sizes ranging from small ranchers to 5,000+sqft ones. If this is more of what you are looking for lmk and I'll elaborate some more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia