Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieDNY View Post
I would most likey look for employment at a college. I know Jersey has lots of them and they pay more than down here. How are the taxes. I know North Jersey, where my cousins lives, is brutal.
Tax mil rates for 2007 Philly area:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 12:41 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,949 times
Why on earth do you want to leave Florida for New Jersey ????

Old 12-08-2008, 12:45 PM

119 posts, read 339,321 times
The Fl that I knew when I moved down here was great but now it's kinda gotten out of hand. I have relatives in Jersey and many friends and they told me that it's a nice, safe place to raise a family. Is that not acurate? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
The Fl that I knew when I moved down here was great but now it's kinda gotten out of hand. I have relatives in Jersey and many friends and they told me that it's a nice, safe place to raise a family. Is that not acurate? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Sure theres safe places but then there are unsafe places too......try Camden where theres more murders per population that anywhere else in the United States. There are safe an usafe places in Florida too. Just be warned that the cost of living in New Jersey is about as bad as it gets.....out of control property taxes, high state tax, personal income tax, corporate taxes, unreal high real estate costs compared to Florida.....what 300K buys you in Florida is a palace compared to what it buys here .....oh....and don't forget the corruption. Unless you plan to pretty much double your income moving up here you'll be far worse off financially........theres far fewer "tourist" dollars to reduce your tax burden !!!

Old 12-08-2008, 03:09 PM

119 posts, read 339,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Sure theres safe places but then there are unsafe places too......try Camden where theres more murders per population that anywhere else in the United States. There are safe an usafe places in Florida too. Just be warned that the cost of living in New Jersey is about as bad as it gets.....out of control property taxes, high state tax, personal income tax, corporate taxes, unreal high real estate costs compared to Florida.....what 300K buys you in Florida is a palace compared to what it buys here .....oh....and don't forget the corruption. Unless you plan to pretty much double your income moving up here you'll be far worse off financially........theres far fewer "tourist" dollars to reduce your tax burden !!!

Something I need to reconsider then. From your description, it makes FL look way more appealing. Are you still in Jersey?

Old 12-08-2008, 04:33 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Why on earth do you want to leave Florida for New Jersey ????
Why on earth would he not, most of Florida is a culturless low-wage wasteland!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:38 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,217 times
FLA sucks, you couldn't pay me to live there.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Something I need to reconsider then. From your description, it makes FL look way more appealing. Are you still in Jersey?
My kids moved to Ocala about a year and a half ago. I'm 61 and have a profitable business which I plan to sell in the next year or so and make my way down there to be nearer to my kids. I'll probably look on the West coast as I prefer to be around water as opposed to inland. I understand that Florida is not perfect and every state has drawbacks but after living here for 61 years you would have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to recognize New Jersey has far more problems than the average state not to mention the crushing high cost of living.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
FLA sucks, you couldn't pay me to live there.
I see you address yourself as a Moorestown resident and we all know Moorestown is a very affluent area. I frequently work in Moorestown and last summer I had the opportunity to work for an individual in a million dollar house that was moving out of state due to the taxes. His property taxes were $26,000 a year which is not unsual in Moorestown. With that type of tax income I'm sure its a well financed school district and no doubt among the very best. But, the question is how much better ? How much better is the service from the police department.....or the garbage collection....or the library ? This particular resident saw the light and was moving.....and its not just Moorestown......which Moorestown might be among the highest the entire state is out of control with taxes and spending. My kids bought a nice house in Ocala in a very nice neighborhood........most of the Ocala police officers choose to live there......a 3 bedroom, 2 bath rancher with a two car garage and a jaccuzzi tub in the rear yard........the cost ? $160,000. Taxes ? $1500 a year. What we pay in taxes in this state for state and municipal services is insanity. While you may feel "Florida sucks" it definitely would pay you to live there.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Why on earth would he not, most of Florida is a culturless low-wage wasteland!
Perhaps in some rural areas but like any state once your in a metropolitan area theres plenty of diversified cultural events. Low wages reflect the cost of living circumstances.......it all evens out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia