Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 04:56 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Goes perfectly with my post. More yellow in SJ. As a % of home value, SJ has a very high tax burden.
Both ends of the state look more or less the same, with far more green in North Jersey than in South. Far more orange too but . . .

. . . more to the point, the chart is of milage rates. They're set higher in South Jersey because the property values are significantly lower. I don't think most homeowners give much of a sh*t what their mil. rate is. They care what they pay every year.

The tax bills in South Jersey, when comparing apples to apples, are lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 05:10 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Seriously you can not compare living in Ocala Florida (redneck country) to a vibrant culture filled state like New Jersey. There are many more opportunities to make better wages in New Jersey vs. places like Ocala. Your daughter and her husband will probably be making the same wages 10 years from now. I dont think that giving up a great state like New Jersey for living in a place like Ocala is the smartest long term move, especially for a younger person.
Seriously I am. While I am sure there are rednecks in Florida I haven't encountered an overwhelming amount in the many visits I've had there. Yes....there are very rural areas in Florida to be sure but from your statements its seems you are woefully uninformed....at least about Ocala. While you wish you degrade Florida/Ocala for lack of culture, when asked in the past, you haven't provided one example of this vibrant culture you tout in South Jersey ? Neighboring Philadelphia yes.......Neighboring New York City yes. New Jersey.....I have no idea where this culture is, especially in South Jersey. Finally, Florida is a service oriented state and for an individual with initiative its a great state to start a business. I'd also be interested to hear exactly what makes you think New Jersey is a "great state" ? "Great" to me would indicate that the list of positives far outweighs the list of negatives and to be perfectively honest the list of positives about New Jersey is very short.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
South Jersey has many employment opportunities and is near a major city (Philadelphia), I do not get your point! South Jersey is also a thriving area with many corporate offices.
I'll write slowly so perhaps you can get the point this time around. Whether your in North Jersey near NYC or in South Jersey near Philadelphia, taxes, both personal and property, in this state are far above the national average. Yet, a state like Delaware thats also near Philadelphia at one end and Washington at the other has a very reasonable tax structure. I'm lost as to why the residents continue to find ways to accept this on City-Data rather than being angry over their tax burden.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,800 times
Thumbs up Reply w/goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieDNY View Post
Hello,

I've heard great things on places such as Cherry Hill and Collingswood. My co-worker moved down from Burlington County about a year ago and he is going to move back cause he misses it so much. I was wondering everyone's general opinion on South Jersey and where do you think is the best place for a young couple to raise a kid. Thank you all.
Hi,
I know for a fact that raising a child is not easy let alone children; but, if you are going to raise a child first pray that the almighty gives you the wisdom and the courge that guide you through the years ahead. So on this thought I would tell you that Cherry Hill is definitely better then Collingswood.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Camden County ranks 10th in the nation and #1 in NJ in highest property tax as a % of home value. Average bill is over $6K.

The counties in north jersey have higher assessments for the most part and slightly higher average bills but the difference is not night and day. Bergen and Hunterdon Counties have property taxes around $8K on average but as a % of home value they don't rank anywhere near the counties in South Jersey.

I'm not sure why everyone has glossed over the above facts presented earlier by Moorestown Resident !!! Regarding tax burden out of all the counties in the entire nation Camden County is 10th in the nation !!! Now, what more do you get for that extra burden ? Nothing !!! Something is really out of wack here in New Jersey, specifically South Jersey, but it seems everyone would rather offer excuses or defend paying out of control taxes than admit something is terribly wrong in comparision to other states.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:35 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I'm not sure why everyone has glossed over the above facts presented earlier by Moorestown Resident !!! Regarding tax burden out of all the counties in the entire nation Camden County is 10th in the nation !!! Now, what more do you get for that extra burden ? Nothing !!! Something is really out of wack here in New Jersey, specifically South Jersey, but it seems everyone would rather offer excuses or defend paying out of control taxes than admit something is terribly wrong in comparision to other states.
well, #1 - I don't live in Camden County, lol

#2 - WTF here DOES NOT KNOW this is an expensive place and that taxes are high?!?! Personally, I'm not a complainer, unlike 80% of the people here. We've got a nice house, 2 good jobs, our health, discretionary income, college and retirement savings, why on EARTH *would* I bit**? How silly and selfish that would be. What purpose does boo-hoo'ing on an internet message board serve? If people put 1/2 the energy they do here complaining about this state into enacting real change, maybe we'd see a difference.

And please, do not hold Florida (since you're the one who keeps bringing it up) as a panacea. It would not be on my list of states who "do it right".

Old 12-12-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
well, #1 - I don't live in Camden County, lol

#2 - WTF here DOES NOT KNOW this is an expensive place and that taxes are high?!?! Personally, I'm not a complainer, unlike 80% of the people here. We've got a nice house, 2 good jobs, our health, discretionary income, college and retirement savings, why on EARTH *would* I bit**? How silly and selfish that would be. What purpose does boo-hoo'ing on an internet message board serve? If people put 1/2 the energy they do here complaining about this state into enacting real change, maybe we'd see a difference.

And please, do not hold Florida (since you're the one who keeps bringing it up) as a panacea. It would not be on my list of states who "do it right".
Again....here we find someone who looks on asking why our tax burden is so high in comparison with just about anyplace else in the US as being a "complainer" ? If you don't ask questions your bound to continue repeating history.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Again....here we find someone who looks on asking why our tax burden is so high in comparison with just about anyplace else in the US as being a "complainer" ? If you don't ask questions your bound to continue repeating history.
no.. *on this board* it's not ASKING...it's COMPLAINING. but, to answer your question as to why?

- too many municipalities, duplication of services
- NJEA, especially higher ups (too many chiefs)
- corruption

so, there you go. there's the "why". now what?

Old 12-12-2008, 09:18 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,697 times
actually, we've done so much arguing over whether or not folks in NJ should complain over higher taxes, that we've probably scared off the original poster.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
no.. *on this board* it's not ASKING...it's COMPLAINING. but, to answer your question as to why?

- too many municipalities, duplication of services
- NJEA, especially higher ups (too many chiefs)
- corruption

so, there you go. there's the "why". now what?
Apparently according to your statistics other states must have very few municipalities.....little duplication of services.....little corruption and just the right amount of "chiefs"......my personal feelings are the NJEA does a lot of good. Why "on this board" are those who question seen as complainers....do we pass into another dimension where common sense doesn't exist when we log on ? Politicians must love this blind eye attitude.....no wonder they treat us as dumb and keep heaping more financial burdens on us.....no one speaks up and those who do are viewed as whiners and complainers ? Offering excuse after excuse for this mess only signals the politicians that they are truly dealing with fools and sheep that are quite willing be be lead down any path they care to take us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia