Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 9,277 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are from Manchester UK and are looking to move to New Jersey and have found the moorestown area.

If anyone can provide any advice/ any other brits experience of moving to new jersey it would be great.

Also i'm a chartered accountant and was hoping someone would have an idea of jobs in the moorestown area or if i would have to commute?

Any help or advice would be great..

Taxes on house purchased / income advice would also be great

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 01:12 PM

63 posts, read 109,755 times
Hi Bexg, I'm from South Jersey but I hear that Moorestown was voted to be one of the best towns to live in, high taxes tho,like anywhere in NJ.
Do they film that show "Last of The Summer Wine" In your area? I love that show.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:30 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
You can't legally work here unless you have the proper visa, like an H1B which requires a formal application from the company that's sponsoring you. That means you need to have a job prior to moving. It's just like the UK, where working on a tourist visa is illegal. Even if your spouse is being transferred here for work, you'll have to wait a year before you can work.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:36 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexg View Post
Hi

We are from Manchester UK and are looking to move to New Jersey and have found the moorestown area.

If anyone can provide any advice/ any other brits experience of moving to new jersey it would be great.

Also i'm a chartered accountant and was hoping someone would have an idea of jobs in the moorestown area or if i would have to commute?

Any help or advice would be great..

Taxes on house purchased / income advice would also be great

thanks in advance!
Can't help you with the moving part, but CPAs/accountants can work in Philadelphia or NJ. Moorestown is roughly 13 miles from Philly. Currently a very tough economy, though. If you are moving without a job don't expect to get one quickly.

Moorestown is a great town recognized for charm, top schools and affluence. Housing can be very expensive depending where you look in town. Not sure how it would relate to the UK. Expect to pay 450K-500K USD minimum for an older 3-4 bedroom house in reasonable condition in a reasonable location in town. Some might be fixer uppers. Older victorians in the heart of town could be fixers at $700K. You need to make sure you work with a good realtor especially if you don't know the area.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:24 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Prepare yourself for some of the worst tv you have ever seen.
Nobody will understand a word you say.
They make sandwiches without butter. Shudder.
You can't get proper fish and chips anywhere.

NJ is great. Fantastic place to live. But why Mooretown?

Old 02-09-2009, 05:57 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
cause Moorestown is a gorgeous town!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post

Old 02-09-2009, 09:26 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Quote:
You just made me homesick. Aaah, proper chips.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 PM

137 posts, read 522,375 times
I suggest you watch the movie "Sicko" before you even think about moving here. ; )
If you want to watch the Premier League, you have too pay. Perhaps you can put a Slingbox at your relatives' home before coming here.

To look up the houses, go to realtor.com and type in "Moorestown, NJ" - it usually has address listed too. And if you want to look up the property tax of a particular house, go to APP.com | Monmouth and Ocean counties DataUniverse | Asbury Park Press
Look under "Homes and Taxes" and click "2007 Property Owners/Assessment"
Choose "Burlington" for county
and choose "Moorestown" for Municipality
And enter the rest of the address.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:09 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:

LOL... bacon butty, ham butty, turkey butty, chip butty!!!....
You can get BBC but you'll have to pay extra for it.
Regarding income, etc. - for that area of NJ, I would say 100K to 150K/yr is what you'll need to make between the two of you. And be prepared to give at least 30 to 40% of that back to our lovely Government.
Property taxes will be a shock for you... 8K to 15K... maybe even higher depending on what you buy.
Utilities will be a shock for you...$500 to $1000/month, again, depending on what size home you buy.
I would suggest renting for a year or two...

Old 02-10-2009, 06:12 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Don't forget everyone, that those from the UK, Europe in general, find the US quite inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia