Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 08:54 AM

3 posts, read 8,358 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife, myself, and three girls (ages 5, 2, newborn) currently live in Williamstown. We are looking to move within the next year. Our desire is for a 4 bedroom home, in the $325-$375 range. We were both raised in neighboring Washington Twp, and thought Williamstown was the next town to boom. We have been here for 10 years, and that has not been the case. We know we can get a lot of home for the money down here, but we are more focused on the best move for the family, and the future. My wife works at a federal building in Camden, and I work at the Tech Center in Egg Harbor Twp. I would be willing for a max of 1 hour commute each way, would like my wifes commute to get better, not worse, than it currently is.

Our biggest concern, as with everyone else, is schools. I have gotten mixed reviews, where many people say you get what you put into it. However, if I see bad ratings on multiple sources for school districts, I tend to think we should stay away. This is what I have seen with Williamstown, nothing truly positive.

We also don't want to be the poor family in town, LOL, so that probably eliminates Haddonfield. We do well as a family income, between $160-$180 combined, but would like to afford our house, savings, and to spend a little for vacations and what not.

We have discussed the following towns, but feel free to throw more out there, that would fall in my range.

-Stay in Williamstown
-Washington Twp
-Mullica Hill area
-Three M's (Medford, Mt Laurel, Moorestown)
-Cherry Hill
-Haddons (Twp, Heights, field)
-Voorhees
-Any other Camden Co town for the most part
-Haven't looked into Burlington County much due to the commute to EHT

Any input I appreciate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 07:21 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,734,502 times
Voorhees sounds about right for you when talk into account schools and both of your commutes. $375k might not get you a new construction large home, but I think with your income, you might be able to afford a little more.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:36 PM

32,844 posts, read 36,138,608 times
M. You forgot Marlton.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:42 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,533,091 times
Pitman or Barrington

Old 08-02-2017, 07:56 AM

5 posts, read 10,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroeck View Post
Hello,

My wife, myself, and three girls (ages 5, 2, newborn) currently live in Williamstown. We are looking to move within the next year. Our desire is for a 4 bedroom home, in the $325-$375 range. We were both raised in neighboring Washington Twp, and thought Williamstown was the next town to boom. We have been here for 10 years, and that has not been the case. We know we can get a lot of home for the money down here, but we are more focused on the best move for the family, and the future. My wife works at a federal building in Camden, and I work at the Tech Center in Egg Harbor Twp. I would be willing for a max of 1 hour commute each way, would like my wifes commute to get better, not worse, than it currently is.

Our biggest concern, as with everyone else, is schools. I have gotten mixed reviews, where many people say you get what you put into it. However, if I see bad ratings on multiple sources for school districts, I tend to think we should stay away. This is what I have seen with Williamstown, nothing truly positive.

We also don't want to be the poor family in town, LOL, so that probably eliminates Haddonfield. We do well as a family income, between $160-$180 combined, but would like to afford our house, savings, and to spend a little for vacations and what not.

We have discussed the following towns, but feel free to throw more out there, that would fall in my range.

-Stay in Williamstown
-Washington Twp
-Mullica Hill area
-Three M's (Medford, Mt Laurel, Moorestown)
-Cherry Hill
-Haddons (Twp, Heights, field)
-Voorhees
-Any other Camden Co town for the most part
-Haven't looked into Burlington County much due to the commute to EHT

Any input I appreciate!

I believe the highest average SJ SAT scores goes to haddonfield, followed by cherry hill east and then voorhees.

I think haddonfields avg HHI is 134k.

I wouldn't be concerned with having the least amount of wealth. Any parent who values education raising nice kids are a welcome to any community.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:59 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,549,437 times
One thing to be careful of is, of course property taxes. We left cherry HIll for that reason, yes the schools were good but our property taxes were 14K a year. IMO that was insane.

My sons are graduates of the black horse pike regional school system. it served us well especially my oldest son who has Aspergers. My youngest is currently going into his last year at Temple with great grades so no complaints from me.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:45 AM

1,616 posts, read 3,756,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroeck View Post
We also don't want to be the poor family in town,
Very Smart. Too many people move to towns where they are the poorest and then complain that everyone is "stuck up".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia