Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 04:55 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times

Advertisements

Thats my point. Almost anyone can afford Cherry hill, if they look. You can have the same excellent schools that the people paying $900k for their houses..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
These are all tiny fixer uppers, on tiny lots and are still $200K. You can also find this stuff all throughout New Jersey as well for cheap. Cherry Hill has a wide range of housing stock since it is a huge town and some parts are cheaper than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 06:42 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,735 times
okay, so it seems that the wonderful township of Cherry Hill offers a good variety of types of homes. you have some very nice expensive homes and some small, but cute homes that are very affordable.

i gotta tell ya, I'm really glad I started this thread. cuz' Cherry Hill is really where its at. next time I'm in or around Philly, I think I'm going to check it out.

the best part is that regardless if you're rich or poor, or if you have a large home or a small home. you still get the great schools and the many amenities (<--check me on that word, i might have misspelled it) of that town. sounds like a really nice place.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:52 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,377 times
We are far from rich and we do not live in a McMansion. We bought our house last April for 170K.
We live on the west side (eeeeew....cooties) and our house needed updating but at the end of the day....refurbishing is done and we have a kick-a$$ house and we live in Cherry Hill and.....we have NO MORTGAGE!!!!!

Cherry Hill ROCKS!

We love it here!

Shanny

Old 01-30-2009, 11:06 AM

119 posts, read 472,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
no sir, you can't hide from the truth. drive along the parkway from the New York state line all the way down to cape may. you will feel a difference.

trust me, sir. i couldn't agree w/ you more that people are people. i've been trying to tell people that since I was 6. but clearly towns are set up different in South Jersey and North Jersey, and the towns have a way different atmosphere. am I right?
There's definitely a difference.. I find it interesting how suburban south jersey is (the part near Philadelphia) for being so close to a major city. You wouldn't think you're 10 minutes from a major city if you are in towns like Deptford or Cherry Hill, yet if you went up north, almost everywhere you go close to NYC within a 10-15 mile radius, it is very urban and city-like.. I guess it has to do with population, since the top 4 largest cities in NJ are all in one spot (Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Paterson)..

Old 01-30-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjh20 View Post
There's definitely a difference.. I find it interesting how suburban south jersey is (the part near Philadelphia) for being so close to a major city. You wouldn't think you're 10 minutes from a major city if you are in towns like Deptford or Cherry Hill, yet if you went up north, almost everywhere you go close to NYC within a 10-15 mile radius, it is very urban and city-like.. I guess it has to do with population, since the top 4 largest cities in NJ are all in one spot (Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Paterson)..
indeed.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:47 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
point well taken... I agree..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjh20 View Post

Old 01-30-2009, 02:59 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
It's different, to be sure. Maps to illustrate:

Population density within 20 and 40 mile radius of NYC:

Same map around Philly:

Even the land usages are different:

Old 01-30-2009, 08:01 PM

south jersey is without a question more rural. towns up here in north jersey are more urban because they were developed way earlier than towns in south jersey. when all of the urban areas up here came to be, places like cherry hill were still small little farm towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia