U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 09:36 AM

201 posts, read 697,731 times

Advertisements

My DH maybe taking a job early March 09 in Philly and we heard Moorestown and Haddonfield are nice. We have a 4 & 6 year old and will be relocating if he takes the job. We'd like a friendly walkable town with lots of kids activities. Where the kids can ride their bikes to friends houses or a swim club for tennis and swimming. Any suggestions?? We'd consider private schools. Is Southern NJ better than PA?? If so any reasons why?

What also we like: historic section of town(?) - nicely kept homes - friendly neighbors - artsy community - maybe a bit liberal - great restaurants - community involvement -
price range $700k - $1M

THANKS for any and all input on area's and private schools to look at

Last edited by J&A'sMOM; 07-06-2008 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: add details
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 10:49 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,211,752 times
Southern NJ is a lot better than PA IMHO. Simply a better location with better zoning. You'll have better access to Philly, Princeton, the shore, central/northern NJ and NYC. From Moorestown, Penn Station is an hour forty from Hamilton train station and Princeton is 25-30 minutes.

Haddonfield and Moorestown have plenty of housing stock $700K-$1 million with top schools. Medford is another good choice with walkable downtown and great schools. Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Mount Laurel and Marlton have no downtown to speak of and probably not what you're looking for as they are more highway based but still desirable areas. You will have no trouble finding suitable housing in a great area in one of these towns. Be prepared to pay a lot in taxes, however.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 13,584,730 times
Along with Moorestown, Haddonfield, and Medford NJ I'd advise checking out the Mainline towns in PA which put you 15-30 minutes from Center City Philly.

Merion
Bryn Mawr
Wynnewood
Penn Valley
Haverford
Radnor
Wayne
Tredyffrin
West Chester
Valley Forge area
Villanova + Gladwyne are very pricey but definitely worth a look to see if it is a fit for you.

The 4 surrounding PA. counties of Philadlephia are fabulous.Montgomery,Chester,Bucks, and most of Delaware are great counties to raise a family.

In fact Montgomery placed #9 and Chester placed #10 in Yahoos top 20 counties in the USA to raise a family.

Good luck.

America's Best Places to Raise a Family - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/americas-best-places-to-raise-a-family.html - broken link)

West Chester Chester County

Last edited by rainrock; 07-06-2008 at 09:27 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 09:07 AM

13 posts, read 43,380 times
My husband took a job outside Philly 6 years ago and we moved our family (at the time, 3 kids ages 7, 5, 4) to Doylestown in Bucks County. It has been great for all of us. The public school system is very highly rated and very demanding. Our kids have thrived. Doylestown Borough has a walkable, charming retail/restaurant/museum/historic district that is a destination throughout the year. In addition, there are great parks and an extensive rail/trail system. Doylestown Township (http://www.doylestownpa.org/P&R/DoylestownParks.htm#Central_Park_and_Kids_Castle - broken link)
(Check out Central Park and Kids Castle, across the street from our development!) The community is very active and very socially aware.

Don't know enough about South Jersey to compare but I understand the taxes are significantly higher on the Jersy side of the Delaware.

We are about to do the reverse -- my husband is going to take a job in NYC so we will be looking for a commutable, family-friendly community in New Jersey. You should take a look at our house -- 5BR, 2f/2h bath, finished basement, hardwood, granite, on a cul-de-sac in a totally family-friendly neighborhood with great schools, parks, YMCA, swim clubs, etc . . . all in the low end of your price range.

Good luck!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:33 PM

6 posts, read 15,502 times
To MoorestownResident & Rainrock:

Can I get your considered opinions on the following pls. We currently live in the UK but will be relocating next year to the US (my spouse is US, I'm in the process of getting a Green Card). She grew up in CT and lived in Boston, I'm working in investment banking in London (still have a job).

Fortunately things have been good for us so we can move without jobs and take our time to worry about careers. We are considering: Boston, Philadelphia, DC and Miami. Not NYC because we know it too well and I want to avoid Wall St.

If you could afford any neighbourhood and needed good schools (maybe private as we have a couple of education needs), where would you aim for in the suburbs? I've had a Homeric commute in the UK so I wouldn't want a train ride of over 45 mins if I could avoid it.

tks

Old 09-09-2008, 02:44 PM

Moorestown, NJ. It ranked best place to live in the US in 2005 when Money focused on small towns. It has history, tons of character, jaw-dropping victorians and huge estates with a blue ribbon school district. Moorestown Friends, the quaker founded private school founded in 1785, is also considered one of the best in the region. It is located in the heart of town.

Moorestown was founded as a Quaker town and was settled in the late 1600s. The town is true to its roots - it serves no alcohol and prides itself on community spirit. The town is home to many celebrities, CEOs, and power influencers. Think Americana, think Norman Rockwell, think argyle sweaters on a crisp fall day with the smell of wood burning fireplaces. That's Moorestown.

Our community house sits on bustling Main Street. If you are coming to the area, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

http://www.thecommunityhouse.com/

Old 09-09-2008, 03:08 PM

730 posts, read 2,790,456 times
Would Moorestown be considered "artsy" and "a bit liberal"? I've never been and was just wondering. It looks like it leans way more toward the conservative side, but I have no idea.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:55 PM

Moorestown has a heavy art presence at the Perkins Center of the Arts which is located just off Main Street. The town would not have the same artsy appeal as say, Collingswood. There are all walks of life in town. The Quaker roots are conservative but the appeal and prestige of the town draws all types, including liberals. The town experienced a 20% population growth over a 3 year period due to significant building. New estate homes on the outskirts of town are the 'new' money, the old money is closer to Main Street in the grand old victorians that have been in the family for generations. Lots of homes currently being refurbished, or torn down, especially in town center. There is no land left to build on.

There are major revitalization efforts planned, one on Main Street including new parks, municipal building, library, police station, high end condos and retail, the other is a town center concept just recently approved for the Lenola section of town that needs some revitalization. Now's a good time to buy into Moorestown.

https://www.perkinscenter.org/history.asp (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia