U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 05:30 PM

23,519 posts, read 29,381,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
they is why we need to create NJTV. To unite the state, through media, passenger rail, and egg sandwiches
People in South Jersey don't give a rip about New York, for the most part. NJ public television had the only statewide newscast. It skewed heavily towards North Jersey. Your news being carried in South Jersey is an idea that's going nowhere fast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 01:30 PM

719 posts, read 132,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s most likely not Verizon. We at the south Jersey shore had our own local channel, which was great because our weather was often very different than Philly, and Philly stations rarely covered other local news unless there was a shooting in Atlantic City. On Friday nights they showed local high school football games.

But we lost it, not because Comcast dropped it, but because some behemoth like Sinclair Broadcasting bought the bandwidth. Now it’s all infomercials and a couple of religious shows. I remember the last broadcast of the local news team, they were all crying and talking about their time there and how much they loved it (they sure weren’t working there for the money). It is sad to me. Big conglomerates are doing this all over the country not just in TV but radio too. There used to be regulations about how many they could buy and how big they could get, but they have been loosened considerably in recent years.

It is to all our detriment. It was local radio, a.m. stations, that got us through Sandy and told us what was going on both during and in the days after, what roads were passable, what towns were blocked off, what gas stations were open, etc. it is going to be a sad day when eventually it is just Sirius stations and no local stations are left.
WMGM-TV from the Jersey Shore had a long NBC affiliation and had local newscasts (6 & 11pm) and maybe a few more in the end. NBC post Comcast purchase decided to end the NBC affiliation with WMGM, and WHAG in Hagerstown, Maryland as it owned the WCAU and WRC (Washington DC) stations in the same DMA.

When the NBC affiliation ended on WMGM, the station owner (Access.1) decided to drop the local newscasts as well.

A few years later, SNJ Today, launched on WACP. A couple months into the broadcast, SNJ Today hired Michelle Dawn Mooney, who was the last lead anchor of the former WMGM NBC 40 newscast. I liked this newscast and it was available throughout all of South Jersey. It aired at 7pm and would re-run later in the evening. It covered even western South NJ news like the news of the Haddon Township mini Target opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUZK3DxIETY

However, the newscast was surrounded by informercials on WACP, a low watched channel, and the newscast wasn't advertised well. The low VHF signal is also difficult to receive for using indoor antennas over Comcast or Fios.

Unfortunately, the newscast didn't last, but SNJ Today still has news via its website:
https://snjtoday.com/

After that ended- and some months later, the last news related thing that happened was WACP made an arrangement with News 12 NJ, and News 12 NJ morning hours were broadcast from 6am-9am. News 12 NJ is based in Edison, NJ. The News 12 channels were originally developed by Cablevision, which was a major cable operator in the New York area and parts of Northern/Central NJ. My relatives lives in Edison. It's not a Comcast controlled area, but I've known about the News12 channel from my visits up there.

Right now, the strange one is WPHL 17. In the morning, it has its own produced newscast, but at 10pm, it's Action News from WPVI. I wonder who actually watches PHL 17 Morning News over WTXF Good Day Philadelphia, or the national shows on CBS NBC and ABC with the local news inserts. As of September of last year, WPHL 17 is now owned by Nexstar Broadcasting.

Last edited by g555; 04-21-2020 at 02:05 PM..

Old 04-21-2020, 02:07 PM

So, I called WACP TV about News 12.

The station engineer I spoke with said News 12 still airs 6-9am every weekday morning on WACP.

Oddly the program guides that I see online show paid programming. I suppose that I will have to actually tune in once to verify. But in any event, it is such low exposure.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:09 PM

29,882 posts, read 20,523,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
WMGM-TV from the Jersey Shore had a long NBC affiliation and had local newscasts (6 & 11pm) and maybe a few more in the end. NBC post Comcast purchase decided to end the NBC affiliation with WMGM, and WHAG in Hagerstown, Maryland as it owned the WCAU and WRC (Washington DC) stations in the same DMA.

When the NBC affiliation ended on WMGM, the station owner (Access.1) decided to drop the local newscasts as well.

A few years later, SNJ Today, launched on WACP. A couple months into the broadcast, SNJ Today hired Michelle Dawn Mooney, who was the last lead anchor of the former WMGM NBC 40 newscast. I liked this newscast and it was available throughout all of South Jersey. It aired at 7pm and would re-run later in the evening. It covered even western South NJ news like the news of the Haddon Township mini Target opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUZK3DxIETY

However, the newscast was surrounded by informercials on WACP, a low watched channel, and the newscast wasn't advertised well. The low VHF signal is also difficult to receive for using indoor antennas over Comcast or Fios.

Unfortunately, the newscast didn't last, but SNJ Today still has news via its website:
https://snjtoday.com/

After that ended- and some months later, the last news related thing that happened was WACP made an arrangement with News 12 NJ, and News 12 NJ morning hours were broadcast from 6am-9am. News 12 NJ is based in Edison, NJ. The News 12 channels were originally developed by Cablevision, which was a major cable operator in the New York area and parts of Northern/Central NJ. My relatives lives in Edison. It's not a Comcast controlled area, but I've known about the News12 channel from my visits up there.

Right now, the strange one is WPHL 17. In the morning, it has its own produced newscast, but at 10pm, it's Action News from WPVI. I wonder who actually watches PHL 17 Morning News over WTXF Good Day Philadelphia, or the national shows on CBS NBC and ABC with the local news inserts. As of September of last year, WPHL 17 is now owned by Nexstar Broadcasting.

I didn't even know it came back! Yes, I guess it was poorly advertised! It was such a shame, it was such a nice thing. They would even cover local sports like girl's field hockey and the lifeguard competitions, which was nice to give recognition to the kids. Big stations can't do any of that.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:35 PM

I liked SNJ Today, and I liked the anchor, Michelle D. Mooney. The 7pm timeslot was good too- as it didn't directly compete with the Philly stations news and 6:30pm network news. But, I wondered about its viability and not surprised. WACP and WMCN unfortunately are ridden with infomercials and neither provide platform to put a live specialized newscast in between.

WLVT PBS 39 has a half hour daily news for the Lehigh Valley.
https://www.wlvt.org/reportercorps/pbs39-news-tonight/

SNJ Today was very much like that, just different region. WNJS 23 would be a suitable platform, but it probably can't deviate from the NJTV schedule, plus it's operated out of North Jersey.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:20 PM

6,156 posts, read 3,978,833 times
but there currently is no NJTV

Old 04-24-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
but there currently is no NJTV
There is NJTV. It's carried on Comcast, Verizon Fios and YouTube TV and one can likely receive it over the air:

https://www.njtvonline.org/schedule/

Old 05-05-2020, 07:23 PM

From my viewing today, I actually taped and tuned into NJTV. What's strange is the show MetroFocus that airs on NJTV at 5:30pm is a show that is entirely focused on the NY counties (of the NYC region) and NYC. It's not even for North Jersey.

https://www.thirteen.org/metrofocus/

But it occupies somewhat prime air time on NJTV, and on WNJS The S is WNJS is supposed to stand for South Jersey. I did catch the NJTV news today which followed, and it wasn't all that bad- most was statewide related coverage of Covid. It used a clip from the superintendent in Hamilton Township in Atlantic County:
https://www.njtvonline.org/news/vide...chools-closed/

At the end of the broadcast, it had a schedule of shows for channels a viewer in South Jersey can't receive - WNET, WLIW and the digital subchannels of those stations, including PBS Create.

On that note, PBS Create is available through Lehigh Valley's WLVT which isn't easy to receive over the air in South Jersey but on Comcast's Cherry Hill lineup and Verizon Fios, but not on the cable systems in Gloucester or Atlantic County.

Last edited by g555; 05-05-2020 at 07:31 PM..

Old 07-22-2020, 02:42 PM

12 posts, read 5,557 times
News 12 has been reporting traffic conditions in Cape May, Atlantic and Camden counties, so some cable systems must be carrying it. Fios also started carrying News 12 when it ended its FiOS1 news channel last year. It used to be a Cablevision-only channel.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:32 PM

183 posts, read 170,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Nope. Eagles in the south and Giants up north, there can be no unity!
I heard there are also some Jets fans somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia