Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 01:31 PM

12 posts, read 15,524 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move further south to be closer to family and have an affordable house. Where we live currently it's easily 500k for a fixer-upper. We have a younger child so good school system and area is a big thing for us.

My husband is commuting so we're hoping to keep the commute under 60 miles. We were planning to only look at Cherry Hill, Marlton, Mt Laurel, then our Realtor suggested Delran, Cinnaminson, Hainesport, and Burlington Township as possibilities. We are not too familiar with those towns.

Also, myusband wants away from the high tension wire tower which can be right behind a house in Marlton. We're hoping to stay in the low 300s, but could do 350. I've seen nice stuff in Delran, but we're curious how the area and schools are in Delran, Cinnaminson, Hainesport, and Burlington Township?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by AutumnFalls; 09-09-2018 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 05:34 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
This thread should be moved to the New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia.

Which way would he prefer to drive to work? Where is he going?

It's easy to stay away from the towers, lines. They're in Marlton, Medford, Mt. Laurel, and keep going for miles. They connect here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9137.../data=!3m1!1e3 and here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9488.../data=!3m1!1e3.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:11 PM

Thanks! I'm new here We live near a bunch of towels/lines and it's so unsightly.
He will be commuting to Woodbridge, NJ.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:19 AM

9 posts, read 7,017 times
If he is commuting to Woodbridge then I would suggest areas that are near the turnpike, route 95. The only one that fits that bill sounds like it would be Burlington Township, from your secondary list. I went to Burlington Township schools and all I can say is my kids won’t go there and is not an option for us. Every other town that is listed, such as Delran, you would have go through lots of back roads in order to get to the turnpike. Definitely don’t want to be on route 130 because that is all lights and congestion.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCastleXSearch View Post
If he is commuting to Woodbridge then I would suggest areas that are near the turnpike, route 95. The only one that fits that bill sounds like it would be Burlington Township, from your secondary list. I went to Burlington Township schools and all I can say is my kids won’t go there and is not an option for us. Every other town that is listed, such as Delran, you would have go through lots of back roads in order to get to the turnpike. Definitely don’t want to be on route 130 because that is all lights and congestion.
Being close to turnpike or 295 is a big thing for us too. He would actually be taking creek road for 2 miles then 295 then mt holly rd 3 miles to turnpike. Are those roads bad?

Old 09-10-2018, 11:08 AM

If it helps, we're looking around stoneham drive in delran

Old 09-10-2018, 02:31 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I'd skip Burlington Township, too. Even if the schools were OK, I wouldn't choose to live next to Willingboro. Northern Mt. Laurel should still be a consideration. Their schools have a good reputation.

Few people mention Hainesport. It's almost as though it doesn't exist, like there's some sort of void between Medford and Mt. Holly. It seems like a nice area to me. There are still a few very small farms, a horse boarding and training "farm", recreation complex, township park, and small, unimproved, state park. I don't know a thing about their schools.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'd skip Burlington Township, too. Even if the schools were OK, I wouldn't choose to live next to Willingboro. Northern Mt. Laurel should still be a consideration. Their schools have a good reputation.

Few people mention Hainesport. It's almost as though it doesn't exist, like there's some sort of void between Medford and Mt. Holly. It seems like a nice area to me. There are still a few very small farms, a horse boarding and training "farm", recreation complex, township park, and small, unimproved, state park. I don't know a thing about their schools.
I'm not familiar with the areas aside from Cherry Hill, Marlton, Moorestown and Mt Laurel. Is Delran itself bad or is it the proximity to Willingboro that's bad?

Old 09-10-2018, 04:30 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnFalls View Post
I'm not familiar with the areas aside from Cherry Hill, Marlton, Moorestown and Mt Laurel. Is Delran itself bad or is it the proximity to Willingboro that's bad?
None of these towns are bad. They are working class to middle class. If you have to rank, it’s probably Burlington Twp, Cinnaminson, Hainesport, Delran. But they are all pretty close to each other.

My problem with your picks are the distance to Woodbridge. That will still be an ugly commute. You might do better looking further north, staying close to the Turnpike. Allentown is closer to Woodbridge, not much more expensive than the towns you mentioned, and the schools are actually markedly better (Upper Freehold, also joined by Millstone for high school). The only problem is that it is a very tiny town, so it could be tougher trying to find available housing stock.

Better yet, East Windsor/Hightstown would also fit the bill and move your commute even closer.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
None of these towns are bad. They are working class to middle class. If you have to rank, it’s probably Burlington Twp, Cinnaminson, Hainesport, Delran. But they are all pretty close to each other.

My problem with your picks are the distance to Woodbridge. That will still be an ugly commute. You might do better looking further north, staying close to the Turnpike. Allentown is closer to Woodbridge, not much more expensive than the towns you mentioned, and the schools are actually markedly better (Upper Freehold, also joined by Millstone for high school). The only problem is that it is a very tiny town, so it could be tougher trying to find available housing stock.

Better yet, East Windsor/Hightstown would also fit the bill and move your commute even closer.
Ah okay, so Delran is the lowest then? Ideally, we'd like to be closer to our family that is further south in Voorhees and Marlton area. I'm originally from Cherry Hill. The other towns you mentioned were ones we considerations early on, but with our budget, we weren't finding much, unfortunately.

Editing to add my husband is super picky about houses, he wants pretty modern, high ceilings, so that's why further south is more affordable. He says if he's spending the money and commuting he wants to it to be worth it. I also worry bout the long commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia