Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2019, 01:48 PM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times

Advertisements

Quick and simple reason why South Jersey/Philly in underdeveloped is that their are no industries there. There are 12 Fortune 500 companies between Philadelphia and South Jersey, which isn't much. North Jersey alone has 20 Fortune 500 Companies excluding NYC, which is crazy to think that part of NJ has more than the 6th largest city in the Country.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 02:42 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,193,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Quick and simple reason why South Jersey/Philly in underdeveloped is that their are no industries there. There are 12 Fortune 500 companies between Philadelphia and South Jersey, which isn't much. North Jersey alone has 20 Fortune 500 Companies excluding NYC, which is crazy to think that part of NJ has more than the 6th largest city in the Country.

IMO, in essence the northern half of the state is where it's at.

I'm in South Jersey a little outside of Philly, "it's hickland" (in some parts) in comparison to the NYC market area of NJ which where I lived for 50.5 years.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:49 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, I'm aware. But he said between Paterson and Jersey City as if there's no development between those two cities, which is just untrue and frankly a bizarre thing to say.

The Meadowlands IS the marshlands, the end of the Hackensack River. Way too much of it has been filled in and developed, destroying wildlife. Giant's Stadium/Meadowlands Sports Complex, hello? Secaucus/Harmon Cove? Some has been preserved, though it was almost too late before that was done.

I guess being from northern New Jersey, the misperception is a little shocking to me. Oh well. I suppose I don't know as much as I should about the wetlands in South Jersey, either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Meadowlands
I noticed that it's all in the Hackensack River area.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:13 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,437,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, I'm aware. But he said between Paterson and Jersey City as if there's no development between those two cities, which is just untrue and frankly a bizarre thing to say.

The Meadowlands IS the marshlands, the end of the Hackensack River. Way too much of it has been filled in and developed, destroying wildlife. Giant's Stadium/Meadowlands Sports Complex, hello? Secaucus/Harmon Cove? Some has been preserved, though it was almost too late before that was done.

I guess being from northern New Jersey, the misperception is a little shocking to me. Oh well. I suppose I don't know as much as I should about the wetlands in South Jersey, either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Meadowlands
You are mis understanding.
There is a lot of wetlands and marshlands between JC/Hoboken and Newark/Patterson, you have a lot of open, undeveloped meadows between the two urban areas.
My point was, I guess that SJ is so relatively undeveloped especially east of the NJTP is due to wetlands; the same reason why there is a 'gap' of sprawl between JC and Newark, except this is on a much larger scale to encompass most of SJ.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:37 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
You are mis understanding.
There is a lot of wetlands and marshlands between JC/Hoboken and Newark/Patterson, you have a lot of open, undeveloped meadows between the two urban areas.
My point was, I guess that SJ is so relatively undeveloped especially east of the NJTP is due to wetlands; the same reason why there is a 'gap' of sprawl between JC and Newark, except this is on a much larger scale to encompass most of SJ.
OK, that point was not clear to me from your post. That is true. As you probably know, when someone builds on wetlands, they must replace/preserve an equal amount or greater of wetlands in another part of the state. I think a lot of South Jersey wetlands are protected because of what was taken and developed in the Meadowlands before programs like the Riverkeeper came along to protect them.

https://www.hackensackriverkeeper.org/

I also wouldn't call Newark/Paterson its own urban area. They are miles apart and two completely different cities.

Lastly, Mr. William Paterson, signer of the Constitution, for whom the city is named, spelled his name with only one "t".

The northern part of the NJTP is elevated and runs over a part of the Meadowlands. It is amazing how much of it survives despite decades of abuse. One evening I was in my car crawling slowly on the NJTP spur over a section of the Meadowlands Manhattan to the east, industrial messes visible nearby, and just in front and above me flew a great blue heron. It was a beautiful sight. They hang on despite our best efforts to destroy their habitat.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:23 AM

I didn't know that about New Jersey wetlands.

While preservation is necessary, this article causes me to feel sad.

https://www.nj.com/salem/2017/11/dis...ng_cabins.html

Old 12-11-2019, 02:27 PM

73 posts, read 80,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I didn't know that about New Jersey wetlands.

While preservation is necessary, this article causes me to feel sad.

https://www.nj.com/salem/2017/11/dis...ng_cabins.html
We've been down that way a few times. My guy is an artist and loves to paint in areas like that.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriet1954 View Post
We've been down that way a few times. My guy is an artist and loves to paint in areas like that.
Eakins used to do that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rds_Eakins.jpg

Old 12-11-2019, 05:53 PM

1,837 posts, read 675,831 times
I don't think North Jersey's industry is strong like say Research Triangle. It seems like a lot of population density and housing, and naturally stronger or more developed than South Jersey, but also similar commuting and work outside the state and punching below one's weight.

If it was stronger, I don't think Southwest would have pulled out of Newark. It kind of signaled that business travelers in it's large domestic network that are willing to pay high fares weren't using Newark enough, or paying the high fares into Newark.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:19 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,525 times
South Jersey in mostly the Pinelands Reserve. Everything East of the Parkway is mostly tourism driven. The Train stops in Bayville so there is no public transportation to anything.

Everything else is a suburb of Phili or NYC in Northern and Central NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia