Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 11:38 AM
lid lid started this thread

10 posts, read 14,819 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Looking for apartments / towns for a work commute to Rowan University, I am in my late twenties.

Would like to keep the commute time under 30 minutes.

Budget: Once I get some a feel for what towns and apartments are available I can refine a budget range.

Would prefer to live in a town that provides some things to do. Are there any towns near by that have a nice small downtown with some restaurants and shops?

Are there apartment websites you could list so I can take a look at that fit this mold?

I think Lindenwold would provide the benefit of an easy in to Philly to do things, but it is a bit far for my day to day commute to Rowan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 11:58 AM

983 posts, read 2,767,689 times
There's not a lot of "happening" towns in Gloucester County. I would recommend Collingswood or Cherry Hill in Camden County, both of which are about 30 minutes from Rowan. Collingswood has a nice downtown with shops and restaurants. Cherry Hill doesn't have a "main street"...it's more spread out, but there are TONS of shops and restaurants.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:01 PM
lid lid started this thread

10 posts, read 14,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
There's not a lot of "happening" towns in Gloucester County. I would recommend Collingswood or Cherry Hill in Camden County, both of which are about 30 minutes from Rowan. Collingswood has a nice downtown with shops and restaurants. Cherry Hill doesn't have a "main street"...it's more spread out, but there are TONS of shops and restaurants.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Any apartment complex in Collingswood that you would be able to recommend?

For context, if you had to add a third and fourth after Collingswood and Cherry Hill, what would you suggest?

Old 11-01-2016, 12:28 PM

Hi again,

I am not that familiar enough with specific apartment complexes to recommend any. You may also want to consider renting from an individual (like a house or condo) as opposed to a complex - as that will open up many more options for you.

As for third and fourth after those two towns....maybe Westmont (Haddon Township) - which is the town next to Collingswood, or Haddonfield.

One of the advantages to all of the towns I recommended is they are all convenient to the PATCO high speedline, which is a train that connects South Jersey to Center City, Philadelphia.

The downside to renting in the towns I recommended is that rents are probably going to be higher than Gloucester County.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:55 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,733,338 times
I would suggest westmont or collingswood for the reasons already mentioned, but the concern about price might be an issue. That and distance to Rowan. Maybe pitman would be worth a look. You will find less young professionals there, as it will be more family oriented, but there's a downtown area, and Rowan is the next town over.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:14 PM

882 posts, read 1,664,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lid View Post
Hello,

Looking for apartments / towns for a work commute to Rowan University, I am in my late twenties.

Would like to keep the commute time under 30 minutes.

Budget: Once I get some a feel for what towns and apartments are available I can refine a budget range.

Would prefer to live in a town that provides some things to do. Are there any towns near by that have a nice small downtown with some restaurants and shops?

Are there apartment websites you could list so I can take a look at that fit this mold?

I think Lindenwold would provide the benefit of an easy in to Philly to do things, but it is a bit far for my day to day commute to Rowan.
I was in a similar situation, 20s, working for a university, looking for a "fun town" in SJ. As most have posted, Collingswood and Westmont are your best bets. They're no Hoboken or Morristown in terms of nightlife, but certainly fulfill the shops and restaurants criteria, Westmont also has a few ok bars. In terms of demographics, I found it to be skewed towards young families rather than young professionals, at least in Westmont. I didn't actually live in Collingswood but the crowd seemed similar. Both towns (and the region in general) are more parents-with-strollers than yuppies doing happy hour and crossfit. That doesn't mean you can't meet likeminded people, just cautioning that in my experience most folks were parents.

Apartment options are somewhat limited, Collingswood and Westmont are comprised mostly of single-family homes, you might find an apt.in one on craigslist, that's what I did. Collingswood has a few garden complexes, but they aren't close to downtown. The downtowns themselves are mostly 2-story buildings, so they don't feature many apartment options. Collingswood has the Lumberyard, Westmont has a new complex on Albertson Avenue, and another under construction called Haddon Towne Center. All these complexes have rents in the 1500-2000 range I think. Haddonfield is next-door and also has an active downtown, though it skews slightly wealthier and more family-oriented. There are three apartment buildings in downtown Haddonfield: Kingsway, Haddonfield Manor, and Chestnut House. The first two are around 950 for a 1-bed, the latter is close to 1500 I think.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:34 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,526,129 times
Look at Pitman. Contact realtors. There are some condos that were built at the height of the real estate bubble & owners rent them out.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:11 AM

I think South Jersey as a whole is geared toward families with children, no matter what town you live in. I think the difference with living in a town like Collingswood or Westmont in Camden County (as opposed to a town in Gloucester County) is that you have easier access to Philadelphia, which I think would be appealing for a young single professional (you didn't say you are single, just assuming). You might have a better/more active social life with easier access to Philly. The other big plus of Camden County is that you are close to Cherry Hill and Moorestown which is the shopping metropolis of all of South Jersey, not to mention TONS AND TONS of restaurants.

The downside is that (as mentioned above) rents will be higher and the drive to Rowan will be longer.

BTW, I am very familiar with all of these areas, having grown up in Washington Twp., (near Glassboro) and went to Rowan, and now I live in Cherry Hill. I also lived (and worked) in Pitman for a short time. There was a good chunk of time in my life where I was commuting from Cherry Hill to Rowan for school so I am familiar with the commute.

My opinion is that the longer drive is worth it for quality of life, but it really depends what your priorities are and what your budget is.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:04 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,939,897 times
I think they just put a large shopping outlet down in that area and a number of nice apartment buildings just went up in the swedesboro area. Maybe there are things to do around those outlets now? The closer you get to cherryhill/philly the higher the price tag is going to be. Take advantage of the fact that you'll be working way down rt55. All you need is a nice inexpensive place and a good local bar or 2.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:24 PM

28 posts, read 53,389 times
If no one else has suggested this, essex chase in glassboro, about 5 minutes from rowan university.
I live in one of this developers complexes. They are excellent. You can get a 2/2 for around 1400-1500. Highly recommend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia