U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,255 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I are looking to move out of Philly to the NJ suburbs. She works in Philly and I work in Wilmington DE. We have a kid on the way so wanted to get out of the city and get some more space. I'm curious about the layout of Haddon Twp, why is it divided up in half? Anyone living in West Collingswood Extension or West Collingswood Heights that can comment on the area as a whole? Given the location of our jobs, minimizing commute times is important for us, so the Haddon Twp Exclaves seem like a good fit. Close to Walt Whitman for her and close to 130/295 for me. However they're much closer to Camden so wasn't sure if the area was generally considered safe. I've been told Haddon Twp is a relatively well-off area as a whole, but not sure if when people say that they are referring to the main part of it, and if so, are the exclaves more neglected in terms of resources?

Any other areas folks would recommend?

Thanks so much for the help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 09:17 AM

28,464 posts, read 27,247,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adil_909 View Post
Hi, my wife and I are looking to move out of Philly to the NJ suburbs. She works in Philly and I work in Wilmington DE. We have a kid on the way so wanted to get out of the city and get some more space. I'm curious about the layout of Haddon Twp, why is it divided up in half? Anyone living in West Collingswood Extension or West Collingswood Heights that can comment on the area as a whole? Given the location of our jobs, minimizing commute times is important for us, so the Haddon Twp Exclaves seem like a good fit. Close to Walt Whitman for her and close to 130/295 for me. However they're much closer to Camden so wasn't sure if the area was generally considered safe. I've been told Haddon Twp is a relatively well-off area as a whole, but not sure if when people say that they are referring to the main part of it, and if so, are the exclaves more neglected in terms of resources?

Any other areas folks would recommend?

Thanks so much for the help!
Why is it divided? https://www.courierpostonline.com/st...reek/24635137/

Someone posted about that area in 2013 and said that it was safe but less desirable. I don't know how it is now. "Bad" Area of Collingswood

When people mention Collingswood or Haddon Twp., they mean the main part to the east.

I wouldn't choose to live that close to Camden.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:41 AM

122 posts, read 146,055 times
Seconding what Gerania said above, people do not consider West Collingswood Heights to be a safe part of Haddon Township. The rest of the town, east of Collingswood is very safe however, and I think you'd find that, depending on what part of Haddon Township you live in the time to get to 295 South isn't that bad. I live in the area between Cuthbert and Crystal Lake Blvd and can be on 295 South in about five minutes via the White Horse Pike in Haddon Heights. You would still be looking at a 45-55 minute commute to Wilmington every morning. Haddon Heights is another town you may want to consider due to its proximity to 295 and the PATCO stops in Haddonfield or Westmont.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:09 PM

808 posts, read 659,548 times
I don't know anything about the "figure 8" exclaves, but they look a bit rundown compared to Westmont. The plus side, you will be in the Haddon Twp school district which is better than the Collingswood district, then again I've never been a fan of scraping the barrel to be in a certain school district and becoming socioeconomically the smallest fish in the pond. As for Westmont, it is a fine place.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:43 AM

28,464 posts, read 27,247,137 times
You have kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia