Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 11:02 PM

8 posts, read 9,540 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I currently live in South Philly and commute to Wilmington which isn't too bad. However, my work is relocating and I'm looking for a new job in Philly.

Now, the complexity is that I've just had a little boy with my wife and we want to be somewhat closer to her family in AC.we currently rent in the city and decided it's time to plant some roots. We both would be working in the city but are looking for an area with train transport into the city that's about 30 to 40 minutes drive to AC.

Hammonton comes to mind but I've heard mixed reviews, poor schools and worse schools if you're in the winslow district etc.

What areas would you recommend for a young couple with an infant? Our budget is about 300 to 350. We are willing to pay about 8k in taxes a year. We would like decent schools, some proximity to a downtown and of course safety. Friends of ours just moved to Morristown and it's great but way too far from AC.

We were looking in Cherry Hill, Haddon Township etc but that's just as far from AC as Philly itself.

I'm stumped right now and would love some help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 05:56 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Southern Evesham Township. You'll be able to find something in your price range, the schools are good, and the Atco PATCO station isn't far away.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:37 AM

184 posts, read 370,383 times
Atco doesn't have a PATCO station, Lindenwold does.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:02 AM

So like this area in the screenshot? That's quite far from the expressway to AC and about 20mins to the Lindenwold Patco.

Google maps says it's 52 minutes from AC, and 40 minutes from Philly with no traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to live between Philly and AC-screenshot_20181102-105808.jpg  

Old 11-02-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGRK View Post
So like this area in the screenshot? That's quite far from the expressway to AC and about 20mins to the Lindenwold Patco.

Google maps says it's 52 minutes from AC, and 40 minutes from Philly with no traffic.
Yes, that's it. The Atco station--which is not on the PATCO line--is just west or southwest of there on Rt. 73

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ev...!4d-74.8857989

The station is probably closed now until after the first of the year.

https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...4dfbd34e0.html

Kings Grant is a very nice neighborhood, but it's a bit further from the train.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ev...!4d-74.8857989

https://www.kingsgrantosa.org/

Old 11-03-2018, 01:46 PM

91 posts, read 82,108 times
Voorhees Twp, close to 73 and Cooper Rd. intersection is a good location. Close enough to PATCO (Lindenwold Station) for Philly, and for AC, you'd just take 73 S and can get on AC Expressway, or 30 E if you want to avoid tolls. Where in AC area is your wife's family? If they are in Mays Landing or Egg Harbor Twp., it can be driven within 45 minutes from that side of Voorhees. I know some people that live in Marlton and Voorhees who commute to the FAA Tech Center. Another in between area is Washington Twp and Williamstown.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrell12 View Post
Voorhees Twp, close to 73 and Cooper Rd. intersection is a good location. Close enough to PATCO (Lindenwold Station) for Philly, and for AC, you'd just take 73 S and can get on AC Expressway, or 30 E if you want to avoid tolls. Where in AC area is your wife's family? If they are in Mays Landing or Egg Harbor Twp., it can be driven within 45 minutes from that side of Voorhees. I know some people that live in Marlton and Voorhees who commute to the FAA Tech Center. Another in between area is Washington Twp and Williamstown.
Sorry, they're in AC, Atlantic City, close to Ventnor so still a fair way from egg harbor and mays landing

Old 11-03-2018, 06:53 PM

We found a really nice place in this area. Saw it today but also realize it's in the Winslow school district.

We definitely won't buy in the area based on the school district reputation but when going to great schools website and typing in the address, it also brings up Hammonton schools.

Does anyone know whether kids can easily attend these schools or are they stuck in Winslow.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to live between Philly and AC-screenshot_20181103-204402.jpg  

Old 11-03-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrell12 View Post
Ashland might be closer or preferable.

ETA, Washington Twp. and Williamstown aren't near a train. He said that he was looking for train service.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGRK View Post
We found a really nice place in this area. Saw it today but also realize it's in the Winslow school district.

We definitely won't buy in the area based on the school district reputation but when going to great schools website and typing in the address, it also brings up Hammonton schools.

Does anyone know whether kids can easily attend these schools or are they stuck in Winslow.
I have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia