U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-10-2019, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Pueblo West, CO
320 posts, read 308,097 times
Reputation: 362

Advertisements

When are you moving? 6 monthsish

Where are you coming from? NY to Ft Lauderdale to Groveland in Central Fl, to El Paso to Pueblo West in southern Colorado to Philly.

Why are you moving? Work

Where will you be working? downtown philly on chestnut st.

Have you been here yet? Yes on vacations.

Will you buy or rent? buy

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?
no preference

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Single, 0 kids

Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A

Do you have pets? 2 small dogs

Do you want or need a yard? Yes fenced

Are you keeping a car? Yes want garage

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
suburban family feel, parks walking trails, etc.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work- preferably, downtown job. will drive

Shopping- Costco!

Nightlife- Local bars are fun.

Train or subway stations- I will drive but from NY originally. very comfortable with mass transit.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I am white. Not scared of other people. Lived in El Paso tx..... where I was a minority and it is a great place to live.

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water? craft beer


Looking to drive 30 mins or less to downtown philly for work. Not scared of trains. What neighborhood can I walk around in and get a house for 300Kish. Need a yard for the dogs. Looking for a newer house. 1990 to present? Like to walk on walking trails.


Also, what are the city and state income taxes like? I read about 3 and 3 percent in PA. I will get hit on city tax. That is better than delaware 6.6 I would pay. What is NJ going to cost me? But it seems the property tax is going to even all that out.

Where should I be looking?

Thank you for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2019, 12:51 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,506 posts, read 29,355,255 times
Reputation: 9916
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolish1 View Post
When are you moving? 6 monthsish

Where are you coming from? NY to Ft Lauderdale to Groveland in Central Fl, to El Paso to Pueblo West in southern Colorado to Philly.

Why are you moving? Work

Where will you be working? downtown philly on chestnut st.

Have you been here yet? Yes on vacations.

Will you buy or rent? buy

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?
no preference

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Single, 0 kids

Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A

Do you have pets? 2 small dogs

Do you want or need a yard? Yes fenced

Are you keeping a car? Yes want garage

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
suburban family feel, parks walking trails, etc.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work- preferably, downtown job. will drive

Shopping- Costco!

Nightlife- Local bars are fun.

Train or subway stations- I will drive but from NY originally. very comfortable with mass transit.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I am white. Not scared of other people. Lived in El Paso tx..... where I was a minority and it is a great place to live.

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water? craft beer


Looking to drive 30 mins or less to downtown philly for work. Not scared of trains. What neighborhood can I walk around in and get a house for 300Kish. Need a yard for the dogs. Looking for a newer house. 1990 to present? Like to walk on walking trails.


Also, what are the city and state income taxes like? I read about 3 and 3 percent in PA. I will get hit on city tax. That is better than delaware 6.6 I would pay. What is NJ going to cost me? But it seems the property tax is going to even all that out.

Where should I be looking?

Thank you for your help.
NJ allows you to credit the city wage tax towards what you owe on the NJ state income tax.

Property tax varies by municipality.

Look for something with proximity to the PATCO line.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2019, 12:59 PM
 
29,659 posts, read 20,478,466 times
Reputation: 51433
Collingswood might be good. They have a very cute downtown and you can walk to Patco station. I would suggest renting at first though until you see if you like any area enough to stay there 10 years or more.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2019, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Pueblo West, CO
320 posts, read 308,097 times
Reputation: 362
I'm just staring down a 9-11k property tax bill saying whaaaatttt?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2019, 09:22 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,506 posts, read 29,355,255 times
Reputation: 9916
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolish1 View Post
I'm just staring down a 9-11k property tax bill saying whaaaatttt?
It all depends on the house and the property tax rate by town.

Also keep in mind that the city wage tax is credited toward the state income tax.

Work out the total taxation in Pennsylvania vs NJ. It's not as big a difference as some posters on the Philadelphia board will try to tell you. You have to work the numbers to figure out which location works best for you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2019, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
28,419 posts, read 27,191,570 times
Reputation: 35602
Southern New Jersey, 30 minutes to Philly, newer house, and walkable town don't compute. The area is very suburban, and the only things that have been built in recent years - as far as I know - are apartment (condo) buildings and townhouses. Haddonfield (expensive) and Collingswood are the only two towns in that area where you can walk to quite a few businesses. They're both dry towns. There are bars not far away, but you'll probably have to have to drive or hire.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2019, 09:03 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,506 posts, read 29,355,255 times
Reputation: 9916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Southern New Jersey, 30 minutes to Philly, newer house, and walkable town don't compute. The area is very suburban, and the only things that have been built in recent years - as far as I know - are apartment (condo) buildings and townhouses. Haddonfield (expensive) and Collingswood are the only two towns in that area where you can walk to quite a few businesses. They're both dry towns. There are bars not far away, but you'll probably have to have to drive or hire.
I used to live in the Kingsway Village neighborhood of Cherry Hill. It wasn't anything fancy, but during the real estate bubble, people were coming in and tearing down houses and building larger ones. I occasionally walked to the Haddonfield PATCO station or walked into Haddonfield to shop.

The roughly 15 minute train ride from Haddonfield, Westmont, and Collingswood to Center City beats the SEPTA trains from the Pennsylvania suburbs and it's 24/7.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2019, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
28,419 posts, read 27,191,570 times
Reputation: 35602
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I used to live in the Kingsway Village neighborhood of Cherry Hill. It wasn't anything fancy, but during the real estate bubble, people were coming in and tearing down houses and building larger ones. I occasionally walked to the Haddonfield PATCO station or walked into Haddonfield to shop.

The roughly 15 minute train ride from Haddonfield, Westmont, and Collingswood to Center City beats the SEPTA trains from the Pennsylvania suburbs and it's 24/7.
You're preaching to the choir. You can have access to all sorts of shopping and excellent restaurants in that area, but the beaches and big piney woods were a bigger draw for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top