Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:25 PM

17 posts, read 53,739 times

Advertisements

Ok, so what do you think about this -- I have family living in Perkasie, PA (an hour outside of CH to the NW above philly). What about splitting the difference and living on in PA and commute to CH? Is this advisable? How bad is the traffic? Google maps has me going over the Tacony Bridge and taking PA-152 and 309 most of the way. Can I live along these routes? Is there a 'good' way to get into NJ from PA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinman View Post
Ok, so what do you think about this -- I have family living in Perkasie, PA (an hour outside of CH to the NW above philly). What about splitting the difference and living on in PA and commute to CH? Is this advisable? How bad is the traffic? Google maps has me going over the Tacony Bridge and taking PA-152 and 309 most of the way. Can I live along these routes? Is there a 'good' way to get into NJ from PA?
You know...,from what I have read, that area of PA really will be comparable (cost of living to CH) at the end of the day.

Top commuting time, costs, etc..., it will all work out in the end.

I have nothing against PA but I would much rather live here....just my 2c

Good luck!

Shanny

Old 03-01-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post

Top commuting time, costs, etc..., it will all work out in the end.

I have nothing against PA but I would much rather live here....just my 2c

So, you think it will be a wash at the end? Why would you rather live in NJ? Better schools? Area?

Old 03-01-2009, 09:20 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,364 times
Quote:
So, you think it will be a wash at the end? Why would you rather live in NJ? Better schools? Area?
In your original post you said you were "thinking" about moving to the Cherry Hill area.....just for the record exactly what is it you expect to find in Cherry Hill thats worth making the move from Michigan ? People are leaving this state in hords to escape the cost of living here !!!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:23 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,681 times
Quote:
My reasons are different. I am from Northern NJ and I am therefore close (1hr) to my family.

Schools are top-notch here. Our services are top-notch....however...I am a Jersey native so that changes things a bit. I like being a "Jersey Girl"...Your situation of course would be different.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Shanny

Old 03-02-2009, 07:13 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,075,128 times
Cherry Hill is convenient to everything with great restaurants, great shopping and tons to do. I can't personally speak about the schools, but I've heard they're excellent.

No matter what your price range you should be able to find a very nice neighborhood.

Good luck on your move.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
In your original post you said you were "thinking" about moving to the Cherry Hill area.....just for the record exactly what is it you expect to find in Cherry Hill thats worth making the move from Michigan ? People are leaving this state in hords to escape the cost of living here !!!
Valid question. I work for one of the big3 (well.. "Detroit 3" now), and things are bad here. I work for the healthier of the 3, but still... things are really bad. Housing values have dropped, the SE Michigan area has declined significantly, people's attitude is poor, notion of entitlement, etc. I've lived here all my life, and I see a significant decline is almost all areas. I'm just tired of hearing about it all. I'm considering a job offer from a defense contractor in the CH area (read: *very* secure job, 20%+ pay, signing bonus, etc.). Seems like a great opportunity. I understand the cost of living is much much higher, but my increase in salary should take care of that. Really my only concern is selling our house in Michigan, and making sure we're landing on solid ground in NJ.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,561 times
You really don't have to lock in on Cherry Hill, there are a ton of good family towns nearby with good schools and stuff.. Mt Laurel, Marlton, Medford, Moorestown, Cinnaminson, Delran, all in Burlington County (lower property taxes than Camden County)

Old 03-02-2009, 01:55 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
I moved from pa to NJ and love every second. Id move to jersey to keep the commute short and visit the family on the weekends when traffic is not bad.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:33 PM

12 posts, read 58,021 times
Woah, slow down buddy! Cherry Hill's a long way from home. You may find Camden and its post-industrial cityscape more suiting to your eye. The flea market is also very small town America. Excellent Quiznos near Deptford, one of the best I've had. You seem like a Do-it-yourselfer, the Main St. Mini Mall has an Ace hardware, your helpful hardware place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia