Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 8,704 times

Advertisements

Investigating the "reason" Leisuretown in Southampton, NJ, 08088 has absurdly high electric bills. I've been told the small 2/bd 2/bth runs $500. mnth! And the residents are "required" to use a particular provider Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 07:28 PM

6 posts, read 33,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COHENGAL View Post
I've been told the small 2/bd 2/bth runs $500. month!
You have to provide a context for that figure otherwise it's meaningless.

I guess if you set the AC to 60 and left the windows open it would cost you $500 in the summer. Wherever you got the $500 quote is absurdly incorrect or they are doing far more than "average" heating and cooling + living. I haven't seen a bill over $100 for those I know living in Leisuretown.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:11 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Well, the required provider would make sense. There is generally only one "provider" available in most areas. What you can choose is the "supplier" and the right to choose one is based on the area they serve and not all suppliers are available in all areas.

As to a $500 electric bill, without any reference it's impossible to say whether or not it's reasonable. For instance, if the houses used a heat pump with electric back up, it isn't out of the realm of normal that electric bills in the winter could be $500.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 16,746 times
The electric rates in Leisuretowne are definately higher. I got an electric bill this past winter for $684.00 for one month. I keep my heat on 65 degrees. I finally went on the budget with PSE&G.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Heatpumps are extremely efficient for cooling & extremely inefficient for heating under 40 degrees. I highly recommend a kerosene heater for under 40 degrees. It makes a huge difference.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:20 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
As to a $500 electric bill, without any reference it's impossible to say whether or not it's reasonable. For instance, if the houses used a heat pump with electric back up, it isn't out of the realm of normal that electric bills in the winter could be $500.
We have a hybrid electric heat pump with gas backup and its VERY efficient.. In fact the largest heating bill over the winter (gas and electric and service contract for us with a 4 bed 3 bath split level was $255 .. In Feburary. In may it was down to $119 for everything..

Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
We have a hybrid electric heat pump with gas backup and its VERY efficient.. In fact the largest heating bill over the winter (gas and electric and service contract for us with a 4 bed 3 bath split level was $255 .. In Feburary. In may it was down to $119 for everything..
The newer hybrid systems with gas backup are great, they provide the best of both worlds. However, most homes in NJ that have heatpumps have them because there wasn't any gas infrastructure in the area they were built in. Those homes have electric backups that are really inefficient.

The best example around here are the older homes in King's Grant, which almost universally have heat pump systems with electric backup unless the owners paid to extend the gas line to their home. Some of the older developments in my area are also heat pump systems, but many of them use some sort of fuel backup like propane or oil.

Given where Leisuretown is, I would guess most of those places are running heat pumps with electic backups, hence the really high winter energy bills.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 16,746 times
Most of the homes in Leisuretowne have electric baseboard heat. A few of the newer homes have gas heating, and still fewer have installed heat pumps with electric backups. I have the electric baseboard heat, and while the winter months are expensive, I find that the summer months run about $150.00 to $200.00 even with central air. My home is approx. 1400 sq. feet.

Miss Duffy

Old 05-09-2014, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 5,716 times
Default electric bills in Leisuretowne

You bet they are high. Our first year here prompted us to put in a Pellet Stove. Love it, good alternative, and cozy heat. Electric heat is cold. Everyone I talk to has high electric bills.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:58 AM

41 posts, read 248,885 times
Boiler with baseboard heat is the best most even heat you can have. Hot air heat next best heat.........Electric heat is hot and cold......gets very warm when it is on, but can get quite chilly before the thermostat turns the electric heat back on.

and yes electric baseboard heat is very expensive. No way around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia