U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 10:10 AM

15,460 posts, read 27,628,104 times

Advertisements

I find these historic records so very interesting. So much of south Jersey history seemed, to me, to be plowed under the soon-endless suburbs. I remember a Quaker cemetery and meetinghouse behind the now-former Olga's. I met a very old (90s) black man who lived on a property on Kresson Road and tended the family horses, and his family had always lived in that house. I saw his grave in the Quaker cemetery shortly after I met him. There was such a history before the suburbs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 06:53 PM

28,458 posts, read 27,237,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I find these historic records so very interesting. So much of south Jersey history seemed, to me, to be plowed under the soon-endless suburbs. I remember a Quaker cemetery and meetinghouse behind the now-former Olga's. I met a very old (90s) black man who lived on a property on Kresson Road and tended the family horses, and his family had always lived in that house. I saw his grave in the Quaker cemetery shortly after I met him. There was such a history before the suburbs.
That's Cropwell Meeting on Old Marlton Pike.

I wonder why Chesilhurst didn't have any notable BBQ. There may have been some, but nothing that stuck or became an institution, landmark.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:35 PM

977 posts, read 859,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

I wonder why Chesilhurst didn't have any notable BBQ. There may have been some, but nothing that stuck or became an institution, landmark.
More recently there was an excellent BBQ truck off of the White Horse Pike in Chesilhurst, called Brother Bear BBQ. They closed last year though, so they only ended up being open for maybe 2-3 years. Such a shame because that was serious quality food that was worthy of graduating from food truck to restaurant level.

Their biggest mistake probably was putting it in Chesilhurst though. Talk about a place feeling depressing and in the middle of nowhere.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:23 AM

I wonder if he's from there? I can't think of any other reason to choose that location.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:41 AM

15,460 posts, read 27,628,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Ah, yes, that's right. Is it still there? I won't be back in south Jersey.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Ah, yes, that's right. Is it still there? I won't be back in south Jersey.
Yes, it is. Medford, Springfield, and all of the others are still around. Some of the old farmhouses from the 1800s are. There's one in, I think, in the Woodstream development just west of Rt. 73.

I met a guy who moved to Marlton when the first development went in. He remembers cows crossing 70 because the farmer's barn was across the road from his pasture. Peach orchards lined 73.

This is on the Marlton United Methodist Church property. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8908...7i13312!8i6656

BBQ. My son went to Mission BBQ last week and said that their food was pretty good. They don't have greens. They can keep their green beans. If you don't have coleslaw, potato salad, mac & cheese, beans, cornbread, and greens, you're not a real BBQ place. Oh, and cold tea.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:42 PM

11 posts, read 13,136 times
S NJ is no longer a 'Q wasteland. Two locals I've visited a few times and enjoy:
Smoke BBQ - Audubon
Macona BBQ - Collingswood

And a little further out:
Henri's 'Hotts' Barbeque - Hammonton

Old 09-05-2019, 01:56 PM

73 posts, read 48,678 times
I moved to South Jersey in 1987 and all the BBQ places were along Evesham Road in Lawnside. None in Magnolia. One building still kind of stands and I can't remember which BBQ place it was, but we did eat there once. They had really good homemade potato salad, I remember. The building is a wreck and they need to demolish.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:58 PM

73 posts, read 48,678 times
Default Henri's Hotts

And a little further out:
Henri's 'Hotts' Barbeque - Hammonton

His wife Ruth just came into the nail salon where my daughter works to get her nails done. She is as sweet as they come. My first taste of their food came from her macaroni and cheese that she insisted I taste. It was so good.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:54 PM

128 posts, read 315,067 times
If you are willing to take the drive, Christine's House of Kingfish in Shamong is very good. https://www.facebook.com/Christines-...C-61300031171/

There used to be a place in Lawnside, I think it was called Snow Hill, but I believe its been gone for some time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or