Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 11:39 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,697,267 times

Advertisements

I am trying to determine which of these towns I want to move to in the near future. They all have pros/cons of my opinion but wanted to hear others and their opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 01:39 PM

691 posts, read 3,060,086 times
I'll take a stab at some quick comparisons:

Haddon Heights - walkable town with a decent little main street district. School district is good. Housing is fairly reasonable. No direct rail access to Philly but easy drives to Westmont or Haddonfield station.

Haddonfield - definitely the most expensive of the 4 with the biggest homes. Excellent school district with very nice main street district with direct rail access to Philly. Some may feel town has too much of an "elitist" attitude.

Haddon Twp aka Westmont - comparable to Haddon Heights although certain sections of the Twp are more shady (closer to the black horse pike). This is the only town of the 4 that is not "dry" so you will find bars and liquor stores here. Also direct rail access to Philly.

Collingswood - this has become the hip town as of late. The main street area is very good and rivals Haddonfield's - lots of good restaurants. A lot of young professionals live here as this is the closest town to Philly and has direct rail access. They also want to transform Collingswood into a transit village so expect more dense development w/ condos etc near the station. Collingswood probably has the worst school district of the 4 but it is improving. Also - some parts of the town are very close to Camden which is a negative.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:47 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,697,267 times
A side note. If you had to add/factor in say 1-2 more towns nearby that you think we should consider please throw that out there.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:53 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
I'll take a stab at some quick comparisons:

Haddon Heights - walkable town with a decent little main street district. School district is good. Housing is fairly reasonable. No direct rail access to Philly but easy drives to Westmont or Haddonfield station.

Haddonfield - definitely the most expensive of the 4 with the biggest homes. Excellent school district with very nice main street district with direct rail access to Philly. Some may feel town has too much of an "elitist" attitude.

Haddon Twp aka Westmont - comparable to Haddon Heights although certain sections of the Twp are more shady (closer to the black horse pike). This is the only town of the 4 that is not "dry" so you will find bars and liquor stores here. Also direct rail access to Philly.

Collingswood - this has become the hip town as of late. The main street area is very good and rivals Haddonfield's - lots of good restaurants. A lot of young professionals live here as this is the closest town to Philly and has direct rail access. They also want to transform Collingswood into a transit village so expect more dense development w/ condos etc near the station. Collingswood probably has the worst school district of the 4 but it is improving. Also - some parts of the town are very close to Camden which is a negative.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.
I think Westmont shares the same school district as Haddonfield, with home prices considerably lower, on average. I used to know someone who was able to obtain a starter home there for 110,000 with the express purpose of being able to put her son into the Haddonfield school district.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:11 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,078 times
All 4 of these towns have separate school districts.

Haddonfield is the best, hands down. The property taxes reflect that.

Haddon Twp. and Haddon Heights are on the same level.

There are three parts to Haddon Twp.: Westmont, West Collingswood Heights, West Collingswood.
The West Collingswood areas are cut off from Westmont by Oaklyn and Collingswood. You might call the the tiny part of West Collingswood that's west of Route 130 "dumpy" but I wouldn't call it sketchy. Anyway, it doesn't matter, none of it is Westmont.

I would rule out Haddon Heights because of the lack of train and the higher property taxes. I would go with Collingswood or Westmont.

Cheaper, more convenient, more action.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,516,551 times
I think Collingswood and Westmont have the most upside potential, so I would put Haddon Heights last. Haddonfield is Haddonfield, head and shoulders above the surrounding towns.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,856 times
bumping this for more recent discussion. Currently live in Westmont but looking for a bigger house and property. Found a few good candidates in Haddon Heights but we dont know much about Heights. What is the current public opinion of Heights? we are in our 30s, one baby, mostly work from home with occasional philly commute

Last edited by silkymitts; 10-20-2019 at 07:43 PM..

Old 10-22-2019, 06:19 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
How long have you been living there?

Old 10-24-2019, 09:59 AM

122 posts, read 202,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkymitts View Post
bumping this for more recent discussion. Currently live in Westmont but looking for a bigger house and property. Found a few good candidates in Haddon Heights but we dont know much about Heights. What is the current public opinion of Heights? we are in our 30s, one baby, mostly work from home with occasional philly commute
At least verses Haddon Township, I think the common thought is that the town of Heights is nice, but that the high school isn't as good as Township. I'd add that, as I think we all know, a lot of opinions about the relative quality of schools is influenced by the racial make up of the student body, and Heights high school gets students from Barrington, Lawnside, and Merchantville. So, idk, it may be that Heights is an objectively worse school, but it could also just be incorrect perceptions, whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia