Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2018, 09:16 PM

81 posts, read 55,200 times

Advertisements

Greetings to all.

Real quick, I'm originally from northeast living both in north and central NJ. We've spent many years living abroad and other states domestically. Lived in the south the last 20 yrs and we are VERY READY to move back north. NC was ok, Tx was just ok and Ga not so much. Florida although is too stinking hot, hurricanes are annoying and several other factors we just don't appreciate in addition to the massive influx in population. Presently, Florida's population has surpassed NY state. The COLA here in central florida just is not as attractive anymore and the population is increasing by leaps and bounds. We will be nearing retirement soon and want to settle where we truly feel home which is NJ. I realize many northern folks retirement dream is to retire in the south but to us we've been there done that and not feeling it to be the resting place.

I understand many say that NJ just is not affordable due to taxes and home prices but that is not entirely true since my research over time shows that there are still places that are in budget under $250k.

I would like to hear from those who have lived in NJ, PA or even DE relocated to the south and returned back home. What were your experiences upon returning home as far as adjustment, affordability, climate readjustment, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 10:19 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
I grew up in Northeastern PA, and while I love many things about the area, it is no longer home. My husband was career military, Special Forces, so we spent a fair amount of time in Fayetteville, NC. Thankfully, my son and I rarely had to go with him to Georgia or Southern Virginia. Those were one to three month assignments and they were usually in the summer or approaching school winter holiday.

When I was little, my family vacationed at the New Jersey shore. I've always felt as though I belonged there. I've been to many other beaches in my life, but I still like them the most.

Living there? When my husband retired from the military, he got a fantastic job in Southern New Jersey. We rented for a few years. After having lived in the South, housing prices startled us--even in Southern NJ.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:48 AM

10 posts, read 11,303 times
We are moving from Texas to Nj after being there 6 years and can’t wait to get back. We lived in Dover , De for 11 years prior to the move. Northern De is really crime ridden, central De more rural, southern De beach and tourist area. Did enjoy living in De but my husband will be working in Philly. We have found the housing prices in southern NJ to be reasonable. The property taxes are better than some areas in Texas. We are moving to Millville, NJ, bought a house on 5 acres with 4 car garage for $265000. We also have a house in Florida which we plan to sell in spring, it was our 2nd Hurricane that hit our area. I do not think I would retire in NJ, they do tax all retirement, but we will be retiring in the next several years, but are considering Pa to retire, they do not tax retirement. The great thing about S NJ close to jersey shore, close to Philly, more small town feeling. Good luck finding your home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: