Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 782 times

Advertisements

Hi all, great forum here and been reading studiously for the last couple of weeks.

Where are you coming from? Hong Kong
Why are you moving? My career and western lifestyle/education for the young kids.
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? NYC Manhattan

Will you buy or rent? Rent for 1st year - then buy after exploring NJ.
What is your budget ? I have 250K USD savings, so budget is around 500-750K. Salary is around 120K USD.

What kind of place are you looking for ? Minimum 2 bedrooms.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Trailing wife, 2 young daughters, 5 and 2.
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes!

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in. Deciding between summit or maplewood.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
Safety, family oriented and 1hour max commute from NY Manhattan.

Seeking opinions of my initial plan.

1) Rent in Jersey City or Hoboken for the first year, explore NJ and then choose an area or go rent in summit/maplewood.

2) In HK it is common to have a live in nanny, are babysitting services easily available/common in the areas we want to move to? Reason is that we will be on our own with no extended family.

3) Is a car vital? If so, how much would you budget for a small family car?

4) After taxes and daily expenses, I will have 3-4k clear per month. As I already have some savings, would you keep saving or spend it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 06:55 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
Hi! You should be posting in the regular NJ Forum since you will be working in NYC & will want to live in the areas of No. NJ.

Best of luck to you and your family on your move to NJ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia