Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:27 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
The waterfront area in particular has improved dramatically, its great to see so many people there enjoying the attractions and concerts.

Gee.....I think I'll move to Camden so I can continually visit the battleship and aquarium on alternate days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Google Streetview oddly enough is now in HD in parts of Camden
Just what everyone needs......real murder scenes in HD ?

Old 05-03-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Lynn View Post
Those parents were idiots. You can walk all over in that neighborhood and be perfectly safe.
I'm thinking those 33 murder victims might want to take exception with that statement......if they were still alive ?

Old 05-03-2010, 06:18 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Here is a great website for those interested in the excellent attractions on the Camden Waterfront, the revival of Camden is for real and I applaud the city for their great improvements:

Camden Waterfront

Old 05-03-2010, 07:26 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Gee.....I think I'll move to Camden so I can continually visit the battleship and aquarium on alternate days.
You could stretch that to a week in the summer with the baseball, concerts and festivals. You could be a regular at Hank's.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You could stretch that to a week in the summer with the baseball, concerts and festivals. You could be a regular at Hank's.

Visiting for a ball game, the battleship, or the aquarium in daylight while traveling in numbers is far different from moving your family into harms way to live there. There was a time that I would even venture into Camden for a Donkeys cheese steak but not since they opened up Donkeys Too in Medford. When you have to travel through the most dangerous city in the US to visit an attraction is it really worth the risk ? I think most people would err on the side of common sense and concern for their families safety and say no.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:04 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
I wouldn't go prancing through parts of Camden with my family, but I certainly have no issue taking them to the water front. Would I move to Camden, no, but that doesn't mean that I can't see why some people who are interested in working to improve the community would. We can pour billions of dollars into Camden and it won't fix the problems of the city, but if enough right minded citizens were willing to take on the challenge the city could rapidly be fixed. Camden needs people who give a crap about Camden and making it a better place.

Based on your mentatily Flyers Fan, why don't we just wall it off and let them fend for themselves. Finish that up with some bulldozers and call it a day.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:27 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I wouldn't go prancing through parts of Camden with my family, but I certainly have no issue taking them to the water front. Would I move to Camden, no, but that doesn't mean that I can't see why some people who are interested in working to improve the community would. We can pour billions of dollars into Camden and it won't fix the problems of the city, but if enough right minded citizens were willing to take on the challenge the city could rapidly be fixed. Camden needs people who give a crap about Camden and making it a better place.

Based on your mentatily Flyers Fan, why don't we just wall it off and let them fend for themselves. Finish that up with some bulldozers and call it a day.
If Newark can do it in 4 years , Camden can do it aswell. They need a Cory Booker type Mayor and city council.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

Well.....if you wouldn't move to Camden why would you expect anyone else to ? I do agree that pouring money into Camden is not the answer as long as we have the current population residing there as if there is anyone who actually does give a crap living there you can't here their voice over the gunfire or see them through the piles of debris and garbage. It doesn't cost anything to be clean but even the desire to live in a clean house isn't present in Camden. A wall certainly isn't the answer, however, hoping "right minded" citizens will suddenly appear and take responsibility for the mess that Camden is isn't the solution either. Bulldozing much of the abandoned and crumbling homes that can't be saved is actually a good start for many reasons. Theres no use in even attempting to create anything new with eyesore deteriorating buildings still in place housing crack dealers, prostitues and homeless. Next you need non corrupt elected officials which are hard to find in New Jersey let alone Camden. I'm sorry you don't like my mentality but I happen to reside in the world of reality and its very clear that Camden is going no where quick and a few waterfront "attractions" is not the solution to turning this city around. People attending them may pass through Camden but they are not risking their lives and stopping in the City to spend money on anything else......as if there was even anything else to spend money on there ?

Old 05-04-2010, 03:21 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Well.....if you wouldn't move to Camden why would you expect anyone else to ? I do agree that pouring money into Camden is not the answer as long as we have the current population residing there as if there is anyone who actually does give a crap living there you can't here their voice over the gunfire or see them through the piles of debris and garbage. It doesn't cost anything to be clean but even the desire to live in a clean house isn't present in Camden. A wall certainly isn't the answer, however, hoping "right minded" citizens will suddenly appear and take responsibility for the mess that Camden is isn't the solution either. Bulldozing much of the abandoned and crumbling homes that can't be saved is actually a good start for many reasons. Theres no use in even attempting to create anything new with eyesore deteriorating buildings still in place housing crack dealers, prostitues and homeless. Next you need non corrupt elected officials which are hard to find in New Jersey let alone Camden. I'm sorry you don't like my mentality but I happen to reside in the world of reality and its very clear that Camden is going no where quick and a few waterfront "attractions" is not the solution to turning this city around. People attending them may pass through Camden but they are not risking their lives and stopping in the City to spend money on anything else......as if there was even anything else to spend money on there ?
Unfortunately, this is pretty much dead on. I've often wondered why they didn't try to rehab from the 2 neighborhoods that were still liveable, & work their way out from them. (Cramer Hill is one, & I forget which one is the other) That would make sense, to just keep enlarging the liveable neighborhoods.

The worst part of this being right is your comment about the population. My best friend has worked in the court system for many, many years (since before the Hall of Justice was built) & has told horror stories about being given people who were hired as political favors. These "political favors" were born & raised in Camden & spoke only Spanglish. She knew people who had applied for the jobs, but here were the people who she was given, instead, who spoke neither English nor Spanish. How in the world do you get through 12 years of school without speaking one of the 2 languages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia