Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2017, 04:15 AM

450 posts, read 596,759 times

Advertisements

Being forced to move to southern NJ. Son lives in Voorhees but says taxes are too high. He told me Berlin would be a better/cheaper choice. Need to be around 20 minutes from him. Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 07:39 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
I'm guessing you are retired and have no worries about a commute, since you didn't mention that at all. So if none of that matters, or schools as well, then to be close to Voorhees but cheaper, then Berlin is a good choice. Overall, it's a blue collar town with not much going on. Crime isn't much of an issue, so if you are just looking for a random place to live that is convenient to your son's place, Berlin is fine. Also check out Somerdale which also borders Voorhees and is cheaper. You can also check Marlton which borders Voorhees to the north.

This is NJ so no matter where you go, property taxes are pretty high. Somerdale and Berlin property values are cheaper than Voorhees and pay lower taxes as a result, but the rate (percentage of tax versus the value) is still high. Marlton is in a County that generally has lower rates. You can find homes in similar value ranges as Voorhees but will pay a little less on the taxes.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:17 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
What Leps12 said. You won't find cheap property taxes anywhere in NJ, but Berlin will likely be cheaper than Voorhees. The nice thing about Berlin is that you can hop on Route 73 in Berlin and hop off 73 in Voorhees. Depending on where your son lives in Voorhees, 20 minutes would be do-able -- as long as you're not doing it during rush hour. Route 73 tends to turn into a nice, slow commute in the morning and evening.

I worked in Berlin for 3 years within the recent past. Met lots of Berliners (worked in a medical practice.) The people were by and large nice. Not a ton of crime in the residential area. Houses are a mix of older homes and some developments. It's close to shopping.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:42 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Old thread, but there are a few interesting points.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-township.html

Old 04-24-2017, 12:49 PM

25 posts, read 56,111 times
I don't know the name of the complex, but there are some newer townhouse/condo communities in that area. Check with the local realtor, from Berkshire Hathaway, Val Nunnenkamp. He was a long-time Voorhees resident himself and downsized to a townhouse community which I believe is in the Berlin Township area.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:16 PM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Berlin is a pretty boring place to live.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:37 PM

Dull people are bored. I was going to say...

Some people don't need pretty lights and noise. It's a day trip to Philly, though. I really like Philly.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:52 PM

450 posts, read 596,759 times
Been a while but we're here. Berlin isn't a bad place after all. Bought a place over the internet with a very helpful real estate agent. With my son's help I found one that looked good. My son said all it needed was a little TLC. Well, that turned out to be the worlds biggest lie. A little TLC turned out to be 14 months of back breaking work and almost 60 grand to turn this place into a nice home. The first estimates from contractors brought several young men in suits and ties. One even told me to go between G and I when I suggested he leave rather quickly. Our real estate agent found out and recommended her preferred contractor. He showed up in work clothes and quoted a price that was less than half the cost of the other guys. He did a nearly perfect job, his crew showed up sober every day, they cleaned up, listened to my requests and addressed any issues that developed. And they finished on time.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the update. Berlin isn't a bad place at all. My son works there, so I get weekly updates. He's told me that Speedy Mart makes a very good breakfast sandwich. I had breakfast with my sister about ten years ago at the New Berlin Diner and she loved the waffles. My nephew preferred the Palace Diner because they have a liquor license. Jack's in Laurel Springs makes killer doughnuts.

It's also not far from the upscale shopping in Marlton. No one needs to go to L.L. Bean or Trader Joe's daily, but they're there if you need them.

Longacoming, Long-A-Coming, is a pretty interesting place when you get to know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia