Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2020, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,914 times

Advertisements

I have recently found a job at Stockton University, my wife found one in Margate. We have been looking at places nearby, particularly Absecon and Somers Point. Both towns appear to be fairly inexpensive, safe, and diverse, all things we want. However, we have a few questions/concerns, mostly about Absecon/Somers Point.

Do either of the towns have a decent main street with shops etc.?

We are a little worried about Absecon, since our kids would go to Pleasantville High School. Is it really that bad? It is poorly ranked on most websites.

It appears that Somers Point is quite a bit larger, but Absecon offers more open space. Is this correct?

Overall, which would you recommend to a family with two kids, 5 and 6? What are the benefits of living in each town?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 07:11 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2048 View Post
I have recently found a job at Stockton University, my wife found one in Margate. We have been looking at places nearby, particularly Absecon and Somers Point. Both towns appear to be fairly inexpensive, safe, and diverse, all things we want. However, we have a few questions/concerns, mostly about Absecon/Somers Point.

Do either of the towns have a decent main street with shops etc.?

We are a little worried about Absecon, since our kids would go to Pleasantville High School. Is it really that bad? It is poorly ranked on most websites.

It appears that Somers Point is quite a bit larger, but Absecon offers more open space. Is this correct?

Overall, which would you recommend to a family with two kids, 5 and 6? What are the benefits of living in each town?

Thank you!
Don’t go to Absecon, there’s high crime and yes poorer schools. Somers point kids go to Mainland which is much better. No you will not get open space at all in Somers point. Check out Galloway Twp, nice area and good schools. If you choose a town like Port Republic you’ll find much more open space. Plus you’ll be right near Stockton and be 20 minutes from Margate. Is there a reason you skipped Galloway?

Old 06-09-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Don’t go to Absecon, there’s high crime and yes poorer schools. Somers point kids go to Mainland which is much better. No you will not get open space at all in Somers point. Check out Galloway Twp, nice area and good schools. If you choose a town like Port Republic you’ll find much more open space. Plus you’ll be right near Stockton and be 20 minutes from Margate. Is there a reason you skipped Galloway?
I wanted to add there’s a lot of summer traffic in Somers Point. You won’t even be able to get into a restaurant without a two hour wait in summer because everyone from dry Ocean City goes to Somers Point to have a drink with dinner and because the restaurants are much better there. The supermarkets will be crowded with vacationers too.

I forgot to mention that Smithville in Galloway Township is also a nice area where there is a lot of space.

Old 06-09-2020, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I wanted to add there’s a lot of summer traffic in Somers Point. You won’t even be able to get into a restaurant without a two hour wait in summer because everyone from dry Ocean City goes to Somers Point to have a drink with dinner and because the restaurants are much better there. The supermarkets will be crowded with vacationers too.

I forgot to mention that Smithville in Galloway Township is also a nice area where there is a lot of space.
Hmm... my wife might not be thrilled with the commute from Smithville. Is there a lot to do around there? I know Galloway schools are pretty good. But Smithville looks more like a suburban development than a town as far as I can tell. Any thoughts?

Old 06-09-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2048 View Post
Hmm... my wife might not be thrilled with the commute from Smithville. Is there a lot to do around there? I know Galloway schools are pretty good. But Smithville looks more like a suburban development than a town as far as I can tell. Any thoughts?
There’s not too much to do except for the Historic Smithville attraction which has events pretty much every weekend. And of course proximity to Atlantic City gives you lots of options for things to do. Galloway isn’t much farther than Absecon is to Margate. But Absecon probably has Atlantic County’s highest crime rate outside Atlantic City. Will your wife work weekends or just during the week? You might also consider Egg Harbor Twp. which is close to both the parkway and expressway. Personally I would choose the town you’d most like to live in vs focusing just on the commute. Her commute depending on her hours will be sucky in the summer no matter, the worst part driving through Margate itself.

Somers Point is a nice town and fits your needs except for space, it’s pretty built up.

What is your ideal area? What kind of things to do?

Maybe spend a day doing the commute from various towns just to see what you can live with.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:37 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,253,478 times
Agree with everything ocnjgirl said. Stay away from Absecon. Check out Galloway and Port Republic.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:50 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,616 times
Purely from a schools perspective, your best choice in Atlantic County is Linwood. This town favors the Margate commute, but going to Stockton should still only take 20 minutes.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:38 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,698 times
Our grandchildren were raised in Linwood/Northfield & went to Mainland schools. Very good school and they continued to go to excellent colleges, Stockton being one. I would definitely check out that area.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:34 PM

814 posts, read 2,042,794 times
did you even consider Cape May County? Taxes are cheaper in upper township just across the great egg harbor bay and a short commute to margate and no too far to Stockton kids would attend high school in Ocean City and the k thru 8 schools are in upper township. woodbine NJ isnt too far and has some of the lowest property taxes in the state. not too sure about middle township schools rankings.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:42 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,478 times
Surprised no one has mentioned Egg Harbor Township. No downtown, but lots of shopping options. Schools are probably the best you’ll find in that region after Linwood/Northfield. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia