Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 05:05 PM

474 posts, read 1,261,713 times

Advertisements

It sure is hard having to find a property when the areas are unfamiliar and to look at just one house is a 50+ mile drive. And there's no worse feeling then driving down the road to meet the realtor and it turns out to be on a busy route or else doesn't look safe.

I must once again turn to the good folks here for a little help. After looking at what could have been a dream place; lovely dead end country lane, beautiful fields and woods nearby, 3 houses on the entire stretch--and the house a piece of junk inside and a smell so funky it permeated my sweater and hung onto it for hours afterward.

Anyways...I have found two possibilities: one is on Jacksonville-Burlington Rd. with a Burlington zip. The other is listed in Hainesport on Woolman Road and seems very close to Rancocas State Park, a big plus as I LOVE wooded trails. I've Google Earthed them both but other then revealing there are no dumps in the backyards, there is no way to find out what the areas are really like via crime, noise etc.

Can someone please help us out if you know anything about the two sections? Taxes are reasonable on both (under $3000). Also any suggestions are most welcome. We would love to live out in the country but it's way too expensive. I'm very sad to be leaving Atlantic County as we would get a lot more for our money and it is so beautiful down here. We are looking at places $220,000 and under. Type of house not important but we also don't want to be too near other neighbors, or at least not feel scrunched on both sides.

Ideally, we would love to find a home near a stable so my long time horsey buddy of 28 years won't be too far from me. A house on the grounds of, or right nearby, a horse farm would be a dream! I have a chronic condition that doesn't allow me to take long drives without days of recovery so I must turn for help to this forum.

BTW, we are signed with a buyer's agent and he is most helpful but basically I've been doing the looking on my own on the web.

Thanks so much for reading. Can anyone help us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 08:39 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,942,383 times
If you are doing home searches on your own, I suggest using www.smarteragent.com

You are basically looking to buy land, not a home and it's going to be tough finding one in your price range for this neighborhood.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:21 PM

474 posts, read 1,261,713 times
Thanks, sj, for the tip.

I am quite upset about moving, and the only reason is that my husband can no longer find enough work this far south. By relocating, he has already two places that will provide him with more then he needs. But it is tearing me apart inside--we've lived down here 20 years now. Hence my need for space--it's emotional, I guess.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 AM

327 posts, read 1,198,857 times
I had lived not too far from Rancocas Park for about 3 years and used to ride my bike through the Woolman Road area to get onto the trails in the park. My personal view is that that area of Hainseport is mostly older houses, some in less than great condition. It seemed quiet, but also seemed like the kind of place that you'd find couches on the front porch and alot of car repair being done in the driveway. That said, there is also a big fenced property with a handful of horses. Its an interesting area, and one that you'd probably have to see for yourself before passing judgment.

I'm not overly familiar with the Burlington-Jacksonville area that you're also interested in, but I believe that area is fairly rural.

There are plenty of stables in central to southern Burlington County, so you shouldn't be too far, unless you choose a location further west toward the Delaware River.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:40 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,523,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
It sure is hard having to find a property when the areas are unfamiliar and to look at just one house is a 50+ mile drive. And there's no worse feeling then driving down the road to meet the realtor and it turns out to be on a busy route or else doesn't look safe.

I must once again turn to the good folks here for a little help. After looking at what could have been a dream place; lovely dead end country lane, beautiful fields and woods nearby, 3 houses on the entire stretch--and the house a piece of junk inside and a smell so funky it permeated my sweater and hung onto it for hours afterward.

Anyways...I have found two possibilities: one is on Jacksonville-Burlington Rd. with a Burlington zip. The other is listed in Hainesport on Woolman Road and seems very close to Rancocas State Park, a big plus as I LOVE wooded trails. I've Google Earthed them both but other then revealing there are no dumps in the backyards, there is no way to find out what the areas are really like via crime, noise etc.

Can someone please help us out if you know anything about the two sections? Taxes are reasonable on both (under $3000). Also any suggestions are most welcome. We would love to live out in the country but it's way too expensive. I'm very sad to be leaving Atlantic County as we would get a lot more for our money and it is so beautiful down here. We are looking at places $220,000 and under. Type of house not important but we also don't want to be too near other neighbors, or at least not feel scrunched on both sides.

Ideally, we would love to find a home near a stable so my long time horsey buddy of 28 years won't be too far from me. A house on the grounds of, or right nearby, a horse farm would be a dream! I have a chronic condition that doesn't allow me to take long drives without days of recovery so I must turn for help to this forum.

BTW, we are signed with a buyer's agent and he is most helpful but basically I've been doing the looking on my own on the web.

Thanks so much for reading. Can anyone help us?
That area in Hainesport is in transition. Bruce Paparone is building new homes over there in a development called Beacon Hill, off Deacon Road, backing to Rancocas Sate Park. It should be quiet, the neighbors will really vary - small older bungalows, ranchers among big more upscale homes. It is worth considering and better than your other option. Crime is low, schools are average, not great- taxes are lower than surrounding towns. But it is a pretty good location, and probably decent long term investment. You will be really close to the intersection of Rt 38/541, the Turnpike and 295. As a rule of thumb the towns on the Rt 38 side are more desirable than those off 541 with higher incomes and better schools. Hainesport is one of the least desirable of that group but IMO it is better than Burlington.

More info on the new development nearby:

Welcome to Bruce Paparone, Inc.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 11-25-2008 at 10:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia