Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 48,767 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy a home in Camden or Gloucester counties in South Jersey something moderate. Are there any areas to avoid besides Camden, Gloucester city etc? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 04:58 PM

219 posts, read 852,830 times
Homes start around $250,000. BASIC.
Taxes range from 5k to 10k a year.
Auto insurance is way out of line.
Small towns like Collingswood, Mt Ephraim, Oaklyn etc may be in the $200k range.
Go farther east in SJ and you are looking at bigger numbers for your home.
When you get up in years like us.............you will HAVE to move because you won't be able to afford NJ. It's life.
Hopefully, you make big dollars with a wonderful retirement package.
If you think NJ is going to change and prices and taxes will lower.........you are sadly mistaken.
And by the way............Camden County, in fact all of NJ is the most corrupt County and State in this country. So you will deal with that.
Good luck.
If you like city type living with a suburban atmosphere.........Collingswood is a real nice town. Don't know how long it will last though. Stay away from West Collingswood. Getting a little trashy. It's next to Woodlynne which is next to Camden.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:25 AM

986 posts, read 2,807,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njprintman View Post
Homes start around $250,000. BASIC.
Taxes range from 5k to 10k a year.
Auto insurance is way out of line.
Small towns like Collingswood, Mt Ephraim, Oaklyn etc may be in the $200k range.
Go farther east in SJ and you are looking at bigger numbers for your home.
When you get up in years like us.............you will HAVE to move because you won't be able to afford NJ. It's life.
Hopefully, you make big dollars with a wonderful retirement package.
If you think NJ is going to change and prices and taxes will lower.........you are sadly mistaken.
And by the way............Camden County, in fact all of NJ is the most corrupt County and State in this country. So you will deal with that.
Good luck.
If you like city type living with a suburban atmosphere.........Collingswood is a real nice town. Don't know how long it will last though. Stay away from West Collingswood. Getting a little trashy. It's next to Woodlynne which is next to Camden.
I so agree!! I have a fear however when the time comes for my husband and I to move, no one will want to buy my home here in NJ and I will be trapped here forever!!!!

Old 03-11-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
I so agree!! I have a fear however when the time comes for my husband and I to move, no one will want to buy my home here in NJ and I will be trapped here forever!!!!
Millie,
Trapped forever?
That is exactly where I am today.
If I can sell this place for the 160K we will ask............I'll dance naked down Broad St in Philly.
We hope to move to NC in the next three months.
If we don't? Then we will be totally trapped and prisoners in our own home. Won't be able to retire.
I can only say............plan now...........don't be like me and think that everything will be OK.
People who think that NJ will change are living in a dream world.
IF THEY MADE THE STATE AFFORDABLE IT WOULDN'T HELP.
THE CORRUPTION WILL NEVER LEAVE.
The new governor was supposed to be a new beginning........now we find he may not be ALL THAT CLEAN.
Denny / Woodlynne NJ

Old 03-12-2007, 10:12 AM

937 posts, read 2,888,503 times
I would stay away from Willingsboro also. Not such a great area.
Cherry Hill is nice but getting really expensive. There's also Haddon Heights that is nice but expensive. I think all the nicer areas are getting pretty pricey.

Mullica Hill is also nice with a country feel to it.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:44 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Default scratching my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by njprintman View Post
Millie,
Trapped forever?
That is exactly where I am today.
If I can sell this place for the 160K we will ask............I'll dance naked down Broad St in Philly.
We hope to move to NC in the next three months.
If we don't? Then we will be totally trapped and prisoners in our own home. Won't be able to retire.
I can only say............plan now...........don't be like me and think that everything will be OK.
People who think that NJ will change are living in a dream world.
IF THEY MADE THE STATE AFFORDABLE IT WOULDN'T HELP.
THE CORRUPTION WILL NEVER LEAVE.
The new governor was supposed to be a new beginning........now we find he may not be ALL THAT CLEAN.
Denny / Woodlynne NJ
you complain how expensive NJ is and how you're trapped and want to move to NC yet you're concerned you won't sell your place for $160K?????? for real? $160?! i'm sorry, i don't think $160K going to get you a hell of a lot just about anywhere (and you'd probably spend less after realtor fees, moving expenses, etc), except the "mecca" that is NC or the back woods of Arkansas. also, if you're worried about selling for $160, there's probably other properties in your area that sell for less, unless your place is really, really bad.

but, say I'm wrong and you sell and find your dream home for $100K. i've got news for you, gas, food, utilities, it's all the same everywhere.

you alluded to it, but me thinks you and millie should have been a little more prudent in your retirement planning - maybe then the screaming about big, bad expensive NJ (and you guys are south which really makes me laugh) wouldn't be as ear-piercing.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
you complain how expensive NJ is and how you're trapped and want to move to NC yet you're concerned you won't sell your place for $160K?????? for real? $160?! i'm sorry, i don't think $160K going to get you a hell of a lot just about anywhere (and you'd probably spend less after realtor fees, moving expenses, etc), except the "mecca" that is NC or the back woods of Arkansas. also, if you're worried about selling for $160, there's probably other properties in your area that sell for less, unless your place is really, really bad.

but, say I'm wrong and you sell and find your dream home for $100K. i've got news for you, gas, food, utilities, it's all the same everywhere.

you alluded to it, but me thinks you and millie should have been a little more prudent in your retirement planning - maybe then the screaming about big, bad expensive NJ (and you guys are south which really makes me laugh) wouldn't be as ear-piercing.
Tahiti,
I really didn't and don't want this to become a ........ match.
I would like you to know that my suggestion on the forum to plan ahead and don't make the same mistakes I made was not because I didn't properly plan for my retirement. If lending money to family to help them (unfortunately they didn't feel it necessary to repay) is not the right thing to do........well, I'm guilty. It broke our backs.
It still doesn't explain the highest property tax rate and auto insurance rate in the country. And, it doesn't excuse the most corrupt state in the union, which has contributed tragically to the rise in those taxes.
My choice of "mecca", as you call it, is my choice.
My home value of $160,000, sorry I don't live in a $300,000 dollar home, is directly contributed to living in a town next to Camden NJ. Our town was a showcase when we moved here. That $160,000 dollar sale will get me a beautiful home in my "mecca". Enough for the wife and I.
Tahiti, I realize that living in North Jersey is expensively insane. I didn't realize you all hated us so much until I started reading this forum.
If I offended you, I do apologize and I truely mean that.
Best of Luck
Dennis
Woodlynne NJ

Old 03-14-2007, 09:46 PM

9 posts, read 44,921 times
We are thinking about moving back to South Jersey as well. I grew up there (Willingboro, actually, which has gone down, but is far from a hell hole. In fact, its household/family incomes are above the national average. And there are certainly many areas in South Jersey -- and other places --that are much worse off, although this is not a recommendation to move there). Anyway, my husband and I are looking at areas like Voorhees, Moorestown, Haddonfield, and Mt. Laurel, which are all great options. I don't understand all of the complaining about the Governor. I live in FL where politicians are not only corrupt -- they're stupid. Politics are problematic everywhere, and in every state, especially if your side loses the elections. Anyway, NJ has some of the best schl systems and has one of the best educated populations in the nation. Just do your research and take advice from people who live in trashy neighborhoods with a grain of salt. Understand that their perspectives are skewed. South Jersey is a very big area. Anyway, I don't have a place to avoid to add to the list but I will say the following: Although I like Cherry Hill and it is considered one of the best places to live in the entire state, most people I've talked to who've done recent home searching there said they wasted their time because most Cherry Hill houses on the mkt are pretty old.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:51 PM

9 posts, read 44,921 times
I'd just like to add that I don't know why Willingboro was even brought up since its in neither Camden nor Gloucester. It's in Burlington County.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 60,265 times
Default How is deptford area?

Joe,

You got a very nice house! Could you comment on how is Deptford neighbourhood? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Valentino View Post
Hi,
I live in the Deptford 08080 area and my house just hit the Market. Check out the link and email me if you have any questions.

Joe.

http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/Home...9&lnksrc=00001
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia