U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 06:41 PM

53 posts, read 412,772 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from a chicago suburb and moved to update NY a few years ago. I'm unhappy with the area because it is too far from a big city so I do not enjoy any of the conveniences. I've got an offer to work at L-3 in camden so I am looking into moving to the area. I hear that Camden is pretty bad but there are lots of nice areas around. A friend suggested Cherry Hill. I've heard that camden county is alot more expensive than the surrounding counties, but I'd like to keep my commute under 20min, its hard to tell what traffic is like from google maps and such. I don't want to live in a city/urban environment, I'd rather live in a suburb. A place where I have easy access to quick shopping and such but not paying way too much for rent (maybe around $1200/mo). I'm a single guy (26) so I don't want to live in the middle of nowhere or in an area where everyone is married and retired. I'd like to be in an area where there's something to do. At the same time I'd like to beable to have quick access to parks with large open fields as I have picked up flying RC airplanes as a hobby.

I'd appretiate any suggestions. I also realize some of the things I'm looking for may be mutually exclusive. I've spent quite a bit of time reading through this forum and have found many good suggestions, but I thought I'd make a post giving more details on the type of area I'm specifically looking for.

Thanks

Last edited by lmbgm; 03-02-2008 at 07:02 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 07:28 PM

691 posts, read 2,936,727 times
Hello lmbgm,

The South Jersey area is great. You have convenient access to Philly with all the suburban amenities you will ever need.

My recommendations for apartments are to look in Mount Laurel, Marlton, or Cherry Hill. Your commute will be under 20min and you will be living in nice, safe, convenient areas.

IMO, the best apartment in the area is Mount Laurel Crossings off of Route 38. Lincoln Property Company, Inc. // Communities
It's about 1200/month for a 1br.

Other recommended, cheaper apts are Ramblewood Mews in Mt Laurel off of Route 73 and Allison Apts in Marlton off of Route 70.

Mt Laurel has lots of open space for your airplane flying including a giant park in the center of the township (Laurel Acres). I think you will enjoy the area.

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:56 PM

Thanks for replying. I'll definately look at the places you recc. I was already looking at Cherry Hill. The areas look pretty close, I just wasnt sure how bad traffic is for the commute.

I'm glad to hear that these areas are nice and safe and convenient. Are there interesting things to do around that area? any night life? Mostly young people or mostly older people? or is there an even mix? Demographic data can sometimes be deceptive since I can only look it up for specific cities and not the general area. I also forgot to ask if the area is still growing or is it pretty much maxed out and on the decline.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:30 AM

691 posts, read 2,936,727 times
There are interesting things to do. I mean the nightlife isn't anywhere near what it would be in an urban area but there are some good places. Decent hotspots include PJ Whelian's in Cherry Hill or Maple Shade. Prospectors in Mt Laurel. Taylor's in CH. Also, Kaminski's (sp?) in CH.

I would say there is a nice mix of ppl in the area. I know in Mt Laurel, the condos and apts are mixed between young professionals and older retired people while the single family houses are mostly families.

Cherry Hill is pretty much maxed out as far as growth is concerned but I wouldn't say it is declining. Mt Laurel and Marlton are still growing although not as fast as in the past.

Traffic would be fine commuting to Camden. I live in Mt Laurel and it took me 15min to get to the Ben Franklin Bridge (the bridge leading from Camden to Philly) today down Route 38. So I doubt it would ever take you longer than 20min unless there is an accident or something.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:48 PM

Yes, I should have clarified. I'm next expecting to go club-hopping or anything like that. I just want to know that there are several decent places to hang out, both quiet and loud. It sounds like Cherry Hill would be an excellent place for an apartment, I probably wouldnt buy a house there if its pretty much maxed. I noticed that you also mentioned Collingswood and Westmont in another thread, but those are right next to Cherry Hill.

I'll probably be down there next weekend to check out the area so I'll make sure to drop by Cherry Hill, Mount Laurel, Marlton, etc. Thanks

Old 03-03-2008, 07:45 PM

59 posts, read 161,241 times
Default try Collingswood

Sounds like you've just described Collingswood. It has a cute downtown with shops and restaurants, and it also has a large lake and access to Cooper River. I go kayaking in the Cooper. You can join a rowing club or just walk,ride or run around the park. Collingswood is easy commute to Philly as well. Hope this helps.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:10 PM

201 posts, read 424,788 times
Yes...... DON'T!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi Lichtman View Post
Sounds like you've just described Collingswood. It has a cute downtown with shops and restaurants, and it also has a large lake and access to Cooper River. I go kayaking in the Cooper. You can join a rowing club or just walk,ride or run around the park. Collingswood is easy commute to Philly as well. Hope this helps.
I'll look at that area too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhills Dad View Post
Yes...... DON'T!!!!!!
Don't what? can you elaborate?

Old 03-03-2008, 08:23 PM

1,001 posts, read 3,481,344 times
He's saying don't move to Camden..

Collingswood is a hip kinda town in the vacinity.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:47 PM

718 posts, read 2,257,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi Lichtman View Post
I second this. You have Cooper River, the park around it, and Knight Park is also nice. Its one of maybe 10 towns in South Jersey that have decent main streets type areas, and one of a small few that is the least bit exciting. You are 4-5 miles from the L-3 building in Camden, and about 10 minutes by train to Philadelphia for a big city. Best part is your rent can be had much cheaper than $1200, think like $800 a month. $1200 a month gets you a mortgage payment.

There really is no alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia