Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,735 times

Advertisements

Happy New year to all.....Thanks for all of the input. We will look at all of the areas suggested. We do not have kids right now but probably would be looking to start a family in the next two years or so. I noticed that nobody mentioned Haddonfield. Another friend had suggested that to us....is that because it would be way too expensive to rent there (we saw some nice two bedrooms for rent for $1400). or not much availability? Or is it not a "young feel". Bars are not so important to us anymore (those days are over!). More cool restaurants or maybe a cool main street with shops. Thanks again for all of the advice. Will post more Qs if you guys don't mind as moving time gets closer...

J-

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
As far as renting a place goes you can't go wrong with Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Barrington, Haddon Heights, Audubon, Oaklyn, Collingswood and Westmont (Haddon Twp.)

The OP said he doesn't have children. I think he's looking for a nice school district for his wife to teach in and I don't think she'll have any problems with any of the places suggested so far.

Collingswood and Westmont are as close to young and cool as you're going to get. The center of gravity for the under 35 set is across the river in Center City and is far too close for any real action in South Jersey to not get sucked into its orbit . . . if that makes any sense. I lived in NJ for most of my life and I've noticed that wherever you go in the state, with rare exception, any scene there might be is really geared toward people 40 and up. Hoboken is one exception. Asbury Park another (at least for now). You might find a bar here and there or even a restaurant that aims for folks in their 20s or even the slightly older DINKs but more often than not the scene is families or empty-nesters. My theory is that it's a combination of the arcane laws governing liquor licenses and the two cities at either end of the state.

I've actually heard officials in Collingswood say "the only thing keeping us from being Manayunk East is liquor licenses". The town does boast some good restaurants but, unfortunately, you still have to walk to Westmont to go to a pub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 09:58 PM

983 posts, read 2,768,548 times
Haddonfield is a beautiful town with a wonderful downtown/main street...probably one of the nicest in South Jersey, although most of the shops are expensive boutiques. Haddonfield is expensive and has an "uppercrusty" feel to it (lots of high income people live there...doctors, lawyers, professors) and there is pretty much zero diversity - pretty much a town of white, preppy types. If you are comfortable in that kind of environment and can find a place to rent in your price range, I say go for it.

I also agree with the others who suggested Collingswood. Collingswood is right down the road from Haddonfield (maybe 1-2 miles). Not sure how great the schools are but it's a great little town with charming older architecture and an adorable and hip downtown, and very conveniently located for all the places you need to get to (and also to Philadelphia)...right on the PATCO line. It's got more of a "young" vibe than Haddonfield.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,967 times
I agree with Sassygirl about Haddonfield & Collingswood. Collingswood also has a large, nice park-Knights Park. Both towns have many good restaurants and the Patco speed line train will take you right over to Philly where you can find another cool place of shops and restaurants--South Street. I've lived in Haddon Twp. for 27 yrs and my husband all his life. It's just the taxes that are hurting us.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:37 PM

267 posts, read 949,100 times
Although Haddonfield is nice, I don't know that you will find too many young couples there. I find it to be a town of mostly older, well established families. It's not cheap to live there, which is why you don't get too many people starting out there. I say live close to it and you can still go and utilize the downtown area. I live in CH and love it here. It has a great school district with plenty of jobs to go around since the township has about 70k people. Like someone said, the Patco towns are all good options for access to Philly for jobs, fun, etc..

Old 01-30-2009, 09:43 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,692,802 times
Haddonfield is nice but doesn't make sense to live in unless you can clearly afford it or you plan to utilize the schools there. Otherwise you can live in Haddon Twp or Collingswood and have a similar feel (be close to haddonfield) and afford much more. Now if you are renting I would say you can go either way since I don't think Haddonfield rents are that much mroe than Collingswood. I am sure you get more for your dollar in Collingswood in terms of space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia