U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2019, 07:32 PM

17 posts, read 25,162 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move out of Center City to South Jersey. Our son will be in 3rd grade in September, and we've outgrown our itty bitty house and can't afford anything larger in our neighborhood.
We are looking at Haddonfield and Haddon Twp.

I know that all of the Haddonfield schools seem great, but I'm having trouble getting a handle on Haddon Twp. The high school seems to be ranked well, but the elementary schools are not great (if you believe GreatSchools and Niche)
I seems like Jennings is the best (but also furthest away from Patco and any "downtown")
The worst is Edison, and it's closest to the train and downtown.
Does this ring true? Any other places to research school rankings?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 08:27 AM

122 posts, read 146,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melr76 View Post
We are considering a move out of Center City to South Jersey. Our son will be in 3rd grade in September, and we've outgrown our itty bitty house and can't afford anything larger in our neighborhood.
We are looking at Haddonfield and Haddon Twp.

I know that all of the Haddonfield schools seem great, but I'm having trouble getting a handle on Haddon Twp. The high school seems to be ranked well, but the elementary schools are not great (if you believe GreatSchools and Niche)
I seems like Jennings is the best (but also furthest away from Patco and any "downtown")
The worst is Edison, and it's closest to the train and downtown.
Does this ring true? Any other places to research school rankings?
I did my own research into this a while back and from talking with people, I generally though that Van Sciver was the best in Haddon Township, but that most of the others were close. But frankly, I think this all depends more on what you think makes for a good school (test scores, diversity, etc). I think the Niche and Great Schools sites are useful to find source data, but looking at their topline ranking is kind of useless to me. For example, Great Schools has two of the Haddonfield elementary schools as having the same ranking as most of the Haddon Township schools. I don't know many around here who would think all those schools are the same. Given how each school is tied up with the neighborhood that sends kids to the school, and that most of the schools in township are pretty similar, I think you would probably get more out of exploring the neighborhoods yourself and making a decision that way. Also, the cost difference between living in Township and Haddonfield (both in terms of property cost and property taxes) is dramatically different.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:43 AM

17 posts, read 25,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by withasigh View Post
I did my own research into this a while back and from talking with people, I generally though that Van Sciver was the best in Haddon Township, but that most of the others were close. But frankly, I think this all depends more on what you think makes for a good school (test scores, diversity, etc). I think the Niche and Great Schools sites are useful to find source data, but looking at their topline ranking is kind of useless to me. For example, Great Schools has two of the Haddonfield elementary schools as having the same ranking as most of the Haddon Township schools. I don't know many around here who would think all those schools are the same. Given how each school is tied up with the neighborhood that sends kids to the school, and that most of the schools in township are pretty similar, I think you would probably get more out of exploring the neighborhoods yourself and making a decision that way. Also, the cost difference between living in Township and Haddonfield (both in terms of property cost and property taxes) is dramatically different.

Thanks for that. How are you figuring out that Van Sciver is the best?
Any thoughts on Stoy Elementary? We have been looking at Haddonfield but eek the prices and property taxes....

Old 06-21-2019, 10:07 AM

122 posts, read 146,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melr76 View Post
Thanks for that. How are you figuring out that Van Sciver is the best?
Any thoughts on Stoy Elementary? We have been looking at Haddonfield but eek the prices and property taxes....
Can't say that I do have any thoughts about Stoy specifically. Honestly, I don't even recall all the specifics of how I researched it at the time, though I did talk to some teachers and some people I know who had kids in various schools. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia