Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:40 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirednewyorker View Post
look, this video was filmed in camden.

YouTube - Clipse featuring Ab-Liva and Rosco P. Coldchain-Hot damn

if you are puertorican/black you'll be fine in camden. i lived there for about 3 years. stayed in north and south camden (the worst areas). rent is sooo cheap that is why i was there. you can get a 3 bedroom home w/a mortgage of $400/month. lol. and with a short 20 minute commute to cherry hill, it is perfect. crime is crazy high. my car never got stolen or vandalized. you just have to blend in with the crowd. don't flash what you got, etc.

common street sense
That is not true! My family is Puerto Rican and went to Camden once (to visit the aquarium) and we stuck out like a sore thumb! Even more so because we were in my mother's Lincoln Navigator that day. GPS systems tend to send you down the worst streets, LOL.

Last edited by Busch Boy; 05-01-2008 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 02:44 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Camden is something like 90% single woman parents. There are few normal city amenities like movies, supermarket, etc. An 8-lane highway to the Ben Franklin Bridge tolls splits the area in half. When I was a teenager driving to Philadelphia, I was frankly afraid to even drive through it.
During and right after the war, it was an industrial success. I remember as a kid, driving across the Walt Whitman Bridge to South Philly, holding your breath because of smells from Old Grandad Bourbon and Campbell Soup, among others. Poor people, mostly Puerto Rican, came to the area for the work.
When the work went away, everything crashed and burned.
The areas of Camden bordering east on non-Camden are OK, and have access to the high speed train to Philadelphia and east to the suburbs and suburban towns (Collingswood, Haddonfield, etc.) I think the hospital (Cooper?) is in that area.

But the rows of burned out failing rowhouses, the tons of young women with many kids, the lack of men (or anyone) heading to work... Camden might well have reached a tipping point of no return.
My father lives near the Camden line in the only trailer park in Cherry Hill. It's a very urban area of suburbia, with public transport, stores, etc. Quite livable, but Camden itself is a goner.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:44 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,071 times
Quote:

if you are puertorican/black you'll be fine in camden. i lived there for about 3 years. stayed in north and south camden (the worst areas). rent is sooo cheap that is why i was there. you can get a 3 bedroom home w/a mortgage of $400/month. lol. and with a short 20 minute commute to cherry hill, it is perfect. crime is crazy high. my car never got stolen or vandalized. you just have to blend in with the crowd. don't flash what you got, etc.

common street sense
That video was shot in North Philly. If you flash your goods around Camden all that money "saved" by living there will be taken away like candy from a baby.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:24 PM

13 posts, read 163,185 times
Quote:

common street sense
Damn, I didn't know that video was shot in Camden... I love Clipse.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:37 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,359 times
I just saw the video. The song has a good beat.

I'm telling you, nothing in NJ beats Camden's griminess. And I always defend urban areas on City-Data. It makes the bad parts of Newark look like Basking Ridge!

You never know though. Maybe Philidelphia will be the next NYC and Camden will be the next Jersey City. Only time will tell.

Last edited by Busch Boy; 05-01-2008 at 10:53 PM..

Old 05-02-2008, 06:45 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
>It's a BYOG kind of town.... Bring Your Own GUN!!!!<

BYOMG.... Bring Your Own Machine Gun

Fixed

BTW 1 post. Ill go out on a limb and guess its not a real inquiry.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:39 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I just saw the video. The song has a good beat.

I'm telling you, nothing in NJ beats Camden's griminess. And I always defend urban areas on City-Data. It makes the bad parts of Newark look like Basking Ridge!

You never know though. Maybe Philidelphia will be the next NYC and Camden will be the next Jersey City. Only time will tell.
not gonna happend, atleast in this century lol

Old 05-02-2008, 09:15 AM

718 posts, read 2,325,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarsy View Post
Damn, I didn't know that video was shot in Camden... I love Clipse.
Not Camden. You can tell by the houses, the ones in Camden are usually two stories and there are more burned out blocks. The denser housing in this video and the architecture definitely resembles Philadelphia. Plus that green building they were in front of had a sign with a 215 phone number on it.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 22,922 times
If You Want To Get Technical With It. Parts Of That Video Were Shot In Four Places. Philly, Camden, Virginia And Part Of B-more.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 22,922 times
And Camden Is Not That Bad, But This Is Coming From Me... Currently Living In The South Bronx And Having Lived Half Of My Life In The Hood! Lol

Anybody Here Can Help Me Look For A Spot In Bayonne Nj? Jc Area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia