Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,088 times

Advertisements

My wife (White, College educated, medical professional, mid 40s), my son (mixed race, scholar-athlete-gamer 11), and I (White, college educated, teacher, mid 40s) may be moving to some place in Burlington county around Medford (we think) within next year.

I am a teacher and the majority of my work search is in and around Camden County, lower Burlco area. My wife will be working full time from home, my son who has medical issues will be doing at least the next year of school from home until Covid has a vaccine (school district is not a major concern for us at this point).

We are currently in suburban/farm area in the Midwest but we formerly lived in Cherry Hill for a short period. We moved out here to take care of family and we are heading back to NJ now to settle in for a while. We are more south jersey kind of people. We have two mutts who love to lay in the yard and do nothing.

Cherry Hill was okay, we were on the West side, had good neighbors but the keeping up with the joneses, traffic, wall to wall shopping centers and overdevelopment was a strain on all of us. My son being part AA and White had some difficulties because he doesn’t exactly fit in one group and some kids always wanted him to be more or less of “whatever.” He is just a good kid, very studious, knowledgeable and is more of a homebody who plays sports, plays video games and reads all the time.

We have been out in the more rural/suburban sections of Burlco to visit friends and attend sporting events but we are not experts. We’re looking for an area where we fit, there may be more people like us (moderate political, not in any ones face). Where you could buy a decent home with basement and/or rec room, not in a congested suburb. We want some trees and perhaps 1/4 acre of land around us not stuck in the middle of a crowded block. I’ll also need to drive to Camden county or lower Burlco for work. We are looking around $350k give or take. We don’t need a farm or isolation but an undeveloped side of the house to look out might be nice.
When Covid is under control we’ll go to the Phillies and Eagles once in a while but we are really more or less homebodies, don’t go out much and don’t need hustle and bustle.
Any suggestions?
Thank you for reading. This is my first time posting but having lurked here for months I have really appreciated the honesty everybody shows.

Last edited by Erieroamer; 07-16-2020 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: Forgot dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 09:07 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Do you want to buy immediately, or is renting for a while an option? When my husband and I moved to Southern New Jersey in the 1990s, we knew little about it. My family had vacationed at the Shore since 1960, but I didn't know much about the interior other than Batsto, blueberries, and tomatoes. Corn, too.

You should be able to find a house on a county road in either Medford or Evesham Township. As long as you buy a good school district, everything should work out.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:07 AM

1,837 posts, read 675,372 times
Medford should be good for escaping the wall to wall shopping center development of Cherry Hill. On the east side of Chery Hill and in towns like Haddonfield, you might have to keep up with the Joneses and your kid might get a classist vibe with the other kids in the AP classes there.

Medford/Marlton/Mt. Laurel are upper middle class oriented and likely the parents are college educated.

While I've seen the Freedom park kids on the fields often all white, I think if your kid is into sports and good at it, he should fit in Medford.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:03 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
Medford should be good for escaping the wall to wall shopping center development of Cherry Hill. On the east side of Chery Hill and in towns like Haddonfield, you might have to keep up with the Joneses and your kid might get a classist vibe with the other kids in the AP classes there.

Medford/Marlton/Mt. Laurel are upper middle class oriented and likely the parents are college educated.

While I've seen the Freedom park kids on the fields often all white, I think if your kid is into sports and good at it, he should fit in Medford.
The people who owned this property https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8872...8335283,18.52z owned a couple of horses. A couple of times I saw a young woman trotting one around the rear fenced area in the back. There's a gate in the fence.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:36 PM

325 posts, read 368,219 times
I think I would stick with Mount Laurel or Delran. Medford, Marlton, Cinnaminson are more Trump-friendly, meaning that they may not be tolerant of people not like themselves, if you know what I mean.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:48 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Z-B View Post
I think I would stick with Mount Laurel or Delran. Medford, Marlton, Cinnaminson are more Trump-friendly, meaning that they may not be tolerant of people not like themselves, if you know what I mean.
Not true. Marlton and Cinnaminson are the same level as Delran in this regard.

https://www.nj.com/news/2016/11/how_..._election.html

Old 07-27-2020, 01:46 PM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Z-B View Post
Funny all the real obsessed racists I know are all 'tolerant' lefties. Anyway I was a product of the Medford school system there. My graduating class was around ~550 and we had 2 or 3 mixed/black kids (parents had prestigious backgrounds) in our grade and nobody gave them issues.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:28 PM

325 posts, read 368,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Funny all the real obsessed racists I know are all 'tolerant' lefties. Anyway I was a product of the Medford school system there. My graduating class was around ~550 and we had 2 or 3 mixed/black kids (parents had prestigious backgrounds) in our grade and nobody gave them issues.
Ha, this has got to be the post of the week! Made me laugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: