U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2019, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 2,439 times

Advertisements

Hi, My wife is starting a new job in Stratford NJ. I currently work in West Chester, PA. We are looking for something in between. We were looking at like Swedesboro so we can avoid I95 rush hour. Is this doable? How is the area in South Jersey? Should we live on the PA side like Brookhaven? What would you all recommend? Out budget is like 1600-ish, prefer to not go that high but can if we need to. Also, we only need one bedroom but are open to 2BR. Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 05:34 AM

28,459 posts, read 27,242,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NtDMx View Post
Hi, My wife is starting a new job in Stratford NJ. I currently work in West Chester, PA. We are looking for something in between. We were looking at like Swedesboro so we can avoid I95 rush hour. Is this doable? How is the area in South Jersey? Should we live on the PA side like Brookhaven? What would you all recommend? Out budget is like 1600-ish, prefer to not go that high but can if we need to. Also, we only need one bedroom but are open to 2BR. Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks in advance.
That's the half way point, but I don't think that there are many apartments for rent there.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:31 AM

719 posts, read 132,323 times
I'm not familiar with apartments in Brookhaven, but in the Swedesboro area, there is
https://apartmentsatweatherby.com/available-units/

They only have 2 bedrooms and rents are a little higher than $1500. They typically don't keep open units - the next one available appears to be in March 15th.

That area isn't too far from the bridges, and it's quiet area and not much activity around it.

The Deptford area has more apartments and one that I liked was:
https://theaustinapartments.com/

That community has 1 bedrooms and usually some units are available. It's close to a new Edge Fitness gym and stores in Deptford, including the Deptford Mall. A little more activity than Swedesboro and probably closer commute for your wife, but longer for you.

I know of some apartment communities in West Chester and Glen Mills. Those would be good locations for you, but longer commute for your wife. Long term though, where you want to settle down? Would you prefer buying on the PA side? I think homes appreciate more over there; Landscape is scenic and there is Ridley Creek State Park nearby. I just ask because people typically want to rent in an area first then buy later, in the same area, and South Jersey is also very different than Southeast PA.

Media might be another option if you are looking for more equal commutes for you and your wife. It appears one can get from Media to Stratford in 40 minutes, Media to West Chester in 30 minutes. It's a nice area and it has Trader Joes and other stores.

Last edited by g555; 02-06-2019 at 08:42 AM..

Old 02-09-2019, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,413 times
I'd consider a search in Mullica Hill, NJ. You might call a real estate office in Swedesboro if that's the town (or the surrounding area) you're most interested in.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:46 AM

29,812 posts, read 20,486,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizProperty View Post
I'd consider a search in Mullica Hill, NJ. You might call a real estate office in Swedesboro if that's the town (or the surrounding area) you're most interested in.
Mullica Hill is a very lovely town, but just a warning taxes are outrageous. We looked at a 2-bedroom home that had taxes of just under $10,000 a year. We bought a 3-bedroom home in Williamstown with taxes about $6500.00.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:54 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,500,680 times
Brookhaven is a nice area. Safe and respectable working neighbors. Nothing to fancy smancy. It's cheaper to live there than in some other places around that area in PA because it is not as convenient to get to the city as say, Media or Conshohocken. I'd ask on the Philadelphia forum for PA suggestions, but you can also consider Folsom, Essington, Ridley Park, and Wallingford, and Woodlyn. Especially if you are not considering school district. If you are, then on the PA side, you have cyber to consider as an option as some of those suggestions are not so great for school district, but otherwise good location and reasonably still safe in my opinion.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 2,439 times
Thank you everyone for the information and responses. We are still looking and are even looking into Claymont, DE. Seems still a pretty good commute. I think we are starting to lean more towards SE Pa then NJ now that we have more information and have driven around a bit. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or