Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 12,510 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that is moving to Cherry Hill, NJ or somewhere near Rutgers. I'm not familiar with New Jersey because I live in California. What are some good places that a young, professional, female could move to in the area? She's 27 years old and needs an area where people are friendly and the neighborhoods are safe.

She is also looking for a job in the psychology field.

Last edited by Clee888; 12-30-2008 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: add information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 03:51 PM

208 posts, read 852,783 times
If your friend wants to be near Rutgers, then I would've live in Cherry Hill. It's about an hour drive and two counties south. Rutgers is in Middlesex County so you should concentrate there. Is your friend looking to rent or buy? What is her price range? She should probably try to find a job first before moving at all, or definitely before buying. The more south you go, the cheaper housing gets. Have her check NJDOP (New Jersey Department of Personnel) website for jobs, or of course you can use search engines like Monster.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:08 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,162,707 times
Unless the OP's friend is looking to be near Rutgers Camden...?

Old 12-30-2008, 04:42 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
If your friend is talking about Cherry Hill and Rutgers in the same breath, that would be the Camden campus. She might want to live not too far from the PATCO train which stops near the college.

Port Authority Transit Corporation

Collingswood is becoming quite popular; Westmont is not a bad option. Things are a bit pricey in Haddonfield, but it's a lovely town. If you check some online maps, you'll see that those towns are just south of the quite large Cherry Hill Township. Cherry Hill doesn't have a proper town center, so you'll probably have to check the township online to get some idea of where the borders are located. It's very busy but generally safe, decent.

PATCO is also a convenient way to get to Philadelphia, which might come in handy while job hunting.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:03 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
If Rutgers-Camden, stay on the convenient Patco towns of Collingswood or Haddon Twp (Westmont stop on Patco) for a 27 year old. Do not live in Camden. Haddonfield is too expensive for a college student, though it is a great town with quaint shops and pub/restaurants. Cherry Hill is fine but rents will be higher and the location less convenient.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:14 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
There are also two apartment complexes near the Ashland Station on PATCO. They're both in Voorhees Township. I can't remember the name of either right now but i'm sure if you google you will find them.

But I would look in Collingswood first and Westmont second.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 12,510 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Is Cherry Hill like San Francisco where you can definitely tell the good areas from the bad. As an example Richmond District as compared to the mission district.
In general the consensus is that she should live near a Patco for convenience and the cities are:

Collinswood
Westmont
Voorhies
Haddonfield-Pricey option

Are these cities or neighborhoods?

Old 02-20-2010, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 7,185 times
I don't think I could ever compare Cherry Hill to San Francisco. San Francisco is just beautiful! Cherry Hill is the burbs, full of shopping malls, strips malls, and shopping centers. I don't really know of any unsafe places in Cherry Hill. It has good schools, good place to raise your kids--plenty of activities.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:59 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,713 times
You can also live along the River Line drops you off right in front of Rutgers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_L...Jersey_Transit)

Check out Riverton

http://www.riverton-nj.com/

Old 02-20-2010, 02:14 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
Cherry Hill is right down the road from Rutgets Camden if you take 30, so it's a pretty easy commute. If you want a more urban small town feel, I'd say move to one of the towns along the speedline (Patco) and if she wants a more rural small town feel to move along the RiverLINE.

The speedline goes straight to Philly and has stops in Camden walking distance from Rutgers. It also connects to the Atlantic City Line which (obviously) goes to Atlantic City.

The RiverLINE goes from Trenton to Camden and stops right on campus. It connects to the speedline in Camden at Walter Rand Transportation Center (where most South Jersey NJ Transit buses terminate, personally I would not advise going to the bus part, ever) and connects to the North East Corridor in Trenton which has service to NYC, New Brunswick (where several Rutgers Campuses are), and Newark (where Rutgers Newark is). It also connects to the Septa R7 which goes from Trenton, through Center City Philadelphia, terminating in Chestnut Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia