Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 12:08 PM

25 posts, read 67,610 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a Mount Laurel native who is coming back to South jersey after a stint in the Bay Area California as a young adult.

I missed my home region terribly, and love the older towns with a main st feeling in the area, such as Moorestown, Haddonfield, and Medford.

My question is: In Berkeley CA and later South Orange/Maplewood NJ, I found towns with a progressive and socially liberal climate that I loved.

I'm curious about the social climates in the south jersey towns of Burlington and Camden counties, because I haven't yet experienced them outside of childhood.

What I would like to find is lgbt friendly places that take pride in accepting people from diverse backgrounds and ideas. where you won't be looked down upon because you don't drive a certain kind of car, etc... Which towns are more known to be this way or definitely not this way? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 01:39 PM

327 posts, read 1,191,662 times
I recently relocated from Eastampton, so I'm familiar with the Burlco towns you mentioned. My general thought is that you'd have a better chance of acceptance in a larger town than those you mentioned. I would guess that Haddonfield might be close to what you're looking for, less so in Moorestown. My suggestion is that you look further north toward Lambertville / New Hope or Frenchtown, if your work location/commute would allow. Outside of larger cities, I think these towns provide the most diverse lifestyles around.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:43 PM

53 posts, read 119,866 times
Do not go to Haddonfield heights the white population their is very backwards and old fashioned. Your best bet would be Cherry Hill if you are looking for ethnically diverse area. I feel Cherry Hill seems to have more liberals while Haddonfield seems more conservative. Personally NJ to me seems mostly conservative unless you are near a city.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:50 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,492,988 times
Moorestown is about twice the size of Haddonfield and despite its traditional, conservative roots, it is generally accepting of alternative lifestyles and liberal ideas. I had a same sex couple living next door until they moved but they stayed in town. Nobody treated them with disrespect. As for money, it really depends where you live in town. You will certainly run into the keeping up with the Jones' types in any of the those towns. I think the highly competitive school districts attract a certain type of folk. I would guess that Cherry Hill is probably the least desirable town in terms of a liberal climate.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 08-04-2008 at 02:07 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 08:00 PM

516 posts, read 1,611,691 times
If you affiliate with the LGBT community, then I might suggest looking into Collingswood and check out the LGBT scene there. I'm not sure--I don't get out much with two small children--but it seems to have a younger, artsy crowd. Otherwise, head north about 45 minutes up to the Lamberville/New Hope area.

Otherwise, the three towns you mention are your typical suburban towns with families and white picket fences. I live in Point of Woods in CH where the neighborhood itself is extremely diverse ethnically (Black/white couples; asian/white couples; pakistan; indian; asian; african-american) and religiously (jew, christian, buddhist, muslim, hindu, etc). As a result, folks tend to be fairly tolerant and accepting of one another. Folks tend to keep to themselves, but are generally overall considerate and kind. But, I have not seen may folks who affiliate with the LGBT community.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:48 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,465,675 times
Of the four you mentioned, Cherry Hill is probably the most progressive simply do to it's size and diversity. Haddonfield, Moorestown and Medford are generally more conservative towns. To use a not entirely accurate term they are generally "WASP" communities. Not that you would face any discrimination there, but if you are looking for a LGBT social scene, I don't think you will find it there. Those communities are also very much on the wealthy side and there is a fair bit of keeping up with the Jones'.

As another poster recommended Collingswood would be a very good fit. They have an active and vibrant LGBT community and actually market the town to LGBT couples. There are a lot of older and younger LGBT couples that originally lived in the "Gayborhood" in Philadelphia, that wanted a quieter suburb with a downtown, but still have easy access to Philly, Collingswood fits the bill nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia