Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 10:21 AM

28 posts, read 53,702 times

Advertisements

The area youre talking about is nice. Most of gloucester township is. There is some new construction going on right across the street from the park township community park on hickstown rd. They have about 6 houses up. Builder is CalAtlantic. I woild expect the price to be right where you want. Easy communte to Philly. You're a mile from the freeway thst takes you into philly. Also a mile from stlantic city expressway. Close to deptford mall, premium outlets, lots of shopping on berlin cross keys rd. A mile from canden county college. There really is nothing you dont have access to. The schools are good. Theyre safe and like anywhere some are better than others. I think that would be ann mullen middle school and lilley elementary. Both in nice neighborhoods near lots of newer construction. I used to sub in this school district. Good kids.
This area is quiet, safe with access o everything.
Even though i live close to deptford i don't know a lot about it except to say its perfectly safe. I think that west deptford might be more desireable as far as new construction or nice housing. You're also closs to rowan college at gloucester county. Thats a nice area too.
When im driving around the areas in Lower camden county and gloucester county i am always surprised by the nice neighborhoods i find.
Gloucester township is consdered lower camden county. It is a lot less rural than it used to be but we still have farms and you can get farm produce or even rent a patch of land and grow your own.
Deptford is in gloucester county. Either is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 12:57 PM

4 posts, read 5,755 times
I'm going to have to disagree. I'm in Deptford and I think the schools are excellent. (I have three children in the school district.) Cherry Hill also has excellent schools, but I find it very congested and the property taxes are much higher.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:46 PM

31 posts, read 37,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swishtut View Post
The area youre talking about is nice. Most of gloucester township is. There is some new construction going on right across the street from the park township community park on hickstown rd. They have about 6 houses up. Builder is CalAtlantic. I woild expect the price to be right where you want. Easy communte to Philly. You're a mile from the freeway thst takes you into philly. Also a mile from stlantic city expressway. Close to deptford mall, premium outlets, lots of shopping on berlin cross keys rd. A mile from canden county college. There really is nothing you dont have access to. The schools are good. Theyre safe and like anywhere some are better than others. I think that would be ann mullen middle school and lilley elementary. Both in nice neighborhoods near lots of newer construction. I used to sub in this school district. Good kids.
This area is quiet, safe with access o everything.
Even though i live close to deptford i don't know a lot about it except to say its perfectly safe. I think that west deptford might be more desireable as far as new construction or nice housing. You're also closs to rowan college at gloucester county. Thats a nice area too.
When im driving around the areas in Lower camden county and gloucester county i am always surprised by the nice neighborhoods i find.
Gloucester township is consdered lower camden county. It is a lot less rural than it used to be but we still have farms and you can get farm produce or even rent a patch of land and grow your own.
Deptford is in gloucester county. Either is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasierra View Post
I'm going to have to disagree. I'm in Deptford and I think the schools are excellent. (I have three children in the school district.) Cherry Hill also has excellent schools, but I find it very congested and the property taxes are much higher.
I looked at winslow and Ann A Mulen. they do not have good ratings. its like 2/10 and 5/10. Though I am not very much looking for best school district but I guess this is what confuses me that if in couple of years my family grows out and I need to look out for a school district then it will be a trouble. Also it would mean downsizing for the same budget.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:43 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sans4ver View Post
I looked at winslow and Ann A Mulen. they do not have good ratings. its like 2/10 and 5/10. Though I am not very much looking for best school district but I guess this is what confuses me that if in couple of years my family grows out and I need to look out for a school district then it will be a trouble. Also it would mean downsizing for the same budget.
You should be looking at Barrington.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:08 PM

983 posts, read 2,774,128 times
One important thing to be aware of is that the traffic on Route 42, the main artery to and from Philadelphia from Gloucester County, is absolutely horrendous during rush hour. And it seems like there is always construction on that road too. They keep widening it, but it can never be wide enough to accommodate all the traffic.

It's especially bad Friday evenings in the summer when everyone heads to the shore.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:35 AM

592 posts, read 1,478,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You should be looking at Barrington.

incredibly high taxes?!

Old 05-03-2017, 04:39 AM

592 posts, read 1,478,888 times
Deptford vs Gloucester Twp

Check taxes.. while Gloucester Twp does have a lot of commercial development, Deptford has more. And Deptford is in Gloucester county. Add the two factors (commercial tax ratables and Gloucester county) and you'll see that Deptford tax rate can be cheaper for comparable houses.

Crime. Both towns are safe overall... but honestly, some of the crime reports coming out of Gloucester Township are downright scary. Things that I don't see written about for Deptford, and I am well in tune to looking for the stories. Admittedly while Deptford is a large town, GT is even larger... so some rougher areas can exist in both towns.

Schools? My kids never went to Deptford schools (we moved in after they were older). See very positive things from neighbors tho.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
Deptford vs Gloucester Twp

Check taxes.. while Gloucester Twp does have a lot of commercial development, Deptford has more. And Deptford is in Gloucester county. Add the two factors (commercial tax ratables and Gloucester county) and you'll see that Deptford tax rate can be cheaper for comparable houses.

Crime. Both towns are safe overall... but honestly, some of the crime reports coming out of Gloucester Township are downright scary. Things that I don't see written about for Deptford, and I am well in tune to looking for the stories. Admittedly while Deptford is a large town, GT is even larger... so some rougher areas can exist in both towns.

Schools? My kids never went to Deptford schools (we moved in after they were older). See very positive things from neighbors tho.
I know half a dozen people who taught in Deptford for at least 30 years. They still have contacts in the district. The schools used to be terrible. Over the years they improved. In recent years the schools have been declining. Apartments replaced the pig farms. A lot is section 8. One of the now retired teachers had a mother demand something that wasn't allowed. The mother threatened the teacher with a lawsuit. The teacher told her to go ahead, because the demand was not allowed & she'd drop the information that the mother & child lived in Camden & were using the mother's sister's address in one of those apartment complexes.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
incredibly high taxes?!
Barrington does not have incredibly high taxes. What it does have is good schools up to high school & an agreement with Haddon Heights for high school.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:26 AM

31 posts, read 37,402 times
We looked at Barrington.
yes the taxes are very high and even real estate prices are on higher side. I understand the proximity to philadelphia and better schools are advantages but $13K taxes for $300K house(3br) does not fit our bill.
Overall I have heard mixed reviews of Deptford but seems like I have formed a not so good opinion.
Currently We are looking Sicklerville(gloucester twsp) and Williamstown keeping close to AC Expressway/RT42
Hopefully the commute would not be horrible to Philadelphia and under 1 hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia