U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2020, 08:47 AM

12 posts, read 4,854 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

I've been doing lots of research but can't seem to find exactly the information I'm searching for so I decided to start a new thread...

My family and I are looking to relocate to South NJ from Brooklyn, NY. We've narrowed it down to Swedesboro, Mount Laurel, Voorhees, Berlin Boro but are unsure if we should be looking into any additional towns OR if any we ARE looking at isn't a right fit.

We are looking to purchase either a townhouse or single family home with a budget of $250k, 3 bed/2bath with taxes under $7k if possible. We have a child on the autism spectrum (high functioning) who will be starting HS in this new town. She currently has an IEP that mandates a 12:1 class with a 1:1 paraprofessional and speech therapy 3x a week which is provided at the school. We also have a "typical" 2nd grader, so elementary and middle schools are still of importance. We want a town that is family friendly with lots of activities for not only children but young adults (so that when the kids get older they don't feel the venture out too far to be entertained.)

As mentioned above, I've kind of narrowed it down to those few towns, however, I would like more options. The more the better

Thank you in advance for your time and input. I appreciate all the information I've gotten from this site thus far and look forward to new information.

Best!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 09:37 AM

977 posts, read 859,892 times
Adding my previous reply here as well for visibility in case others want to chime in or respond:

Berlin Boro is a few steps down in income and school quality. It’s a blue collar town. Some may say there is a certain “white trash” element. The high schoolers go to Eastern, which is mostly Voorhees students and a good high school. If you only had the high school student to deal with, I would say Berlin provides a great value, but since you have a younger student as well, I would not choose Berlin.

Swedesboro itself is also not so wealthy, but all schools K-12 are combined with Woolwich Township which is almost at a Voorhees level and completely surrounds Swedesboro, which is a “donut hole” town. In the end, it averages out such that you are a little better off than Berlin, but not as good as Voorhees and Mount Laurel.

Voorhees and Berlin are in Camden County. A $250k house there will not be $7k in taxes...more like $8.5k. Mount Laurel is Burlington County, will be around $6.7k. Swedesboro is Gloucester County...$7.7k. $250k will go further in Berlin and Swedesboro for the reasons outlined above, and it will also go further in Swedesboro because it is further from Philly and kind of middle of nowhere-ish.

I would try to find something in the Voorhees and Mount Laurel tier of quality, if you can. For a 3 bed, 2 bath, I do think there will be some options for your budget. Nothing fancy or upscale though. Use those tax estimates as rough guides when considering other towns in these counties, of which similar towns to Voorhees and Mount Laurel that you should consider include:

Camden County- Cherry Hill, Haddon Heights
Burlington County- Evesham Twp (aka Marlton), Shamong, Tabernacle
Gloucester County- Harrison Twp (aka Mullica Hill), Wenonah

Shamong and Tabernacle are more remote and rural towns but pretty well off with good schools, while the other towns feel like they are more in “civilization” with Harrison and Wenonah definitely feeling like “small towns”, while the others are more built up and bustling. Cherry Hill, Evesham, and Mount Laurel are like “suburbs on steroids.” Voorhees a little less so, while Haddon Heights is more an inner ring, older, denser suburb with a small downtown area.

You can’t go wrong with any of these towns from a schools perspective. Voorhees, Cherry Hill, Haddon Heights, Evesham, Mount Laurel, and Harrison do well enough with kids activities, but none of these towns are particularly appealing to young adults and do not excel in mature things to do. There are some movie theaters and malls in Voorhees (the mall in Voorhees is a dead mall though), Cherry Hill, and Evesham. Mount Laurel has Top Golf. If you are more outdoorsy, the Pine Barrens are nearby. Shamong is right smack in the middle of them. Other than that, these are pretty boring and generic suburbs. For entertainment, you are going to Philadelphia, or Collingswood, Haddon Township, and Haddonfield for more community-oriented, downtown experiences.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:39 AM

Thanks again

Old 06-04-2020, 11:59 PM

23,516 posts, read 29,372,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Adding my previous reply here as well for visibility in case others want to chime in or respond:

Berlin Boro is a few steps down in income and school quality. It’s a blue collar town. Some may say there is a certain “white trash” element. The high schoolers go to Eastern, which is mostly Voorhees students and a good high school. If you only had the high school student to deal with, I would say Berlin provides a great value, but since you have a younger student as well, I would not choose Berlin.

Swedesboro itself is also not so wealthy, but all schools K-12 are combined with Woolwich Township which is almost at a Voorhees level and completely surrounds Swedesboro, which is a “donut hole” town. In the end, it averages out such that you are a little better off than Berlin, but not as good as Voorhees and Mount Laurel.

Voorhees and Berlin are in Camden County. A $250k house there will not be $7k in taxes...more like $8.5k. Mount Laurel is Burlington County, will be around $6.7k. Swedesboro is Gloucester County...$7.7k. $250k will go further in Berlin and Swedesboro for the reasons outlined above, and it will also go further in Swedesboro because it is further from Philly and kind of middle of nowhere-ish.

I would try to find something in the Voorhees and Mount Laurel tier of quality, if you can. For a 3 bed, 2 bath, I do think there will be some options for your budget. Nothing fancy or upscale though. Use those tax estimates as rough guides when considering other towns in these counties, of which similar towns to Voorhees and Mount Laurel that you should consider include:

Camden County- Cherry Hill, Haddon Heights
Burlington County- Evesham Twp (aka Marlton), Shamong, Tabernacle
Gloucester County- Harrison Twp (aka Mullica Hill), Wenonah

Shamong and Tabernacle are more remote and rural towns but pretty well off with good schools, while the other towns feel like they are more in “civilization” with Harrison and Wenonah definitely feeling like “small towns”, while the others are more built up and bustling. Cherry Hill, Evesham, and Mount Laurel are like “suburbs on steroids.” Voorhees a little less so, while Haddon Heights is more an inner ring, older, denser suburb with a small downtown area.

You can’t go wrong with any of these towns from a schools perspective. Voorhees, Cherry Hill, Haddon Heights, Evesham, Mount Laurel, and Harrison do well enough with kids activities, but none of these towns are particularly appealing to young adults and do not excel in mature things to do. There are some movie theaters and malls in Voorhees (the mall in Voorhees is a dead mall though), Cherry Hill, and Evesham. Mount Laurel has Top Golf. If you are more outdoorsy, the Pine Barrens are nearby. Shamong is right smack in the middle of them. Other than that, these are pretty boring and generic suburbs. For entertainment, you are going to Philadelphia, or Collingswood, Haddon Township, and Haddonfield for more community-oriented, downtown experiences.
Barrington has decent schools and sends the kids to Haddon Heights for high school.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:52 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,381,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ang00 View Post
Hello there,

I've been doing lots of research but can't seem to find exactly the information I'm searching for so I decided to start a new thread...

My family and I are looking to relocate to South NJ from Brooklyn, NY. We've narrowed it down to Swedesboro, Mount Laurel, Voorhees, Berlin Boro but are unsure if we should be looking into any additional towns OR if any we ARE looking at isn't a right fit.

We are looking to purchase either a townhouse or single family home with a budget of $250k, 3 bed/2bath with taxes under $7k if possible. We have a child on the autism spectrum (high functioning) who will be starting HS in this new town. She currently has an IEP that mandates a 12:1 class with a 1:1 paraprofessional and speech therapy 3x a week which is provided at the school. We also have a "typical" 2nd grader, so elementary and middle schools are still of importance. We want a town that is family friendly with lots of activities for not only children but young adults (so that when the kids get older they don't feel the venture out too far to be entertained.)

As mentioned above, I've kind of narrowed it down to those few towns, however, I would like more options. The more the better

Thank you in advance for your time and input. I appreciate all the information I've gotten from this site thus far and look forward to new information.

Best!
Do you qualify for affordable housing?
$82,474 for a family of 4
There is a foreclosed townhouse in Princeton which could only be sold to income-qualified family.
$137K for 3 bedroom/2 bath
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...64523184_zpid/

Old 06-08-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
Do you qualify for affordable housing?
$82,474 for a family of 4
There is a foreclosed townhouse in Princeton which could only be sold to income-qualified family.
$137K for 3 bedroom/2 bath
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...64523184_zpid/

Thank you for your response. We actually have decided to look for a single family home for a number of reasons, HOA fees being one of them. Also, I personally wouldn’t want a foreclosed home. I just feel so bad that a family was there before me and I don’t want to feel like I’m benefiting off of their failure if that makes any sense. I appreciate your response! We’re actually looking more into Burlington County after seeing their taxes significantly lower than Camden and Gloucester Counties.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:52 AM

I understand about wanting a single family home.
However, many of the newer single family homes may have HOA fees as well.
Though it may not be much. Here in my subdivision it is about $50/month.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:55 AM

3,677 posts, read 1,500,430 times
Howell NJ has everything on your wish list. Here is a typical example. You can get a house like this for less than asking price. Taxes are $4600. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-41117?view=qv
Here's another smaller house on a bigger lot about a mile away. Taxes are $4400.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-62498?view=qv

Last edited by bobspez; 06-08-2020 at 10:06 AM..

Old 06-08-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
I understand about wanting a single family home.
However, many of the newer single family homes may have HOA fees as well.
Though it may not be much. Here in my subdivision it is about $50/month.
That’s not bad at all. I just don’t want pay a HOA fee that’s half of the amount of the property tax

Old 06-08-2020, 09:58 AM

If you avoid a community with a clubhouse and pool and other extras, the HOA fees should be low.

Good luck with your home search. It can be a lot of work especially if you are not familiar with the area.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or