Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:55 PM

9 posts, read 19,558 times

Advertisements

I hope to attend school in Philadelphia come Fall. However, I don't want to live in the Philadelphia area but was instead preferring to find an apartment in South/Central New Jersey so I could commute to class and still remain close to my current residence. Travel time from my current residence to Philadelphia is roughly 1:30, and I'd like to cut it down to <1 hr. Are there any good and safe (cheap a plus) areas in the Central/Southern NJ area which allow for a safe/good commute? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 08:52 PM

201 posts, read 1,012,537 times
What school are you going to. In South Jersey the High speedline aka PATCO goes to Philly. A round trip is no more than $4.90. You can transfer to other trains at 8th and market.

I think an average 1 bedroom is no less than $800 a month. In Collingswood maybe you can find and apt above an older home for less.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:10 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
Take Patco from South Jersey, there's a ton of apts or condos in the area with plenty to do. It's a great area to live. Collingswood, Westmont, Haddonfield are on the train line. Cherry Hill is also a good option. Areas in Burlington County - Mount Laurel or Marlton are most suitable for students or singles. Don't consider central NJ it is too far.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:51 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azul09 View Post
I hope to attend school in Philadelphia come Fall. However, I don't want to live in the Philadelphia area but was instead preferring to find an apartment in South/Central New Jersey so I could commute to class and still remain close to my current residence. Travel time from my current residence to Philadelphia is roughly 1:30, and I'd like to cut it down to <1 hr. Are there any good and safe (cheap a plus) areas in the Central/Southern NJ area which allow for a safe/good commute? Thank you.
What school, where in Phila? U might just want to get a home close to Palmyra/tacony bridge.. I would avoid camden county the traffic sucks and it's to expensive. The only camden county exception is Lindenwold area, u can rent there an apartment or part of a house.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:52 AM

I will be attending PCOM. I will look into the ones you've suggested, but I've been considering Trenton/Ewing/Hamilton so far - are those good choices?

Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I will be attending PCOM. I will look into the ones you've suggested, but I've been considering Trenton/Ewing/Hamilton so far - are those good choices?
Well in order to get to Philly from trenton area u will be taking I95 and during rush hour it SUCKS. It'll take over an hour easily lol. I know because I use to drive from trenton to phila when my mom was in hospital. and the other alternative is route 130, it has a million traffic lights

Old 04-16-2008, 07:58 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
Too far. I'd avoid Mercer County altogether. Some people do it but I don't recommend it. Burlington county is a much better location to get to Philly via the Patco. From Moorestown I can get to Woodcrest station in 10 minutes, Princeton is less than 30 minutes up 295. It's the ideal location.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 AM

Eh...South Jersey it is. I'll have to def. do some more research on this. Thanks for your input.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Eh...South Jersey it is. I'll have to def. do some more research on this. Thanks for your input.
Trenton/Hamilton sucks. if u are gonna study fulltime u definitely need to stay down here. It's hard enough traveling from here even. But renting is Expensive pretty much everywhere for a student so that's the only thing.. u might just want to roommate in philadelphia itself, southjersey can't compare to phila city life.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:47 PM

[SIZE=2]I will be studying FT, but most of the classes are in the evening so I was hoping that commuting wouldn't be a problem since I would (hopefully) not run into morning traffic most of the time if I decide to leave early. The cost of living in Philly will be higher compared to South Jersey which played a factor in my decision to stay in NJ, apart from some other reasons.

I'm really in a bind about this...blah
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia