U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 04:32 PM

12,555 posts, read 9,730,145 times

Advertisements

I'm expecting a job offer. My home office would be at the ARC in Trenton.

I'm considering base housing at JBMDL. I love the area and have volunteered at a horse rescue nearby.
The base offers some great amenities which I'm entitled to use.

Housing cost includes gas, electric, trash, grounds maintenance. Also pet friendly.

There may be days I'll work at the Joint Base.

Other days I may travel from home to other locations.

Some teleworking is allowed.

I'll have a flexible schedule so I could commute early in the morning.
Is this a feasible commute?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 02:51 PM

Spoke with base housing today. Apparently it's quite doable. Yay!

Old 04-24-2020, 11:40 AM

61 posts, read 312,078 times
Default Yes, easy commute

Yes, it's a pretty easy commute.
When we lived on base we used to have to take our son to Trenton daily for a bit every summer. We drove there and back in the morning and again in the afternoon and it was never too bad. Worst days it was about 30 minutes.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:52 AM

Default Horses...

You didn't say how long you expect to be here, or if you're bringing horses, but if it's for a few years then you might consider buying a place instead, (or even renting a place with property -- there are some). It's still pretty rural around the base. You could get a house with a few acres around here for about the same price as base housing rent.

There are also a few places around here that offer "primitive" boarding, (just pasture, water, and turnout sheds - you provide everything else and do all the work) in case you want to live on base AND have horses!

Old 04-25-2020, 08:27 PM

Thanks Farmer!

I'd love to be able to have my horse with me. I miss him. He's in Kentucky.

The rescue there would give me all the horse time I could ever want.

I'd only be there a few years probably.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:55 PM

Does anyone know whether the McGuire Dix housing is better than the Lakehurst housing?

Old 04-29-2020, 12:01 AM

28,396 posts, read 27,181,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Does anyone know whether the McGuire Dix housing is better than the Lakehurst housing?
I didn't know that Lakehurst had housing, but I've never had to think about that. I'll bet McGuire Dix because they have a larger presence there.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I didn't know that Lakehurst had housing, but I've never had to think about that. I'll bet McGuire Dix because they have a larger presence there.
Says a lot.

Stepping back to see the big picture we all know AF has the best facilities.

I might make a trip back there before deciding.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:52 AM

Default Commute time...

Commute time would be further from Lakehurst.

AF vs Army housing rule of thumb doesn't apply quite as much here because it's a joint base and the same civilian contractor runs both, (United Communities).

McGuire does have much more newer housing though and that seems much better, but they still have some older ones too. If they're trying to put you in the older stuff, you may like Ft Dix better.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerkd1 View Post
Commute time would be further from Lakehurst.

AF vs Army housing rule of thumb doesn't apply quite as much here because it's a joint base and the same civilian contractor runs both, (United Communities).

McGuire does have much more newer housing though and that seems much better, but they still have some older ones too. If they're trying to put you in the older stuff, you may like Ft Dix better.
Lakehurst is a different contractor. You probably know that.

Then there's the subject of location. Where I am now my neighbor is pretty much psycho. Of course I'm not on base but that doesn't always matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia