Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,520 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

In 3 weeks I will be relocating to NJ for a job located in Vineland, NJ. I've spent the past 5 weeks here so I'm a little familiar with some of the roads and how to get to Philadelphia but I haven't really explored any of the neighborhoods in Jersey. I'm 30 years old and single and like the city & night life.

What I'm looking for preferably:

I want to be on the Jersey side in a neighborhood as close to Philadelphia as possible.
I want to be on the route 55 or easy access to route 55.
I want to be near the Patco train station.
I want a young professional, vibrant type neighborhood
I'd like to keep my rent at $1000 or less
And I'd like to keep my transit under an hour.

I appreciate any help or suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 02:04 PM

122 posts, read 202,903 times
Seems like you have a good handle on what you want. I think you'll need to compromise on being close to 55 to get the rest of what you want. I'd suggest Collingswood and/or Haddon Township. The commute would be 50min to one hour to Vineland, but the fact that you'd be reverse commuting might help. Regardless, they are the only towns in the area that offer anything that I'd consider "young professional, vibrant type neighborhood." They are 15-20 minutes from Philly if you take PATCO. One note, Collingswood is a dry town, but Haddon Township is not. They are right next to each other and lots of people in Collingswood could easily walk to bars/restaurants in Haddon Township (side note: there's a microbrewery in Collingswood now so it's not totally dry). You're going to be pushing it with that budget though.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:23 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
I agree. I would go with Haddon Township here. In the parts worth living in, it might be a little cheaper. And the bars are right there, although you should definitely still hang out in Philly more often to get the vibe and crowd you want.

A couple of other options would be Pitman and Glassboro. They are closer to Vineland and have easy 55 access. They will be more affordable too. The trade off is that it's not a yuppie crowd. Glassboro is building up a lot around Rowan to give it more of a college town vibe, but it still remains blue collar for the most part. Also maybe college students are not what you want to be around, although they do probably have some grad students living there too, which would be closer to you in age.

First choice Haddon Township. Hopefully you can find something in your price range. 3 weeks is pretty short notice.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
Also, word to the wise, choosing to commute from Haddon Township to Vineland will use a lot of gas and take a wear on your car over time. I think if you do move there, long term you should be thinking about trying to find a job in Philly, Camden County, or Burlington County...which even if it's the same job as you do right now, might pay more than in Vineland anyway.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:42 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsheaded2jersey View Post
Good afternoon,

In 3 weeks I will be relocating to NJ for a job located in Vineland, NJ. I've spent the past 5 weeks here so I'm a little familiar with some of the roads and how to get to Philadelphia but I haven't really explored any of the neighborhoods in Jersey. I'm 30 years old and single and like the city & night life.

What I'm looking for preferably:

I want to be on the Jersey side in a neighborhood as close to Philadelphia as possible.
I want to be on the route 55 or easy access to route 55.
I want to be near the Patco train station.
I want a young professional, vibrant type neighborhood
I'd like to keep my rent at $1000 or less
And I'd like to keep my transit under an hour.

I appreciate any help or suggestions
I commuted from Cherry Hill to Vineland, years ago. I'd suggest that you look in Pitman. It's less wear & tear on the car. In recent years, grad students from Rowan have been renting in Pitman, when they can find something there. Check out Carolina Blue. If you take back roads, it's a pretty easy drive to the Haddonfield PATCO station.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:18 AM

4 posts, read 12,318 times
Agree with Glassboro - Pitman. Vineland is a straight, quick commute via 55 and you don't deal with 295/42 traffic. About 30 minutes from center city Philly. Affordable housing and decent rental options. Philly magazine just named the two towns among its 10 hottest suburbs. See 10 Hottest Suburban Philadelphia Towns | Property

Old 05-02-2017, 01:54 PM

175 posts, read 607,200 times
Moving to Vineland??? Oh dear. I've been trying to get out since I moved here.. lol.
Didn't think anyone would want to move here on purpose.

"I want a young professional, vibrant type neighborhood"-- That lets Vineland out right away.
"I'd like to keep my rent at $1000 or less"- Yep if you wanna live in a tent.

"I'm single and like the city & night life". You WON'T here. If you go out and want the night life-I wouldn't.

Just my humble observations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia