U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 10:41 PM

6,156 posts, read 3,978,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Ahhhh, I see! Never had one, and been in Jersey my whole life!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 03:29 PM

15,956 posts, read 19,234,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
News 12 is broadcast for viewers who live in the New York/North Jersey TV market. Areas in Central Jersey like Mercer and Ocean county are able to watch News 12 but News 12 does not broadcast in South Jersey because it is too far south in the Philadelphia TV market.

Even if South Jersey was able to receive News 12, there wouldn't be any attention given to the lower half of the state so News 12 wouldn't get high viewership down here anyway.
This is all true, but I still have to wonder whether the OP's cable system has a "search" feature on its menu.

Whenever I want to find out if an obscure channel is available on FiOs, I use the search feature, and within seconds I can determine if I have access to that channel on FiOs. Wouldn't it be easier and quicker for the OP to do likewise with his (unknown) cable TV system?

Old 04-12-2020, 04:55 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,303,428 times
South Jersey gets Philadelphia tv stations. Channel 12 has been PBS WHYY from Philly for many years. 12.2 is PBS self help programs and 12.3 is children's PBS shows.

If News 12 came to SJ it have to be would jave to be News 12.4 or some other channel number. Who knows if they even want to expand their coverage area.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:59 PM

23,519 posts, read 29,381,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
South Jersey gets Philadelphia tv stations. Channel 12 has been PBS WHYY from Philly for many years. 12.2 is PBS self help programs and 12.3 is children's PBS shows.

If News 12 came to SJ it have to be would jave to be News 12.4 or some other channel number. Who knows if they even want to expand their coverage area.
Don't forget, WHYY is licensed to Wilmington, DE

Old 04-13-2020, 12:05 AM

23,519 posts, read 29,381,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
if there can be a compromise on the state sandwich, then there can be a compromise between north and south.
You apparently don't remember when South Jersey tried to secede and form a 51st state, in 1980.

NJ was 2 colonies until the British made it one, then they divided it into East Jersey and West Jersey.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:28 PM

THis is why we need NJTV. Make it a station based in mythical central NJ to unite the state and form a more perfect union. All need direct rail service to AC from north jersey using the coast line.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:38 PM

20,094 posts, read 21,986,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Ahhhh, I see! Never had one, and been in Jersey my whole life!
Now you’re going to tell us you’ve never had Take-a-Boost...

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news...-20170915.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kV5TcpvRPy0

Old 04-19-2020, 07:29 PM

719 posts, read 132,744 times
Interestingly, last year, WACP 4 did simulcast carry News 12 NJ between 6am-9am.
https://www.alticeusa.com/news/artic...got-more-local

When I check WACP's schedule now, it shows Paid Programming during the weekday mornings, so the arrangement must have ended. The rest of WACP's schedule is all paid programming; it's not a channel worth its bandwidth it takes on Comcast and Fios.

As per News 12 newscast in South Jersey, at least in those hours (6am-9am), it's hard to compete against Today, GMA and local Philly station news that adequately cover the area.

I suppose Verizon Fios could pick News 12 for South Jersey. The owners, Altice, would have to make it free (in the South Jersey market) for Verizon for Verizon to consider it, and even then, Verizon might not carry it.

Really, I wish Verizon Fios would pick up WDPN Decades. Comcast carries it throughout the Philly region, but Fios refuses to carry this subchannel.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:58 PM

29,882 posts, read 20,523,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
Interestingly, last year, WACP 4 did simulcast carry News 12 NJ between 6am-9am.
https://www.alticeusa.com/news/artic...got-more-local

When I check WACP's schedule now, it shows Paid Programming during the weekday mornings, so the arrangement must have ended. The rest of WACP's schedule is all paid programming; it's not a channel worth its bandwidth it takes on Comcast and Fios.

As per News 12 newscast in South Jersey, at least in those hours (6am-9am), it's hard to compete against Today, GMA and local Philly station news that adequately cover the area.

I suppose Verizon Fios could pick News 12 for South Jersey. The owners, Altice, would have to make it free (in the South Jersey market) for Verizon for Verizon to consider it, and even then, Verizon might not carry it.

Really, I wish Verizon Fios would pick up WDPN Decades. Comcast carries it throughout the Philly region, but Fios refuses to carry this subchannel.
It’s most likely not Verizon. We at the south Jersey shore had our own local channel, which was great because our weather was often very different than Philly, and Philly stations rarely covered other local news unless there was a shooting in Atlantic City. On Friday nights they showed local high school football games.

But we lost it, not because Comcast dropped it, but because some behemoth like Sinclair Broadcasting bought the bandwidth. Now it’s all infomercials and a couple of religious shows. I remember the last broadcast of the local news team, they were all crying and talking about their time there and how much they loved it (they sure weren’t working there for the money). It is sad to me. Big conglomerates are doing this all over the country not just in TV but radio too. There used to be regulations about how many they could buy and how big they could get, but they have been loosened considerably in recent years.

It is to all our detriment. It was local radio, a.m. stations, that got us through Sandy and told us what was going on both during and in the days after, what roads were passable, what towns were blocked off, what gas stations were open, etc. it is going to be a sad day when eventually it is just Sirius stations and no local stations are left.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-19-2020 at 08:07 PM..

Old 04-20-2020, 10:29 AM

they is why we need to create NJTV. To unite the state, through media, passenger rail, and egg sandwiches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia