U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 03:22 PM

4 posts, read 1,009 times

Advertisements

Hi all ,
I am considering a job offer in New Brunswick , NJ. I live in Dallas , TX and the cost of living in NJ is way to high compared to Dallas.

Some People told me that i can live in PA across the border which will save me a lot of money. So i am looking at towns and places within 50 minutes drive from New Brunswick that are affordable , good schools and reasonable.
Since the new job requires three days in office and 2 days from home and sometimes entire week from home then i do not mind driving for 45-50 minutes to work each way , this is not a daily commute everyday.

I really appreciate it sharing your thoughts about towns , places in PA that has good schools, safe and within 50 minutes drive from New Brunswick NJ.

I have three kids, a 15 years old, 12 years old and 4 years old. pretty much i need good schools elementary , middle and high school...

Looking to buy a house, or maybe a town house. The budget is pretty much open as long as i get good schools, nice and safe neighborhoods. I did not search in NJ since everyone i spoke to recommended PA, but if there a reasonable place in NJ withing 50 minutes drive to New Brunswick then i will consider it.

Thank you very much and looking forward to your input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 09:25 PM

28,465 posts, read 27,247,137 times
You're going to pay a lot - in many ways - for that. That commute eats tires, and you'll be gone for many hours a day. I stopped working, twice, because of my husband's demanding career.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:29 PM

977 posts, read 859,892 times
Yardley and Newtown. The only problem is that they are 45-50 minutes to New Brunswick with no traffic...not during typical commuting hours, which would mean you are going to definitely go over the 1 hour mark. Lots of traffic on those routes from Bucks and Northampton Counties into Central Jersey because a lot of people have moved there for tax purposes just like you are considering. The other footnote to that is home prices have gotten more expensive over there as time has gone on.

That said, if you are looking at PA towns to commute to New Brunswick, you should be posting in the Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley forums...to New Brunswick though, really only that Philadelphia forum, because Bucks County towns along of close to the NJ border, like the two mentioned above, are the only real options.

What is your budget? You may find between the commute, bridge tolls, gas, wear and tear on your car, and perhaps your mortgage to, that the tax savings are not as great as you may think.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:05 AM

4 posts, read 1,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Yardley and Newtown. The only problem is that they are 45-50 minutes to New Brunswick with no traffic...not during typical commuting hours, which would mean you are going to definitely go over the 1 hour mark. Lots of traffic on those routes from Bucks and Northampton Counties into Central Jersey because a lot of people have moved there for tax purposes just like you are considering. The other footnote to that is home prices have gotten more expensive over there as time has gone on.

That said, if you are looking at PA towns to commute to New Brunswick, you should be posting in the Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley forums...to New Brunswick though, really only that Philadelphia forum, because Bucks County towns along of close to the NJ border, like the two mentioned above, are the only real options.

What is your budget? You may find between the commute, bridge tolls, gas, wear and tear on your car, and perhaps your mortgage to, that the tax savings are not as great as you may think.
Thanks for your comments, I am looking at max 600K . I will take your advice and post in the Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley forums.
Remember I might go to work just 2 or 3 days a week and some weeks all remote from home. So an hour drive is not that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or