Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:11 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,943 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My partner and I are checking out New Jersey and we noticed one of the Southern NJ towns called Audubon looked very inviting. Small town feel but close to metro areas. Can anyone give info on this concerning the town, commuting to Camden or Philidelphia for work, etc. I will be licensed as a psychologist in a few years, and we would be moving then. At least we know we can have a civil union there! Any feedback on the quality of life, property tax (millage rate), and schools would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 05:17 AM

986 posts, read 2,808,340 times
I love Audubon!!! I am about 10 min. from that town. My sister owned a home in Audubon some years ago. We were looking at homes there before we settled here in Glendora..(also a very nice town I might add). You are about 20 min. from Philly. Schools are good from what I hear.. The bad part is property taxes are going to be high. Here in Glendora my property tax is almost 6000 a year. Good luck

Old 03-14-2007, 12:01 PM

8 posts, read 43,762 times
Default Very nice

I live in Audubon and its a very nice town. From what I hear the schools are great (don't have any kids) and our property taxes are about $5200, which isn't high, but not extremely terrible for NJ. You would be close to bridge, highways and the speedline which will take you right into Philly. Unfortunately, due to my husband's job, we will probably be selling our house soon ... let me know if you're interested!

Old 06-11-2007, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 10,379 times
Default Hello From Audubon NJ: very Gay Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Hello Everyone,

My partner and I are checking out New Jersey and we noticed one of the Southern NJ towns called Audubon looked very inviting. Small town feel but close to metro areas. Can anyone give info on this concerning the town, commuting to Camden or Philidelphia for work, etc. I will be licensed as a psychologist in a few years, and we would be moving then. At least we know we can have a civil union there! Any feedback on the quality of life, property tax (millage rate), and schools would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My partner and I love it here!

Old 06-11-2007, 06:53 PM

460 posts, read 2,422,105 times
Time for someone to chime in. Having been born and lived most of my life in NJ I can say this to any GLBT friends out there. Be wary of blue collar towns they are NOT friendly to you. There may be some folks there who keep to themselves but mostly you need to be in a bigger more affluent area to get treated better. Come and spend a few days in Audubon. Although there are nice little neighborhoods in Audubon and Audubon Park the place is blue collar. //www.city-data.com/city/Audubon-New-Jersey.html
You may need to see for yourself. Personally I lived in Collingswood for a time, I know much about that whole area. I would myself not live there nor would suggest to anyone who is not of a "blue collar" mentality to live there.
That whole area up the white horse pike is kind of middle class and the demographic is not unique for middle america.
Places in the area that are close by and will be more diverse and appreciate diversity are Haddonfield, Turnersville, Moorestown, Mt Laurel, Cherry Hill, Voorhees and New Hope in Pa. You get what you pay for in NJ.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:17 PM

8 posts, read 42,754 times
howdy - well i was born in camden nj and lived in camden county for over 25 years. i can say without a doubt audubon is an excellent place to live.

throughout the years i've lived in many small towns in that area and commuted to philly via the PATCO high speed line and driving. you can be in the city in about 15 mins on the train or 20 driving.

almost all of the neighborhoods in and around that area are very safe: westmont, haddon heights, haddonfield, collingswood, oaklyn. yes the taxes are high - but you have to look at things like the quality of the schools in the area and how close you are to one of the biggest cities in the country. that being said the taxes do vary from town to town

for example my parents live in haddonfield nj - about 1 - 2 miles from audubon. their prop taxes are nearing 10k per year. the last house i owned in camden county was in oaklyn - one town over from audubon and our taxes were around 2k per year.

hope that this helps!

matt

Old 12-10-2007, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 10,080 times
I am offended by your comments Wanna Leave Penciltucky!!
This is a nice area with plenty of freindly people and we don"t all have your "blue collar" mentality.
Moderator cut: no attacking

Last edited by tahiti; 12-10-2007 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: attacking

Old 12-20-2007, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 13,342 times
Default Oaklyn

A great place to live. Nice town only minutes from Philadelphia...
Totally worth checking out.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,402 times
My Civil-Union partner & I have lived in Audubon for the past 31/2 yrs. We love it here! The taxes are lower than Haddon Twp, or Collingswood, however taxes continue to increase. In 2007 my partner's taxes in Collingswood were 7200. We purchased a larger house with more amenities in Audubon and the taxes were 5200. The estimated taxes for 2011 are 6700, taxes are going up all over. We have excellent access to our jobs in Philly and Camden. Our neighbors are all friendly and the neighborhood we live in has a well taken care of look to it. People are upgrading theirs homes and landscaping throughout the area, good for resale values when the time comes. We live East of the White Horse Pike, I have heard some derogatory comments. About West of the Pike, but all in all, Audubon is a quiet, friendly place to live.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:20 AM

681 posts, read 1,512,426 times
If you are from out of the area and you would like to be in the "reputed" most friendly GLBT town, I would have to say that Collingswood is a no-brainer. Even Kelley McGillis, yes that Kelly McGillis, from ToP Gun and Witness has moved here with her partner. Those who always lived there expect a GLBT presence so everyone gets along well. There is even an Equality NJ office right on Haddon Ave. You would be in Philly in 12 minutes on the speedline. Next to that I would say the Westmont section of Haddon Twp, just a few blocks over. They actually host 3rd Thursday every month at Treno so you can meet your GLBT neighbors. Audoban is nice but would not be my first choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia