Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 06:05 PM

4 posts, read 12,146 times

Advertisements

My company is planning on relocating me from Melbourne, Australia to Camden, to be its representative at one of its subcontractors.

If i relocate i will be bringing my wife, and pets. Consequently, i will need to lease/rent accomodation for just over 2 years, and would prefer not live in an apartment because of my pets.

Can anyone offer advice on suitable areas to live surrounding Camden?
Also can any of the realtors that frequent this forum offer advice on the availability of houses with fenced yards that would be leasable for 2 years and accepted pets?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 06:11 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,516,551 times
You might consider extended stay or corporate housing for several months so you can adjust to the area. The good news is there is wide array of suitable housing commutable to Camden. Collingswood (trendy), Westmont (very solid) and Haddonfield (more upscale) are three towns right on the Patco train line which has two stops in Camden. There are a ton of other areas including Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Marlton that are worth considering. Just depends what type of lifestyle you are looking for.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:21 PM

Thanks MoorestownResident for your response. I have a collegue that briefly stayed in Moorestown while meeting with a large defence contractor a while back. He had very nice things to say about the area.

I am interested in learning more about the extended stay/corporate housing you mentioned?

My wife will not be joining me after couple of months (due to work commitments), so it is up to me to find suitable long term accomodation for the "family". I dont think we are too worried about being trendy, more so security and friendliness (as we will not know anyone at first). Shopping accessibility (the wife needs something to do!) and possibly some sporting facilities would be a bonus.

I have been told about Maple Hill, Haddon and Collingswood previously, and have come to an understanding that most of the areas surrounding Camden have their good points.

I am trying to get a feel for things sitting at my computer. Concurrently my HR department is working out details, and so i would like to be armed with suitable preferences before agreeing to anything.

I suppose most importantly at the moment, is the the average long term rental cost of a house with yard in the areas you have mentioned?

Thanks again.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:31 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,516,551 times
No problem, Moorestown is a very distinctive town, like Haddonfield. I don't have first hand knowledge of corporate housing but some does exist in the area, maybe a realtor can help you more. I do know many allow pets.

I think you mean Maple Shade, that's near Moorestown but not in the same league. These two towns are in Burlington County which has different feel than Camden County. BC has more open space and agricultural character though it has been developing rapidly in recent years. Another area to consider is Mount Laurel also in BC - that town probably has the most corporate housing around. It is a major corporate center in the Philly area. Still pretty easy to get to Camden from any of these locations.

In terms of rentals, not sure of your question but there should be enough rentals to choose from in the areas you need to be in. I'm not a realtor, but I'm sure one could send you listings in these areas so you could get a feel for cost.

All of the towns mentioned have easy access to major roads and access to an abundance of shopping, restaurants, etc. That won't be an issue for you. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:26 PM

Thanks again, you have given me some more information that i can research with.

You are right about Maple Shade...it seems i keep mixing town names i.e. Cherry Hill.

Packing up home and moving to the other side of the world is a big thing in my mind, so i am trying to understand what i am getting into as much as possible before the Human Resources department throws the deal down on the table.

Cheers.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:40 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbit View Post
Thanks again, you have given me some more information that i can research with.

You are right about Maple Shade...it seems i keep mixing town names i.e. Cherry Hill.

Packing up home and moving to the other side of the world is a big thing in my mind, so i am trying to understand what i am getting into as much as possible before the Human Resources department throws the deal down on the table.

Cheers.
Cherry Hill and Marlton are close to camden and are 2 good choices. Camden is next to Philadelphia, PA if your not familar.

Diane G

Old 02-20-2008, 12:48 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,422 times
Definitely consider Collingswood, Haddonfield, and the surrounding areas in Haddon Twp. Collingswood is very up and coming, and my sister lives in historic Haddonfield (they have money $$$ so they can afford a huge Victorian home!!). You have a lot of choices, nonetheless.

Good luck!!

BTW the train to Phila. runs through those towns.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:06 AM

691 posts, read 3,060,086 times
mBIT, how much are you looking to spend on an apartment? As mentioned above, there are PLENTY of suitable choices with easy commutes to Camden.

Also - Do you plan on driving in or taking the train?

Old 02-20-2008, 02:30 PM

JerzBoy, at this stage i am not sure what the accomodation allowance will be, so i cannot say for sure. When i know more i will repost.

I would prefer not to drive, so that the wife has a car during the day. I guess this limits me to towns with the patco line running through it. Consequently, Camden doesnt have the best reputation (on the internet) for violence, should i have any safety concerns for train commuting?

Old 02-21-2008, 06:46 AM

691 posts, read 3,060,086 times
Camden is a very crime-ridden and dangerous city. If your workplace is near the business district or waterfront, you will have no problem commuting on the train. Many people ride the train to Camden each morning. Just don't plan on sticking around after work.

The PATCO towns you will want to look at are Collingswood, Westmont, Haddonfield (very nice/quaint but pricey), and parts of Cherry Hill. Stay away from Lindenwold.
Also consider towns that are short drives to some of the stations such as Haddon Heights, Barrington, and Audubon.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia